View Poll Results: Would you pay $$ to use AvantGo as you do now for free?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will only use AvantGo if it's free, as it is now

79 71.17%
  • Would pay for it if it was less than $2 a month

15 13.51%
  • Would pay for it if it was less than $5 a month

8 7.21%
  • Would pay for it if it was less than or equal to $10 a month

1 0.90%
  • Would pay for it if it was more than $10 a month

0 0%
  • Would prefer a lifetime (one-time) fee for usage

6 5.41%
  • Don't use AvantGo, and don't plan to

2 1.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got a survey in e-mail yesterday from AvantGo; basically, "How much would you pay for AvantGo services?" (i.e., what I'm getting for free now.)

I'm assuming they're serious -- our company uses these sort of surveys for figuring price point/ranges for our products, and this looks like a similar deal. Asking how much a month is expensive, too much, etc.; and would you be interested in a lifetime subscription at $X? In other words, SOP for strategic marketing.

My own opinion was, I'd prefer it free, but would be willing to pay a small amount for it. I have a 1/2 hour vanpool ride to work in the morning and the afternoon, and I like reading various newspapers (and VisorCentral) on the way into work. Hey ma! No newsprint on my hands!

Thought I'd throw in my own poll regarding this, let VC readers who didn't get the poll from AvantGo voice their opinions.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    I think I have filled out this Avantgo Survey a couple of times in the past 3 months or so. I think that it is something that Avantgo must be doing on a regular basis, but maybe more agressively considering the current stock performance.
    I would be willing to pay 5 dollars for it. Beyond that and I think that it would be a bit too much. It is a great service but think that it does have its limitations. When its free, I can look beyond them.
    I was thinking about saying a one time fee, but then again the start-up page is littered with ADs. Maybe if they got rid of them I would, but if they keep them that's profit enough for them.
    I too got the survey. I'd be willing to pay $20 a year. For others they could have like a $3 a month or a $6 quarterly.

Then again, what does AvantGo really do? They don't provide the content, only a tool to gather it. Plucker is free and does a similar job, and I believe there are other competitors such as Browse-It, iSilo, and Pendragon.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by Matthew Nichols
    Then again, what does AvantGo really do? They don't provide the content, only a tool to gather it. Plucker is free and does a similar job, and I believe there are other competitors such as Browse-It, iSilo, and Pendragon.
    Doesn't AvantGo arrange/sponser PDA-formatted articles from various newspapers and magazines? I.e., don't they approach, say, the New York Times, and work with them to produce a PDA-based electronic form of their newspaper (as opposed to their normal Web-based one)?
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    It's a nifty service, not reliable enough to pay for though IMHO.
    <div align="left"><font size="+2" color="#FF8000">Mike</font>
    <hr width="200">
    <font color="Red"><i>Programming is the struggle between programmers<br> building bigger and better ***** proof systems<br> and the universe building bigger and better idiots</i></font>
    <hr width="200">
    <b><a href="http://enhanceyourlife.com">http://enhanceyourlife.com</a><br>
    <a href="http://www.furrbrain.com">http://www.furrbrain.com</a></b></div>
    WE DON'T NEEDA NOTHER MONTHLY BILL!!! OMG

We NEED micropayments - quick easy painless, micropayments. PLEASE!

I would pay a $10 yearly fee. no more.

Everything needs money to run, and soon eveyrthing is goign to have subscriptions, but soon, how many monthly payments will people be making!??!
    Last edited by miradu; 07/18/2001 at 10:09 PM.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Originally posted by miradu2000

Everything needs money to run, and soon eveyrhting is goign to ahve subscriptions, but soon, how many moonthly payments will I be making!??!
    Just curious, what other monthly payments do you make?
    right now nothing

If I had the cash I would be having my cell phone, my pager, my wireless net my normal ISP etc..etc.. PLUS content from sites that are starting to charge.. see where I'm going?
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    If they are going to charge money, I don't know why they just don't charge like $20 for the program and then leave the service free (it's not like they provide the content).
    Originally posted by quasihuman
    If they are going to charge money, I don't know why they just don't charge like $20 for the program and then leave the service free (it's not like they provide the content).
    that's the best idea so far except $20 is a bit high for a palm app. If they charge me $20 I don;t want to see the advertisements in the porgram anymore.
    that's the best idea so far except $20 is a bit high for a palm app. If they charge me $20 I don't want to see the advertisements in the porgram anymore.
    But they do provide a server farm that goes out on the net, to they page you request, and reformats it for your PDA. It does take money to do this.

