Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've searched several forums, and I know I saw a thread about freeware, or software people were listing what they had on their centros.

i downloaded a couple i really like, but now my phone is resetting every 2 minutes when its plugged into the charger!! Very annoying

is there someone that could tell me the best thing to do or maybe do i need an uninstaller program, since i deleted applications i didn't need, but there still seems to be alot of stuff in the "delete" list.

btw, I LOVE THIS PHONE...if it will quit restarting lol
    i really appreciate any help! Thanks a bunch,
    Lori
    Have you tried doing a hard reset? Remove battery, press and hold the up button till the Palm logo status bar disappears, then release the up button. It should ask you if you want to erase all files. Choose yes and it should restore your phone to its original settings, minus all the softwares you have added. Just re-sync to put back all your contacts, calendars, etc.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I was hoping to keep that as a last resort...but maybe the easiest. I have mini tones and skinui that I love on the phone... I had also downloaded butterfly, but never got it to work, or i didn't understand it...LOL
    I deleted the butterfly, but haven't done a hard reset since then...thanks!
    Could you maybe tell us what two applications you nstalled?

It would help us help you if we knew....

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    the truth is i nstalled a few that i don't even know what now, b/c i deleted them...filz, butterfly, alert hack, mini tones, & skinui.
    I'll try the hard reset, b/c i'm really starting to feel silly for just downloading at free will...i know better! :0) thanks again....
    IF you have skinUI, turn off the big buttons option. That is a source for resets.

Since you sound like you are doing a hard reset, the first app you need to install after you get your phone up and running again is NVBackup. This will allow you to back up your phone to a card. Then as you install software, you will always have the option to do a hard reset and restore from the previous night's backup. If you are really unsure about something, you can do a manual backup prior to the installation of the new app and restore from that instant.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    i did the hard reset, it loaded stuff back on that i'd deleted...i know the big buttons were off b4 now i can't even start skinui, it resets it when i try.
    You should be able to boot the Centro in "safe" mode by holding up the rocker while booting. This should let you get in and delete the app again.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    arghhhhhhhhh....I can't get rid of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by loribug26 View Post
    i did the hard reset, it loaded stuff back on that i'd deleted
    I don't have a Centro, but seems to me you didn't do a hard reset. At least none of the Treos I've own had pre-installed apps in RAM that one could delete. Just ROM apps (that can't be deleted). Again, I don't know for sure if Centros come with pre-installed RAM apps or not. But if they don't, then you didn't really do a hard reset on yours. Because if you did, the device should be free of deletable apps and free of possible resets after a hard reset.

Then (after hard resetting) you should first install NVBackup, then install the other apps one by one. Trying one app at a time after installation, then doing a manual backup, and then installing the next one, and so on. So when/if one app creates a reset you know that's the app with the problem.
    Last edited by Cheker; 08/25/2008 at 04:51 PM.
    You will have to go into the Palm Desktop folder in Documents and Settings, Username, Documents and find the folder that looks like your username. Go in that folder and rename the Backup folder. Then when you hotsync, it won't put the old stuff back on.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    You will have to go into the Palm Desktop folder in Documents and Settings, Username, Documents and find the folder that looks like your username. Go in that folder and rename the Backup folder. Then when you hotsync, it won't put the old stuff back on.
    I agree, either you were unsuccessful in doing your hard reset (you would see none of your downloaded stuff at all afterwards) or you need to do the above procedure to keep the phone from loading your old software. It will still load all the PIM stuff.

Then, add programs SLOWLY to the phone. Give them time to cause a reset before adding the next one. Filez should be fairly safe to add (of the programs you listed). Some programs are fine by themselves but cause conflicts with other 3rd party stuff.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Thanks! I did do the hard reset, but then as soon as i hotsynced again, it all just came back from the backup folder. Problem is now, i have about 4 or 5 backup folders, and i don't know which one to change. We are on a network and there are folders in my profile, and on the hard drive...
    to bad there's not a way to delete all the palm stuff completely and start over with out losing my archives....
    I'll keep trying!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    ok so i had my centro really up...but I think i've gotten most of it fixed. i hotsync to my work computer which is on a network. when i was going thru the back up folders, i realized there are several...some on the network drive and some on the hard drive.
    Can anyone tell me if its possible to figure out how or which ones to delete, so it's not so hard to find the right one? Thanks!!
    oh and are there any other good "skin" freeware programs other than skinui?
    I think that's the prog that was causing me fits....
    actually if it would work without messing up the rest of my stuff i'd pay a good amount for it probably!
    that will depend upon how the network is set up. Off the top of my head, I'd say look for the creation dates on the files and delete them by age (oldest to newest). Personally I don't have the phone backup my treo at all anymore and strictly use NVBackup (and I also use the upload to ftp option to keep at least one copy somewhere besides my phone).

There is no other freeware option for skinning. You could go through skinUI and disable everything in it and start adding them several at a time and test it while you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by loribug26 View Post
    oh and are there any other good "skin" freeware programs other than skinui?
    A simple way to make a major improvement to the appearance of your phone is to install Takephone. Not freeware (30 day free trial) but well worth the price IMO.