1.    #1  
    I'm probably getting the Centro (maybe the 680) and am into Astronomy. I know there are some Astronomy apps out there, but would to know if anyone has used one that is completely compatible with the Centro and is also a good app.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    The only things I have like that are basically constellation chart programs that show what's in the sky. I have an old version of SkyChart that's free and I used for a long time on plain Palm PDAs, except it seems to hijack the hard buttons on my Centro so that pressing Home doesn't go home -- I have to use Opt+Home to get out. PalmUniverse is a similar program that doesn't have that Home key problem, but I don't like its display as much. It works fine though. I know there are other programs like these, but I think they're shareware and since these free ones do what I want (which isn't much, mainly just locating planets), I haven't tried them. I hope this helps.
  3.    #3  
    THANK YOU.
    Every little bit of information helps me. I've been reading this and other blogs in hopes of preping myself before I buy a Centro or Treo 680.
    Do a Google search on pruss and astronomy, he's a developer (NVBackup for one) and I believe he recently wrote a few new astronomy things. Not sure where I saw his posts though, could be 1src.com.
    Here's a link to some astronomy freeware.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/astronomy/astronomy.shtml

Freewarepalm is a pretty good site. I haven't tried any of these but freeware is freeware. Some cool some lame.

Just found this program too.
    http://www.astromist.com/pages/download.html
    Think I'm going to try it out myself!
    Last edited by whypayforit; 08/26/2008 at 11:22 PM.
    You've posted this same question in several other threads. Please stop.
    Pruss is fascinating to say the least.
    Here's one. It's shareware so it's not free, but you can at least try it to see if it does what you want.

Planetarium
    Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    You've posted this same question in several other threads. Please stop.
    Sue: Well, I'm just trying to get as many responses as possible. I don't know about you, but I consider buying a smartphone and any associated apps (downloading free apps I just need compatibility and storage info) a serious business. I'm also very new to smartphones (unlike perhaps you), so the more info I get here and in other threads obviously will be beneficial to me.

So my apologies, but since the administrator has not told me to stop doing that I'm going to use the discussion boards of this site as I see fit. You'll be happy to know, however, that I've gotten the info I need. (at least regarding the Astronomy apps for Centro)

Best,
    treo800want
    Last edited by treo800want; 08/27/2008 at 10:11 AM.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by whypayforit View Post
    Here's a link to some astronomy freeware.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/astronomy/astronomy.shtml

Freewarepalm is a pretty good site. I haven't tried any of these but freeware is freeware. Some cool some lame.

Just found this program too.
    http://www.astromist.com/pages/download.html
    Think I'm going to try it out myself!
    Hey, just saw the astronomy program from the website you posted - - looks pretty good! Hope it works well on your Centro!
    Quote Originally Posted by treo800want View Post
    Sue: Well, I'm just trying to get as many responses as possible. I don't know about you, but I consider buying a smartphone and any associated apps (downloading free apps I just need compatibility and storage info) a serious business. I'm also very new to smartphones (unlike perhaps you), so the more info I get here and in other threads obviously will be beneficial to me.

So my apologies, but since the administrator has not told me to stop doing that I'm going to use the discussion boards of this site as I see fit. You'll be happy to know, however, that I've gotten the info I need. (at least regarding the Astronomy apps for Centro)

Best,
    treo800want

Actually you might want to review the FORUM Guidelines at the top of the thread list.

In particular the bullet item listed below:

# Crossposting - Do not post your question in multiple forums.

The fact that a moderator hasn't specifically personally requested you abide by the guidelines does not necessarily mean you are exempt from them.

THANKS
    You will find that the good astronomy programs require lots of memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    You will find that the good astronomy programs require lots of memory.
    Not to mention money.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip10 View Post
    Actually you might want to review the FORUM Guidelines at the top of the thread list.

In particular the bullet item listed below:

# Crossposting - Do not post your question in multiple forums.

The fact that a moderator hasn't specifically personally requested you abide by the guidelines does not necessarily mean you are exempt from them.

THANKS
    Well, fair enough. But I'm done with the Astronomy app question. I only asked this question in a few areas anyway, and wasn't intending to prolong the question (badgering bloggers for the same information). I'm new at this blog, wasn't aware of how touchy some (I've only gotten the one complaint) longstanding bloggers are to this kind of problem. So thank you for the tip of reading forum guidelines!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfyn View Post
    Not to mention money.
    Possibly I'll use the Sky & Telescope magazine website, to satisfy my astronomy lust.
    It is not a matter of being touchy. Consideration. Most of us have no problem in offering assistance, but seeing the same question time and time again is time consuming and on occasion, one may answer the same question without initially realizing it. One time, one place, it works.

Quote Originally Posted by treo800want View Post
    Well, fair enough. But I'm done with the Astronomy app question. I only asked this question in a few areas anyway, and wasn't intending to prolong the question (badgering bloggers for the same information). I'm new at this blog, wasn't aware of how touchy some (I've only gotten the one complaint) longstanding bloggers are to this kind of problem. So thank you for the tip of reading forum guidelines!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It is not a matter of being touchy. Consideration. Most of us have no problem in offering assistance, but seeing the same question time and time again is time consuming and on occasion, one may answer the same question without initially realizing it. One time, one place, it works.
    OK, got it! I'll ask a different question based on comments here and keep it to one thread from now on.
    Planetarium is a great Astronomy program - check it out. Very programmable too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    Yes it it. There is a link to it in my post (#8) in this thread. I believe it works with Styletap too.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    And it works on the Centro without taking too much memory?