Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Dilemma - - deciding to buy a palm, stuck between treo 680, 750 or a Centro.
    Was wondering what your opinions are on each of the above (I'm leaning toward to 680 and then wait for 850 when released to go down in price).
    Had mine for 2 years and have absolutely worn it ragged. It's not the most cutting edge specs as you know, but the intangibles are tremendous and it runs my business on the road. Do not upgrade to ATT latest firmware or you'll get extra lag issues. Definitely worth getting at today's prices on eBay. If you have small hands and can live with a smaller screen then the Centro is a bit better. 750 is long in the tooth and WM OS.
    Patrick Horne
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Had mine for 2 years and have absolutely worn it ragged. It's not the most cutting edge specs as you know, but the intangibles are tremendous and it runs my business on the road. Do not upgrade to ATT latest firmware or you'll get extra lag issues. Definitely worth getting at today's prices on eBay. If you have small hands and can live with a smaller screen then the Centro is a bit better. 750 is long in the tooth and WM OS.
    Much thanks! Actually, the smaller screen of the centro seems to be my only concern of that device.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo800want View Post
    Much thanks! Actually, the smaller screen of the centro seems to be my only concern of that device.
    Just to clarify, the Centro has the exact same resolution screen (320x320) as that of the Treo 680. It's just that the dimensions are a bit smaller in order to accomodate the more compact form factor of the Centro.
    I love the 680 enough to have gotten it twice! Had to replace it when the card slot gave out. The Centro has keys that are too small for me, no "smile" keyboard, and a too-small screen. Otherwise - I believe the Centro ranks higher in the Palm hierarchy, having gotten the "690" number, vs. the 680 number of our beloved Treo. Waiting, impatiently, for a Nova device! (but has to have a keyboard)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey View Post
    Just to clarify, the Centro has the exact same resolution screen (320x320) as that of the Treo 680. It's just that the dimensions are a bit smaller in order to accomodate the more compact form factor of the Centro.
    I realize the resolution issue, but still the physical screen size is my concern.
    It may not matter in the end. I keep hearing its the better all around phone, newer, snappier, less breakdowns, etc. I've only had a glance at two at the ATT store, but they both appear small, smaller than what we see in pictures or video demos...that's something I have to get over.

Probably comes down to how it feels and looks in my hands.
    Throw out the size of the screen and KB and the Centro is a little better. The cam is much better, but it uses micro SD too. I prefer the 680 because of the better screen viewability, more spacious KB, and true SD expansion. The Centro fits in the hand a bit better and has updated SW and hardware, but at the end of the day they are about as close in spec as any two Palm phones.
    Patrick Horne
    I realize the resolution issue, but still the physical screen size is my concern.
    It may not matter in the end. I keep hearing its the better all around phone, newer, snappier, less breakdowns, etc. I've only had a glance at two at the ATT store, but they both appear small, smaller than what we see in pictures or video demos...that's something I have to get over.

Probably comes down to how it feels and looks in my hands.
    Why don't you just buy the Centro and the 680 from the ATT store (without renewing or changing your contract)? It'll be pricey (you can put it on your credit card between billing cycles), but you can try out the phones for 30 days and return them without any obligation. Holding them for 5 minutes in the store just isn't enough time to do a proper evaluation. Just pop in your SIM card into the new phone and you'll be good to go. That's what I did when the Centro first came out. A month should be plenty of time to figure out if the size of the Centro is too small for your needs. Once you're done, return the phones and then re-purchase them (at a lower cost by renewing or changing your contract).
  9.    #9  
    Why don't you just buy the Centro and the 680 from the ATT store (without renewing or changing your contract)? It'll be pricey (you can put it on your credit card between billing cycles), but you can try out the phones for 30 days and return them without any obligation. Holding them for 5 minutes in the store just isn't enough time to do a proper evaluation. Just pop in your SIM card into the new phone and you'll be good to go. That's what I did when the Centro first came out. A month should be plenty of time to figure out if the size of the Centro is too small for your needs. Once you're done, return the phones and then re-purchase them (at a lower cost by renewing or changing your contract).
    That's definitely something I could try. I was considering doing that for just the Centro, but you're right - - for some extra money I could look at both and give one or both back before the 30 days is up.
  10.    #10  
    Throw out the size of the screen and KB and the Centro is a little better. The cam is much better, but it uses micro SD too. I prefer the 680 because of the better screen viewability, more spacious KB, and true SD expansion. The Centro fits in the hand a bit better and has updated SW and hardware, but at the end of the day they are about as close in spec as any two Palm phones.
    How much expansion of memory can the 680 go to? I've read on other threads conflicting informaton on this. I know the Centro can carry up to 4gb SD card, which I've been told is plenty even for heavy palm users.
    16gb for sure and someone the other day was touting a good run on the new 32gb, but unverified. My 8gb works perfectly. SD is just better for most in terms of old periphs, cost, and availability. For me the Micro is too small for frequent use. My son's Centro is a royal pain inserting and removing the card, not even considering that the back must be removed. Micro is the future on phones tho.
    Patrick Horne
    How much expansion of memory can the 680 go to? I've read on other threads conflicting informaton on this. I know the Centro can carry up to 4gb SD card, which I've been told is plenty even for heavy palm users.
    In theory, it should support 32GB and probably even 64GB. I myself am running a 16GB with no issues. The only small problem is that the 680 or Centro will not correctly report the full size of the card if it is more than 4 GB (but it is still completely useable). However, if you put more than 4GB worth of data on it, then the remainder space will be correctly displayed. For example, if you have a 16 GB card, but only put 1 GB on there, Palm OS will only report 3 GB free space. But if you put, say, 5 GB on there, then the phone will correctly report it as 11 GB free.
  13.    #13  
    In theory, it should support 32GB and probably even 64GB. I myself am running a 16GB with no issues. The only small problem is that the 680 or Centro will not correctly report the full size of the card if it is more than 4 GB (but it is still completely useable). However, if you put more than 4GB worth of data on it, then the remainder space will be correctly displayed. For example, if you have a 16 GB card, but only put 1 GB on there, Palm OS will only report 3 GB free space. But if you put, say, 5 GB on there, then the phone will correctly report it as 11 GB free.
    That is quite amazing. Now if it is true I actually have up to 16gb of storage available on the added SD card, then I'm now leaning toward acquiring a 680. I don't mind its lowly VGA camera..is it really that bad?
  14.    #14  
    What is ATT's latest firmware? If I buy the refurbished 680 currently available (apparently according to the ATT website no new ones available) from ATT would already have the latest firmware installed?
    You may not want the latest firmware. Several posters have mentioned the inability to send/receive SMS message of over 160 characters after upgrading to the newest firmware.
  16.    #16  
    Nice to know, thank you...
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    You may not want the latest firmware. Several posters have mentioned the inability to send/receive SMS message of over 160 characters after upgrading to the newest firmware.
    I'm not big on SMS, but good to know...I guess it can't hurt to ask about this at ATT.
    I don't mind its lowly VGA camera..is it really that bad?
    This review of the 680 has some sample pictures taken with its VGA camera. You can compare them to the pictures taken with the Centro's camera here.
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I bought my 680 in August a week before the Centro hit the UK. My wife bought the Centro; she likes the Centro's smaller size (more 'phone like) and thinks the 680 looks a bit too corporate for her tastes. I like the Centro for the size but find the keyboard harder to use.

Yeah, the Centro has a better camera too - but it's a mobile 'phone camera, if you want to take "proper" pictures, neither is up to the task. Same too with the keyboard; the 680's keyboard is easier to use, but for moderate text entry I'd recommend a wireless keyboard.

Our usage is very different, but her Centro has great battery life and is very stable.

If I had of waited for another week we would probably both have Centros; I'm not unhappy with the 680 and there are more accessories available, but it's smaller size is more useful than not, if you see what I mean.
    I'm not big on SMS, but good to know...I guess it can't hurt to ask about this at ATT.
    It won't hurt to ask, but just don't expect an answer any greater than the ATT "party line". Their sales force are rarely going to even know that such an update even exists. Then if they see if after looking it up, then they are going read you the two sentence description and say "yeah it's a good thing".

I'm saying from hundreds and hundreds of hours of actual usage before and after the latest ATT update that the lag is going to commonly appear. Frustration is not strong enough to describe this. Especially after almost none existed before the update. AT&T employees are rarely if ever going to describe such negatives.

Word to the wise. Do some research at TreoCentral / Treonauts etc and listen to real users.
    Patrick Horne
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast