1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

I click on phone button. I click on my contacts list. I type in B-R-A, the first 2-3 letters of last name of guy I need to call, let's playfully call him Tom Brady. I see a couple of listed phone numbers for Mr. Brady already. Looks like this.

Tom Brady
    555-1234 W
    555-5678 M

But I remember that the work line has a work extension number. I need to know the extension number when I dial the work main phone number. So I click on Tom Brady's name to go deeper into what I've saved in his contact info. Shows me info I have recorded on Mr. Brady, such as company, title, and the same phone numbers as above again, but still no work extension. Looks like this.

Tom Brady
    New England Patriots Football Team
    Quarterback
    --------------
    Work: 555-1234
    Mobile: 555-5678

I still know I typed in his extension at work. So I have to click on the Edit button at the bottom of the screen so that I can finally see what I've written down about him. Looks like this.

Last name: Brady
    First name: Tom
    [silly optional picture]
    Ringtone: default
    Company: New Engl...
    Title: Quarterback
    Work: 555-1234 x1349
    Mobile: 555-5678

Is there a way I can record the extension number for those who have them in a way that I can see fairly immediately in my Contacts, avoiding having to dig way into the individual Contacts entry (to the Edit screen) just to find that I wrote a little "x1349" after the work number?

This comes up for me all the time as I try to reach people in hospitals and other large health care organizations who do not have direct numbers but instead have main numbers with extensions.

-- Josh
    After experimenting a bit, the only way I found is to append the First or Last name with: x### (the extension) or just the number without the x

Not the best, but does work.
    RJuhl
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    You can append the extension at the end of the # (with area code), i.e. 123-555-1234-5678. The extension shows up when you view and dial (although the dashes don't display), but it doesn't seem to actually dial the extra numbers (or if it does they gets "lost" in the connection). This is the work-around I use, but maybe there's a better one...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougM38 View Post
    You can append the extension at the end of the # (with area code), i.e. 123-555-1234-5678. The extension shows up when you view and dial (although the dashes don't display), but it doesn't seem to actually dial the extra numbers (or if it does they gets "lost" in the connection). This is the work-around I use, but maybe there's a better one...

Interesting. So you're saying that if I enter a number as

607-555-1234-5678

the Treo will dial it interpreting those numbers as area code 607, number 555-1234, and extraneous digits 5678 which don't interfere with the call. I can then type in the extension 5678 when prompted.

Now, what happens with the following

Local number with extension listed with dash
    555-1234-567 (same as 555-1234 x567)

versus

Long distance number with no extension listed as
    555-123-4567 (same as (555) 123-4567)

If the dashes don't actually count, then it's the same number, but must be handled quite differently. Can the Treo (or the phone network) figure it out?

-- Josh
    Silly question: why do you only have 7 digit numbers in your phone? Or hasn't NY changed to requiring 10 digits to be dialed?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Silly question: why do you only have 7 digit numbers in your phone? Or hasn't NY changed to requiring 10 digits to be dialed?
    Maybe I'm missing something, but all local numbers are just 7 digits. 10 digits is only for long distance, and in fact, it's supposed to be 11 digits with the 1-[3 digit areacode]-[7 digit number] format.
    -- Josh
    It gets kicked out here in Paradise.
    Some places have required area code to be dialed for all calls. I thought NY required that when I spent the summer there two years ago.
    Yeah, this is a definite limitation of Palm's great Contacts app. Extensions need some sort of easy viewing and even auto entry. Now, I just use the x1234 after the #, but that of course requires looking into the "edit" area for the info.

Another issue that needs to be addressed here is the "type" of number field. The app limits to about 5-6 choices, but this needs those and more. By more it also needs editable entrys that would allow you to view and choose "John's Mobile" or "Jerry's e-mail" or a host of others.

Just my $.02
    Patrick Horne
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cavingjan View Post
    Some places have required area code to be dialed for all calls. I thought NY required that when I spent the summer there two years ago.

Never even heard of such a thing. All of NY State has dialing of just 7 digits for all local calls. All long distance is 1-areacode-local#.
    -- Josh
    Huh? ALL NYC phone numbers are 10 digits, plus the 1! Even if you are in the same area code, you must dial the 1-area code-& number! Last time I checked, NYC was in NY State!
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    You are correct--if you don't include the area code with your Contact number, then the phone will interpret a number such as 555-1234-567 as area code 555 and number 123-4567. It actually displays it (when not editing) as 555-123-4567.

I have the area code with every number in my Contacts. Within the Bay Area, CA, if you are dialing within the local area code it doesn't matter whether you actually dial the area code or not--i.e. I'm in area code 510, and if I dial 555-1234 or 1-510-555-1234 it makes no difference (I don't know if the area code number is billed at a higher/long distance rate, since I have an AT&T nationwide plan, but I wouldn't think so...). I assume this is the same across the US, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, since it works for me then my method of appending the extension (i.e. 510-555-1234-5678) also works for me, as I always use an area code. YMMV.
    Last edited by DougM38; 08/25/2008 at 02:09 PM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    Huh? ALL NYC phone numbers are 10 digits, plus the 1! Even if you are in the same area code, you must dial the 1-area code-& number! Last time I checked, NYC was in NY State!

Yes on both counts. I did confirm that all NYC phone service requires dialing a full 11 numbers for all calls, even to your local pizza shop across the street (because the area codes are no longer geographic). And, yes, NYC is in NY State, although sometimes I gotta wonder. The world of NYC is lightyears away (not necessarily ahead or behind, just amazingly different) from the world of the vast remainder of the state.

-- Josh
    Have you tried TREOSTAR? Although it doesn't show in contacts neither, it helps when you make the call. Definitely better than append 'ext 1349' to the numbers anyways.
    This is how it works: In Tom Brady's contact page, you store 'Extension 1349' as an attached note, then when you dial 555-1234, the attached note will override the screen reminds you to dial 'Extension 1349'. So just switch to dialpad and dial 1349.
    This tiny freeware serves as a reminder, so it'll override the screen on whatever numbers you dial within this contact. I know it's not much, and it doesn't actually answer your purpose, but there is no better way.
    Do you guys really need to have the 1- in front of the number? With my 700P on Sprint, I don't dial the 1 for ANY calls, local or long distance. I do dial the area code with all numbers, however.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.