Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    To keep it simple, if you are a true power user and need a big screen/keyboard/battery/stylus, then go with the 680. Otherwise, the Centro has noticably better performance, a much better software bundle, and much better camera quality. And it's cheaper and a good bit newer.

The Centro loses out to the older 680/700p/755p Treos in the following categories:

1. Screen size. The Centro's screen IS noticably smaller!

2. Battery capacity. The 680 has a 1200mAh battery standard vs. the Centro's 1150mAh. But the big difference here is that you can get a Seidio OEM-size 1600mAh battery and, if you can live with the "hump", you can go up to 2400mAh. Nothing larger than the standard 1150mAh is available for the Centro without making it considerably thicker, in which case you might want to just get another device.

3. Keyboard size/comfort. I wouldn't use the Centro for typing anything more than very short memos/e-mails/SMS. I absolutely detest the Centro keyboard
    I've also found its keyboard backlighting to be quite dim and difficult to read under dim (not dark) conditions.

4. Stylus size/comfort. The Centro has the worst stylus I've ever used on a Palm OS device, bar none.

5. Memory card accessibility & format. You can use fullsize SDHC (4gb officially & 8/16gb unofficially) on the 680, which can come in very handy if you want to swap cards between your Treo, PC & digital camera. The Centro also requires a lot more fiddling to change memory cards.

6. Available accessories. Aside from batteries, there are a lot more accessories available for the older 680/750 formfactor than for the Centro and they are usually available a bit cheaper.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    I have giant hands and the Centro keyboard is fine. Its just a matter of getting used to it.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    There are several astronomy applications (charts and such) for PalmOS. And most of them are NOT freeware. Most old PalmOS applications should work flawlessly on the Centro. Memory should never be a problem with the Centro.

I'll keep an eye open and post them here in case I come across any interesting ones.

Not everything is good about the Centro. You must know that the Centro keyboard is bad before plonking down your money. I mean BAD. (compared with the 650/ 680/ 700/ 750). Almost everything else about the Centro is better, and I don't mind the diminished battery life.

The Blue Centro does look good and Blue is my favourite color too. Blue watch, Blue car, Blue USB drive... but I have a White Centro, as Blue is not avalable here.

- mvk
    Too bad on the color. I've seen a video demo by Dieter Bohn who shows it's really not too hard to type on the Centro, though he's very experienced at it. I probably could get used to it as I plan to use the Documents to go word to write stories and articles. But I'm still undecided between Centro and 680. Thank you for keeping an eye out for good Astronomy apps...Planetarium was recommended to by someone.
    Last edited by treo800want; 08/28/2008 at 04:42 PM.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    I have giant hands and the Centro keyboard is fine. Its just a matter of getting used to it.
    Dieter Bohn agrees (in his video demos of Centro).
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    To keep it simple, if you are a true power user and need a big screen/keyboard/battery/stylus, then go with the 680. Otherwise, the Centro has noticably better performance, a much better software bundle, and much better camera quality. And it's cheaper and a good bit newer.

The Centro loses out to the older 680/700p/755p Treos in the following categories:

1. Screen size. The Centro's screen IS noticably smaller!

2. Battery capacity. The 680 has a 1200mAh battery standard vs. the Centro's 1150mAh. But the big difference here is that you can get a Seidio OEM-size 1600mAh battery and, if you can live with the "hump", you can go up to 2400mAh. Nothing larger than the standard 1150mAh is available for the Centro without making it considerably thicker, in which case you might want to just get another device.

3. Keyboard size/comfort. I wouldn't use the Centro for typing anything more than very short memos/e-mails/SMS. I absolutely detest the Centro keyboard
    I've also found its keyboard backlighting to be quite dim and difficult to read under dim (not dark) conditions.

4. Stylus size/comfort. The Centro has the worst stylus I've ever used on a Palm OS device, bar none.

5. Memory card accessibility & format. You can use fullsize SDHC (4gb officially & 8/16gb unofficially) on the 680, which can come in very handy if you want to swap cards between your Treo, PC & digital camera. The Centro also requires a lot more fiddling to change memory cards.

6. Available accessories. Aside from batteries, there are a lot more accessories available for the older 680/750 formfactor than for the Centro and they are usually available a bit cheaper.
    Very helpful, thank you...battery life not issue with me, and probably will get used to the keyboard. But I've definitely taken your other points (1 & 5 especially) into consideration for decision between Centro and 680.
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    After about five weeks I'm happy with everything but the color - Verizon blue. I would rather have had any other color but pink. The electric blue would have been cool. Can't believe the Vzw blue came out so well on the recent survey, it's real drab and washed out...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12