Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi, forum newb here!

I have a Verizon Centro that's paired w/ a Blueant z9i. On my end I get a lot (I mean a lot) of static--even when I move the phone closer to the BT unit. Even if I put the phone in my pocket while it's on the same side as the BT, the static is pretty bad.

I've also tested the centro w/ my brother's Plantronics 925 as well as the Moto H700 that I recently returned b/c of static issues--both units gave the same symptoms. I'm thinking it may be the phone..

Anybody else have this problem?
  2.    #2  
    bump.

anybody else have problems with call quality w/ a centro while on a BT?

I may take it down to a verizon store today to see if they can do anything (doubt it, though)
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I found the Centro BT and headsets quite sensitive and you need a headset with good signal strength to avoid static.

Best thing to suggest is keep the phone on the same side of your body as the headset and don't move around too much, but it seems you've already done that.

I'm using a Plantronics 510 and it sounds fine with the Centro in my pocket near my knees, but if I start moving around I get some static. In the car, where I'm sitting down it is fine.

I tested a Plantronics 510, 520, 925, and Motorola 700. Motorola was the worst for static. 510 was the best (meaning least to almost no static when stationary)
  4.    #4  
    I seriously think something is wrong with the phone--even if I'm holding it at arm's length on the same side of my body my speech is pretty much unintelligible to the other person.

Verizon is sending me a new unit...should get here next week.
  5.    #5  
    Well, I don't know what's going on...

Verizon replaced my Centro, thinking it was a bad BT radio in it, but I'm still experiencing the same issues: static, callers complaining that my voice keeps dropping/cutting out.

I'm wondering if this is a problem inherent to the phone's design itself...

Are there other Centro users out there who have had no problems w/ their BT headsets, especially the Blueant z9i?
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I think the Centro just has a very picky bluetooth.

Only headsets that have the strongest bluetooth signal strength will give acceptable performance and even then there is some static when you move around.

For headsets with marginal bluetooth signal (even if they work fine with other bluetooth phones) it probably won't be acceptable on a Centro.

The other thing to look at is if you have a case that might interfere with the BT. I have a case with a magnetic clip and sometimes if I move it around I can generate static.
    BT headsets have a long way to go. stop looking for the holy grail because it doesn't exist - yet.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    BT headsets have a long way to go. stop looking for the holy grail because it doesn't exist - yet.

I realize that, but all the headsets I've used thus far w/ the Centro have been inadequate. The same people the complain about my voice quality don't complain about my brothers' (yes, 2 of them) when they're using the same headsets that I use (w/ different phones, of course).
    I have yet to find a decent BT earpiece. I've tried probably at least 10 out there, including changing out my Centro phone. If anyone has a suggestion out there, please let me know
    Sprint Centro (Latest Firmware) and BlueAnt Z9i (Latest Firmware) has been working flawlessy for me. I get occassional static when my phone and/or headset is in very close proximity to other devices with bluetooth or wifi e.g. While im on the phone using my headset and playing the PS3. Which also happens to be the only time the static occurs. YMMV. On a side note, I'd just like to say out of the dozens of headsets i've tried, the BlueAnt Z9i is hands down the best one i've ever used! Thanks.
    SCala 500 works fine, but I do notice that the Centro is very finicky about working with my Blueant Supertooth II. I also have a Blueant Z9 headset on the way because it got such great reviews for noise cancellation.
    Mark Bergman
  12.    #12  
    I tried using a Plantronics 925 again and it works really well! It sounds good to me and no complaints on the other end!

I still have the z9i, and I guess if there's ever a firmware update for the Verizon Centro maybe I'll try it again.
    I have the jabra 8040 and it had worked great no static what so ever, on the first 2 centros i had but the last 2 i can not understand anyone and they can't hear me either. I'm going to be calling in about this again. To me i feel it is the luck of the draw if you get a non working BT on your centro.
    I just bought a z9 and upgraded it to the latest z9i software. Has worked great on the 4 calls I made this morning. Static wasn't an issue, and I have the Centro on my left hip with the z9 on mt right ear.

I also have a jawbone and Moto H710. All work reasonably well. I seem to get a few people that complain about my voice dropping out, but it's been with all three headsets.

I think the centro has marginal bletooth quality, and it will always be one of its little ongoing annoying problems
  15.    #15  
    Looks like there's a Verizon Centro firmware update up now! I downloaded and installed it tonight...I'll try it w/ my Blueant for a couple of days and see if my situation improves...
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
    Looks like there's a Verizon Centro firmware update up now! I downloaded and installed it tonight...I'll try it w/ my Blueant for a couple of days and see if my situation improves...

Oh yeah, here's the link for the update:

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl...e/verizon.html
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lyrictenor1 View Post
    I tried using a Plantronics 925 again and it works really well! It sounds good to me and no complaints on the other end!
    What changed? When you tried it earlier (in the first post) there seemed to be problems with the 925.

Personally I would probably reboot the phone when trying different headsets just to be sure the Bluetooth radio and firmware are reset properly.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    What changed? When you tried it earlier (in the first post) there seemed to be problems with the 925.

Personally I would probably reboot the phone when trying different headsets just to be sure the Bluetooth radio and firmware are reset properly.

Well, the static on my end was still the same--wasn't quite as bad as the z9i however. Now, the difference was that I didn't get a lot of feedback from people on the other end of hte line the first time I tried the 925, but the second time I tried it I realized no one was complaining about my voice quality (which was a far cry from experiences w/ the other BT headsets).

The z9i has been faring much much better after the VZW centro update. No complaints from the other ends of calls yet! We'll how this keeps up...
    i've tried 3 different blue tooth headsets with my centro. they are all static.

The motopure h12 sucked bad. Static on my end and people couldn't hear me. I also could barely hear them. I now use the newest version of jawbone. People say it sounds perfectly clear and normal on their end. I still hear tons of static on my end. I just got used to it.
    oh ya, those headsets worked fine on my motoQ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast