1.    #1  
    I spent a frustrating day in a meeting with no AT&T signal while my friend using a Blackberry on AT&T received mail all day. Has anyone else noticed that their GSM Centro is less sensitive or gets poorer coverage that other GSM phones? I'm trying to determine if I have a warranty issue or just a phone that's not quite as well made as competitors. I'm especially interested in knowing how your Centro performs when compared with other GSM phones side by side.
    Last edited by Mark Bergman; 08/31/2008 at 07:48 AM. Reason: clarification
    Mark Bergman
    I live in Orlando and have GREAT reception. I went to WV two months ago and had 0-1 bars. My wife has a Treo 650 and had 2-3 bars.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    My Centro appears better than my Treo 650 and about the same as my Nokia 6650 or Panasonic A500 as far as the (displayed) signal level is concerned. I could make a call with a Centro where the 650 would give-up. (I have an unlocked GSM Centro)
    I have a CDMA Centro and get great signal everywhere.
    There is some discussion on AT&T's poor performance this weekend in the GSM forum. Your friend's Blackberry gets its email from RIM's servers.
  6.    #6  
    The issue isn't the mail server response of RIM or other. Without a wireless signal one cannot connect to anything. The Blackberry and the Centro rely on the same wireless signal.
    I'm curious - what is the address for the GSM Forum?
    Mark Bergman
    I'm hoping when I get my new centro, it'll get better reception than my T680, because if I'm not near a window while I'm in a building on campus, i get no bars
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerGonerson View Post
    I'm hoping when I get my new centro, it'll get better reception than my T680, because if I'm not near a window while I'm in a building on campus, i get no bars
    I used to have real spotty signal at work with my 700P, but with my Centro I have a usable signal through more of the building.
    We recently went to visit our friends in Savannah, GA and their house is surrounded by trees. My white GSM Centro which I got in March of this year got no coverage. The LED light was red. However, my husband's black GSM Centro which he got in August had a single bar strength. I even held it side by side, at the same spot and still my white Centro didn't get any signal. I wasn't too happy about it but most of all, I don't understand why one Centro gets better signal than the other. BTW, ATT has dropped a lot of our calls while we're talking with each other on our Centros. However, our calls were seldom dropped when we both were using Motorola RAZRs. And if I talk to friends who use non-Centro phones, our calls don't get dropped either. So, is it ATT or is it Centro's problem?
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cutiebunny View Post
    We recently went to visit our friends in Savannah, GA and their house is surrounded by trees. My white GSM Centro which I got in March of this year got no coverage. The LED light was red. However, my husband's black GSM Centro which he got in August had a single bar strength. I even held it side by side, at the same spot and still my white Centro didn't get any signal. I wasn't too happy about it but most of all, I don't understand why one Centro gets better signal than the other. BTW, ATT has dropped a lot of our calls while we're talking with each other on our Centros. However, our calls were seldom dropped when we both were using Motorola RAZRs. And if I talk to friends who use non-Centro phones, our calls don't get dropped either. So, is it ATT or is it Centro's problem?
    Obviously, black absorbs signal better and white reflects! No - there are always going to be variances in production. Could be that there were slight changes in design (is yours a lower serial #?) but more likely is a variance from component specs. Same reason why some folks have great luck and nothing but praise for an electronic item, while others have endless problems. Companies build and test what they consider a reasonable number of prototypes, but variances in specs may not turn up in the test samples. When it goes into mass production two adjacent components that can individually vary in spec by up to 5% may together vary by too much - or one may be off by 20% and completely out of spec. When a capacitor or resistor is produced, it is rated for its tolerance to spec, usually 1%, 2%, 5% or 10%. The smaller the tolerance rating the more expensive, so the company building the end product will put in what they feel they can get away with and still keep the cost low. The component manufacturer spot checks them, but some will always sneak through that are outside tolerance. If the manufacturers tested every component and stuck with 1% rated components, the cost would be very high. Or your husband just deserves a better phone than you do ;-)
    Last edited by bbtkd; 09/06/2008 at 05:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbtkd View Post
    Obviously, black absorbs signal better and white reflects! No - there are always going to be variances in production. Could be that there were slight changes in design (is yours a lower serial #?) but more likely is a variance from component specs. Same reason why some folks have great luck and nothing but praise for an electronic item, while others have endless problems. Companies build and test what they consider a reasonable number of prototypes, but variances in specs may not turn up in the test samples. When it goes into mass production two adjacent components that can individually vary in spec by up to 5% may together vary by too much - or one may be off by 20% and completely out of spec. When a capacitor or resistor is produced, it is rated for its tolerance to spec, usually 1%, 2%, 5% or 10%. The smaller the tolerance rating the more expensive, so the company building the end product will put in what they feel they can get away with and still keep the cost low. The component manufacturer spot checks them, but some will always sneak through that are outside tolerance. If the manufacturers tested every component and stuck with 1% rated components, the cost would be very high. Or your husband just deserves a better phone than you do ;-)
    You know what, I'd rather that my husband have the better phone. He's the one who gets the important calls. I was the one who got him the Centro because I am confident enough that this phone is reliable and just plain awesome. His biggest pet peeve is a lousy unreliable cell phone and it can actually turn him into a dinosaur! So, even though I was disappointed that my phone didn't get as good of a signal strength as his, I am glad that he got a good phone. However, I still don't understand why our calls get dropped when we are both talking to each other but not when we talk to other non-Centro phones.
    FWIW, I have a CDMA Centro and I've had great signal everywhere (East Coast and Canada) and have never had a dropped call.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Yeah, in FL my CDMA Sprint Centro pretty much has a full signal everywhere.
    CDMA Centro in Northern Cali with no reception problems. Sounds like an AT&T issue even if the blackberry is getting signal. How strong was the signal on the blackberry when you had no signal on your GSM Centro?
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo