1.    #1  
    I accidentally washed my Tungsten T3 a couple of months ago, so I finally decided to step up to a smartphone. I got a Treo 650 because 1) I'm accustomed to Palm OS and 2) I read that a lot of folks were dissatisfied with newer models and went back to or missed their old reliable 650. I bought a new unlocked Cingular branded Treo 650 off ebay.

I've spent alot of time reading about custom ROMs here.
    Custom Rom - The Easy Way! by berdinkerdickle
    ROM update tool - Open Beta for all! by mmastrac
    Custom ROM Tips and Tricks by jamesgangut
    I've read at least the first several pages of these plus skimming the rest plus the referred links. Thanks to all who made these such informative threads. I downloaded and installed ROM Tool. I even printed out james' 10pg Rom Tool Step by Step, also berd's & bgh's Simple Step-by-Step for hardcopy reference.
    Today I finally took the time to try the first step that berd suggested: switch FATFS out for FAT32. I figured I'd try that first and then follow that success up with a Custom ROM that is known to be reliable. I followed bgh's step-by-step. Every thing seemed to go OK until I closed ROM Tool and pressed Reset. Now my 650 is stuck in a reset loop. I searched and found this recommendation for this issue in berd's 1.20 ENA Troubleshooter post:

Issue:
    Stuck in a Reset Loop
    Possible Solution:
    Tech Support Recommends 2 different ways to reset. Hold the power button (red phone) and put it in the battery, when you get to the second logo screen let go. If that one did't work?
    Hold the up arrow on the 5 way, put in the battery, release at second logo screen, This should get you to the phone screen.

I tried both and I'm still in the reset loop.
    So I put it back in bootloader mode and fired up ROM Tool again. I attempted to reload the original ROM back into my 650. But, after clicking the ROM Directory radio button and browsing to "ROM Backup Original"(that's the folder name I gave my downloaded original ROM) and clicking Select, I got a "No boot.conf in directory" note next to the Upload button. I opened that file and I can see that boot.conf is right there in the list.

I just don't understand. I thought I was pretty thorough in researching and executing according to specific instructions. I don't know what I did wrong?!?

My wife caught me in here cursing my 650, and asked what's wrong. I explained and she said, "What about that other rom-thing you were looking for earlier, will that fix it?" I then calmed down and responded, "Well, maybe if I can download a known good ROM."

So I tried to move on to james' Custom ROM that berd recommends in Custom Rom - The Easy Way!...
    ....but, It's gone. I found a thread somewhere, where james explains that Rapidshare filled up and the file was deleted and his computer crashed or something like that.

So I'm hoping that I can get some help here.
    Is that Custom ROM of james'still available, or is there an even better, updated, and/or more reliable one available.
    Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

PS: Here's the original phone info before I started messing with it:
    Firmware: 01.51
    Software: Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Hardware: A
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Well I don't have the custom ROM that you mentioned, but I have uploaded the ROM that I am using in my Cingular branded unlocked Treo 650. Maybe that will be of help.

The changes are:

* Removed Real Player.
    * Removed Versamail.
    * Removed all languages except English.
    * Removed Tips.
    * Removed WorldClock.
    * Added Filez. (A free files management program)
    * Added FAT32 and SDHC driver.

Treo 650 custom ROM (d0m0).zip
    - Files size: 6282 KB
  3.    #3  
    Thanks d0m0,

I'll give it a try.
    At this point, anythig is better than a reset loop. If your ROM works for my phone, then at least I have a functioning base to work from. And I'll know that I may have somehow corrupted my ROM in the exchage process.

Going this long without a working PDA is driving me nuts. How did our parents ever get by?
  4.    #4  
    d0m0,

THANK YOU! IT WORKED!

I know it's ridiculously late emplementing this, but I've been very busy. Frankly I was procratinating some. My confidence in doing this was crushed after all the reading I did to prepare and then got stuck in a reset loop. I'm at home on a rainy day and thought I'd take another stab at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by d0m0 View Post
    but I have uploaded the ROM that I am using
    Thanks d0m0 for uploading this ROM - it looks the ticket for my two Treo 650s I recently built up from parts!

I've downloaded your ROM but the n00b in me doesn't know how to install this to my Palm, as the contents of the unzipped folder look foreign to me (the others I've tried from Palm are all in the same PALM folder which I have copied to an SD card. Can you please tell me how to install your custom ROM?

Thank you

JB
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    jsbrain i'm glad that the ROM worked for you. I cannot survive a day without my treo, i'm surprised how you survived that long... LOL

Byrd27, all you have to do is copy these contents into your Treo via the bootloader and the ROMTool
    Quote Originally Posted by d0m0 View Post
    Well I don't have the custom ROM that you mentioned, but I have uploaded the ROM that I am using in my Cingular branded unlocked Treo 650. Maybe that will be of help.

The changes are:

* Removed Real Player.
    * Removed Versamail.
    * Removed all languages except English.
    * Removed Tips.
    * Removed WorldClock.
    * Added Filez. (A free files management program)
    * Added FAT32 and SDHC driver.

Treo 650 custom ROM (d0m0).zip
    - Files size: 6282 KB
    PM Sent