1.    #1  
    Ok Im wondering if there is or maybe will be a way to just play wmv files on my PALM device?

TCPMP Plays old wmv files but nothinig thats used currently
    CorePlayer has no wmv support as of yet.
    Kinoma(while I use) fails miserably when trying to play even overclocked to 585mhz. That or just gives an unsupported format blah blah blah.

Anyone have other options?
  2. UserOne
    I've played wmv's on Kinoma 4 EX (full version) in the past with no issues... is about the only thing I have found that has done so actually. And, I've never messed with the OC'ing my little treo hehe.

I'd love to be of more help here, but not sure of any options that work outside of Kinoma .

L8R
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Kinoma(while I use) fails miserably when trying to play even overclocked to 585mhz. That or just gives an unsupported format blah blah blah.
    Kinoma Player plays WMV files great. They need to use WMV9 (introduced in 2001, I think?) and WMA (not WMA Voice), and need to be encoded at a size/bitrate appropriate for a mobile device with no video acceleration. Guidelines are in the manual.

Can you post a link to the file?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    >> Kinoma Player plays WMV files great

Boy, do I hate it when people whine on the net - but let's get real.

Kinoma, while great software, does NOT 'plays WMV files great". Sorry not true. People want to download a file from the net, and play it on their Palm. No conversion, no recoding, no specific years old format - they just want to PLAY it.

Now, this probably is *NOT* possible, and perhaps it will never be, but let's not sell a solution where none exists.

Larry

(Wow!! On the net since day one, and my first Flame! Cool!!)

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    , and need to be encoded at a size/bitrate appropriate for a mobile device with no video acceleration. Guidelines are in the manual.

Can you post a link to the file?

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Well thats the problem. When someone emails me a video they dont think to themselves......."Hey I need to encode this in a way that a mobile device can handle."

I get emails with wmv files anything from one of my relatives kids to emails from friends with people getting kicked in the nuts.

Thats where the issues come in. I think just like the previos poster mentioned when we receive or want to click on a wmv file online we just want to view it! Not convert the file to be able to view it. I mean if I have the file and need a full computer to convert it why bother. Ill just view it on my pc.

Personally I would like to see Kinoma handle this on its own. I dont know maybe add options to skip frames or not handle the sound etc in order to be able to view the non converted wmv file. we

I thought there were some improvements coming to Kinoma from your websites changes coming message and I was hoping wmv without conversion was one of the things that were coming/changing soon.
    Last edited by OLD_HATCH; 08/23/2008 at 05:40 PM.
    Larry,

Quote Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
    Kinoma, while great software, does NOT 'plays WMV files great".
    It does as long as you understand that your Treo/Centro is not a PC.

If your hope is that your Palm device is going to play any Windows Media file that can be played by a 2 GHz PC with accelerated video, then you're going to be disappointed.

People want to download a file from the net, and play it on their Palm. No conversion, no recoding, no specific years old format - they just want to PLAY it.
    You can do exactly that for lots of files (any YouTube video, for example).

For others, you can either (1) create optimized files in a few minutes with Kinoma Producer, or (2) use an on-the-fly solution like Orb (free). I'm sure folks on the list doing this will tell you that it's pretty easy.

We make Palm OS do some really cool things, but it's still important to remember that your device is the computing equivalent of a bicycle, not a muscle car.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Last edited by Charles@Kinoma; 08/24/2008 at 01:12 PM.
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Larry,

It does as long as you understand that your Treo/Centro is not a PC.

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Charles,

I agree with you 100 %. Hey - I use Kinoma Producer to convert files, and I don't think I've found anything it would not handle - and handle WELL My objection is to the 'Kinoma plays wma well' statement. Too many people DO think a Treo is a high speed unit. The 'plays well' statement just assumes to much knowledge from the end user.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry,

The 'plays well' statement just assumes to much knowledge from the end user.
    I appreciate the thoughts! I always try to keep in mind that some people might see "plays WMV" and think "plays any WMV", and we try to be really careful to set expectations correctly.

With all the knowledgeable enthusiasts around, sometimes it's easy to forget that mobile video and audio is still unexplored territory for most hobbyists and professional content providers. That's all going to change radically over the next two years of course, and we hope to be a bigger and bigger part of that.

The good news is that Palm OS devices and Windows Mobile devices have similar video and audio processing power. So as content creators encode Windows Media with Windows Mobile phones in mind, that same content will typically also work great with Kinoma Player 4 EX.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  9.    #9  
    Well Thank you for your responses Charles.

Is Kinoma for Palm still being developed or has it reached the peak as far as performance features etc? (v4.4.1) I would personally like to see a preview of videos (single picture/frame) in addition to the info to help when searching videos on google/youtube.

Would options like not processing sound or frameskipping make any difference when viewing wmv files that arent compressed for mobile devices on Palm oS Kinoma?
    Is Kinoma for Palm still being developed or has it reached the peak as far as performance features etc?
    Kinoma Player 4 EX is in the prime of its life, but it's also taking advantage of about as much of the current-gen Palm OS hardware and OS that it can.

I would personally like to see a preview of videos (single picture/frame) in addition to the info to help when searching videos on google/youtube.
    Thanks for the feature request!

Would options like not processing sound or frameskipping make any difference when viewing wmv files...
    Absolutely...not decompressing audio and/or decompressing fewer frames of video can save lots of CPU cycles. In fact, on really intense files Kinoma Player 4 EX may only decode key frames. Generally, audio is given priority when possible because audio breaks are considered more annoying than skipped video frames.

FWIW, I'm always happy to help diagnose playback issues and share encoding advice.

-- Charles Wiltgen
  11.    #11  
    Thank you for your very well thought out response.

I just got an email today about Kinoma Play for Windows mobile. I must say the addition of color icons and slight ui differences from kinoma for Palm looks really nice.

Can we expect a similar updated UI for Palm OS anytime soon?

Does the windows mobile counterpart perform better than the Palm version?

Thanks for listening about the feature request for added screenshot to youtube/google video searches. Alot of times the info provided from the search doesnt really tell what the videos are about so you wind up searching through lots more videos until you find the one you are looking for.