Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Hey Everyone,

I just whipped up a very simple call blocking program for the PalmOS Treo/Centro line. This is a *very* light weight, feature-limited, call blocking program. In fact it's hardly a program at all, it's actually just a preference panel. The idea here is to add a new preference panel to your device to choose when certain catagories are allowed to ring and when they're not. For example you can set all "Business" contacts to only ring Mon-Fri from 9am to 5pm. Or you could make a "Blocked" catagory to add numbers that will never ring. So far the only option for blocking a call is to simply acknowlege it and do nothing. On your device it appears as though no call ever happened, to the caller it just rings until it hits voicemail. Version 1.0 will have some logging and attention manager integration but for the 0.9 Beta version I'd like to just make sure everything is working properly. Now before you ask the question "There are a ton of call blocking programs out there, why did you write another?" I will answer that. First: being a developer sometimes when there's certain functionality I want rather than finding a program to do it I'll just write one. Second: *Most* call blocking software is pretty heavy, giving you a plethera of individual blocking, scheduling, and often times ringtone management. I wanted simple and light weight. Also, I plan on pricing this program lower than all other call blocking software available so it will give the needed functionality without costing an arm and a leg.

Anyhow, I just finished this yet to be named program last night so of course it is missing a name and some screen shots. Drop me a line by either replying to this forum or a direct email and I'll see about getting you a beta version to try.

Thanks,
    - Phil -
    BoraWare
    Count me in... Thanks - mvk
    Game over!
    COunt me in as well. I don't want much more functionality than just call blocking (and perhaps SMS blocking).
    All for One and One for All!
    Having a specific option for blocking no caller ID calls, like bleeping spammers, would be nice....

I'd be interested in the beta too, I have another call block, but it doesn't offer the time of day/category option you mention, that would be very useful.
    I'd be interested in testing this software on my AT&T Centro. Thanks for considering!
    Regards,
    bh

Tungsten E, CLIE TJ27, TX, CLIE TH55 E2, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    i'll test
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I'll probably have the end-user beta ready tonight or tomorrow. If you don't want me to contact you via private message then just drop me a message to phil -at- boraware -dot- com.

Oh and the blocked ID option will be in the 1.0 version.

- Phil -
    I'd be interested too! I have Verizon Treo 755p. I've been looking for a program which will allow me to have only certain contacts (ie ONLY my co-workers - techs out in the field) to ring M-F during the day. Sometimes I forget to turn the Switch off, and next thing ya know, the boss is mad because my cell is ringing, or I'm getting an SMS.

VERY happy user of these GREAT apps:

TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial.
    Also check out the
    TAKEphONE skins , TAKEphONE skins thread

Verizon Treo 755p
    Don't let Del in the beta test, she'll be wanting you to send the blocked caller an SMS with a smiley face in it. <wink>
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Don't let Del in the beta test, she'll be wanting you to send the blocked caller an SMS with a smiley face in it. <wink>
    Well......... I wouldn't want to be rude, so sending a Smiley SMS would 'kindly' tell 'em to bug off, LOL!

Also check out the

Verizon Treo 755p
    I currently have LightWav installed...

Call block works spradically, I wouldnt mind testing your app.. (and deleting ligtwav)
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    And who says I won't include that functionality

So there's good news and bad news for the status of this new beta. The good news is that although I wasn't able to get the beta out the door last night it looks like I should be good today. All that's holding me back is porting the trial/registration stuff over from PhoneSwitch. Otherwise the version I'm running on my own Centro has worked absolutely *flawlessly* since install. Not a single crash, hang, etc. So now for the bad news... I can't come up with a name for this program. I don't want what happened to PhoneSwitch to happen to this program. PhoneSwitch was the project name that just wound up being the release name (even though it wasn't my first choice). So if you can come up with a good name let me know, I'll definitely give you credit in the app if I like it. When thinking of a name remember what it is/does:
    - It is a *preference panel* not a standard app (even though it would be a standard app by changing one thing)
    - It only blocks calls based on contact catagories (at the moment at least)
    - It doesn't appear the the caller that they've been blocked since it continues to ring for them (more block options will probably come such as answer and hangup)
    - It is *very* light weight. Weighing in at only 73kb pre registration stuff. The database that it keeps blocking info in is very lean and uses lookup techniques known to improve performance.

So let me know what you think for names.

- Phil -
    BoraWare
    Didn't know other developers too had this christening problem. But here are a few names to warm-up...

- CallSnubber
    - CallCatcher
    - CallBar
    - Obstacall (Obstacle)

Added: BlockEm
    Last edited by GreenHex; 09/03/2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: BlockEm
    Game over!
    My .02 worth "Blockware" - "CBlockware" - "CallBware" - "Callware" - "CallStop" - "CallStopper" - "CallGuard" - "CallSentry" - BlockGuard" - "CallBlocker" - "CallGuardian" - "CallSnooper" - "CallSnoop" - "Sentryware" - "Guardianware" - "SentryBlock" - "GuardianBlock" - "Sentry" - "Guardian" - "StopThis" - "BlockThis" - "Eliminator" - "PPCB" for Preference Panel Call Blocker - "BTC" for Block This Call - (if TCPMP can do it why not you)

** Add to Delpita's (hope you don't mind - didn't want to steal it) list since she used the word "aide" -> "Callaide"

I would like to beta test your call blocker also.

OT I tried your Phone Switcher Basic a while back it gave me a lockup problems - and I have a request for the same program - let me know the best way to submit the problem and request.

Thanks.
    Last edited by MouseGlider; 09/02/2008 at 04:34 PM.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Hmmmm.......... how about "Blockaide" ........not Blockade, but kinda the same thing....

Blockade definition: obstruct; hinder or prevent the progress or accomplishment of

aide: An assistant; An officer who acts as assistant to a more senior one

Ergo: Blockaide: helping to obstruct..........

or something like that...........

I'll just go hide in the corner if this doesn't make any sense....... the voices in my head made it sound like a great idea.

Also check out the

Verizon Treo 755p
    I'd be interested in the beta also.

How about something like GroupBlock or GroupSilencer.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    So far there are a lot of good candidates. I'll put my top picks in a poll on boraware.com tonight and let people vote on it. I'll also raise the stakes, if I pick yours you'll not only get a free copy of the yet to be named program but also a free copy of PhoneSwitch Deluxe... so keep them coming!
    LibertyCall
    PhoneFreedom
    CryFreedom
    CallMaster
    FreedomCall
    CallPlanner
    ControlaCall
    Don'tBugMe
    BusySignal
    I'mBusy
    PhoneBoss
    CallCenter
    and the obvious one: CallSwitch
    Last edited by Treo Musketeers; 09/02/2008 at 05:40 PM.
    After spending an hour trying to put a 1 year old down to bed, a new name popped in my head. QuietTime.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast