1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I got my unlocked Centro in the mail about a week ago, and I started configuring it last Saturday. I'm on T-Mobile, if it helps.

I've had a few issues:

1. The software that came on the included CD didn't work at all. The included HotSync sub-program would not initialize and would crash every time, even after I reinstalled a fresh version downloaded from Palm. Solution? I rolled the computer back a few days. The phone seems to sync just fine on the old Palm Desktop software that I last installed when I got a Tungsten E2.

I'm sure it's optimal to be on the new software, and I'd like to be, but I don't have time to be messing around with a HotSync conduit that *does not work*. Has anybody found a solution for this? For the record, I'm running XP Pro. I'm probably not optimally patched because this is a bootleg version I've been running since ~2001

2. I bought a Patriot 4gb SDHC card. I cannot get it to be recognized either within the phone or through the adapter and a USB card reader. Is it safe to assume it's a completely bad card?

3. I've imported my contacts from the SIM, and now I have duplicates, sometimes triplicates if I had a contact in the Palm software and also in the phone. How can I clean it all up so I have 1 copy of each contact with multiple phone numbers under one name instead of duplicates?

After that, how do I clear the names off the SIM for the same reason as above? Does SimBook take care of this?

4. One more thing, and it's more of a minor annoyance than a genuine problem... The keyboard says QWERTZ

The Z and the Y are switched on the keyboard. They work perfectly as far as the QWERTY layout goes. Is this common to all the unlocked phones shipped?

Sorry for all the questions on my first post

-Matt

*edit* One more thing: I just did a HotSync and the phone did a 'full reboot', as in it showed the Palm splash screen and "Powered by Access" again. Is this normal? I just did this yesterday and now I can't get the Palm Desktop open
    1. I think the Palm Desktop software on the CD is meant for Vista, and it works fine on my laptop with Vista Home Premium SP1. If the older version works for you, definitely use it.

2. I think the Centro is supposed to be able to use up to a 4GB micro-SDHC, so if it isn't recognizing yours (and the computer isn't either), I'd say it's a bad card. I have a 2GB micro-(regular)SD and it works fine.

3. I can't advise there because I didn't import my SIM contacts.

4. Mine is qwerty, not qwertz. (Are you saying when you press the Z you get a Y and vice versa, i.e. the buttons are in each other's positions?)
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    You have a German version of the phone (they use the QWERZ keyboard). Did you get it through Palm or some other site?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    You have a German version of the phone (they use the QWERZ keyboard). Did you get it through Palm or some other site?
    I bought it directly from Palm.com... the US site. I'm in the USA, I bought it on the internet from within the USA, it shipped from within the USA, and was shipped to within the USA...

The old software and hotsync is working fine for now. *crosses fingers*

I'll address the microSD issue next weekend, maybe with the 'insert card while warm rebooting' trick.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Still, sounds like they sent the wrong phone to you.