Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I am having 2 primary problems:

1) When using Backup Buddy v. 2.04 a couple of days ago, every time I tried to backup, it would get maybe 1/5th into the backup and crash and restart. I figured out in short order that Address.DB is what was causing the crash. [I tried to e-mail the file so I could examine it and save it, but just attaching it in SnapperMail made the device crash]. So I took the chance of deleting the Address.DB (as it seemed small and didn't appear to contain any backup information), and it looks like all of my information was retained. My question here is: two times since the initial problem, something has recreated Address.DB, which again causes the 700p to crash, so I have had to delete it again. So when is this file being (re)created, and what is the purpose of it?

2) Prior to deleting Address.DB, I of course tried to backup with HotSync on my desktop PC (HotSync Manager v. 6.01, XP). I hadn't backed up for a few weeks, and this time it crashed sometime during the backup of the Calendar (and this behavior is repeated). So I then unchecked the backup of Calendar, but then it just hung on Contacts for about 15 minutes, so I realized it wasn't doing anything anymore (I have lots of contacts, but not not 15 minutes worth). At this point I gave up, but I obviously need to figure out how to make HotSync work again. Any ideas?

An additional problem that I've had occur on a couple of occasions: After a recovery (where my BackupBuddy information was more current than my HotSync data), I restored, and all the calendar entries were double - 2 identical entries adjacent to one another. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks in advance -

B
    A backup solution. Relying upon 1 backup solution has a hidden danger - problems happen. A good backup regime should include not only the hot sync routine, but also a device based backup solution - NVBackup and Resco Backup are excellent examples.

The database is probably corrupt. Before going in to a long discussion, can you open the file up with the Palm Desk Top?

As a note, I also have Backup Buddy installed on my laptop and have never relied upon it to do a full restore. Full restores on all of my devices are done via the device based backup application.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    > A backup solution. Relying upon 1 backup solution has a hidden danger - problems happen.
    > A good backup regime should include not only the hot sync routine, but also a device based
    > backup solution - NVBackup and Resco Backup are excellent examples.

That's why I use two (BackupBuddy VFS on the device/SD card, and HotSync on the PC). I thought my e-mail made it clear that neither one is operating properly, hence my frustration, but perhaps I didn't.

> The database is probably corrupt. Before going in to a long discussion, can you open the file up with the Palm Desk Top?

I can't get it to my computer, as I mentioned I tried to e-mail it to myself from the Palm, but it made the mailer crashed - if I got it to my desktop, I have a number of ways in which I'd like to examine it.

What I find the strangest is that when the file gets recreated (by whatever), it causes crashes. Typically when a file is recreated, it is done without corruption.

Thanks -

B