If they charge for the program and provide the service for free, eventually, most users will use more server time than what Avantgo makes off of the software sale.

If you pay for the service on an ongoing basis, it covers this cost.

The other alternative would be to charge for the software, offer the service for free, and then charge for any software upgrades. This is very simular to the sales model that the antivirus software business uses.
    Just curious, what other monthly payments do you make?
    2 cars, house, insurance, utilites, rv, cable modem, wireless modem
    (Minstrel S via YadaYada), food, savings, software budget, gadget
    budget... it adds up FAST.
    Originally posted by smittyofdhs
    that's the best idea so far except $20 is a bit high for a palm app. If they charge me $20 I don't want to see the advertisements in the porgram anymore.
    That would be tough. From my AvantGo usage, I only notice two ads from AvantGo itself; both of which are on your AvantGo homepage. Most of the ads are in the content itself, which AvantGo has no realy control over.
    So the general opinon is that AvantGo should only charge if the service is made better in some way? Even then, they should only charge around $5-20 for the software?

When Handspring started charging for Blazer (around $20) all you got was a browser - a good, fast browser with WAP, but just a browser. With AvantGo you get an on and offline browser that renders pages (with images) at about the same speed as Blazer wirelessly, the largest selection of handheld friendly content that you can sync, and the same library of content wirelessly.

I am an opponent of WAP, so if you put the two products side by side, AvantGo wins IMHO. I know AvantGo has poor bookmarking technology, but beyond that, I can't really see where Blazer wins. AvantGo faces the same costs (if not more) than Handspring in regards to the proxy server technology but offers that much more in features.

I cannot see AvantGo completely ditching thier free product - that is how they get users. But I can see them charging for a high-end version. Then again, until they make an announcement, this is all speculation anyway so why don't we all sit down, take a deep breath and see what happens?
    Originally posted by WM5051
    ...When Handspring started charging for Blazer (around $20) all you got was a browser - a good, fast browser with WAP, but just a browser. With AvantGo you get an on and offline browser that renders pages (with images) at about the same speed as Blazer wirelessly...

Are you saying that Blazer only displays WAP? You make reference to that in this paragraph, or am I reading it wrong?

Blazer displays full HTML as well as WAP pages.
    I said a good browser 'with WAP' meaning Blazer supports WAP protocal and AvantGo does not. If you discount that feature (which I do just becuase I do nto think WAP will be a long term consumer solution) you have two HTML browsers and IMHO AvantGo is better. Sorry I was unclear.

Having sync and wireless is far superior to me than just wireless. Just think of how many times you lose your cell signal (tunnels, garages, elevators, or low signal areas) or you are not allowed to use a signal (hospitals, airplanes). Having information you want already synced on the device makes much more sense than trying to obtain it wirelessly. Also, sync is 'free' for me in that it piggybacks on my Internet connection which I already use for my PC.

Now, I fully believe there is a need for true wireless data, but I hold that people need to think critically about it rather than just adopt as technology becomes available (I am guilty of this as well - that is how I got mys first PDA). I get the CBS Marketwatch channel on my PDA. For general news, and an update on the stocks I track, AvantGo does a great job. I sync the data for free (I would pay a small sum to have this service if AvantGo decides to charge). So where does wireless come into play? Well, if I want an update on a stock, then it makes perfect sense. I dial in to my wirless provider and get that PARTICULAR update - nothing more. I am charged for two to three data minutes and that is it. Ideally, I would be able to set alerts for this info to be sent to me, but the Palm OS is not there yet (RIM is incredible in this area).

This is why I do not use omnisky, yada yada or any of the other all-you-can-eat packages. All I want are small wireless updates. When I took my wireless usage (PDA and phone connected by a cable) and figured it out, the 30-45 wireless data minutes I was using each month, only accounted for a small portion of my cell phone bill. Getting a dedicated solution, like the companies mentioned above, would have cost me a lot more each month than I needed to spend (even when the hardware was free). Now I am sure there are people out there who use thier wireless services to the max and for them, that is probably the best solution. For me, sync and surf works great.

And again, this is all my own opinion.
    good opinion WM5051.....

I don't use Blazer or Browser-it enough to be a firm supporter of their technology or the wireless movement as a whole. I do enjoy their products as it allows me to find stuff on the web without having to fire up the laptop or desktop every time I want stock update or a small tidbit of info. I image if wireless services were cheaper I might jump on the bandwagon too. I could see myself using wireless on a daily basis but as I said, it doesn't offer me enough for the price that is required at this time. At this point in time, Avantgo is used more on my Edge then Blazer or Browse-it for simple reason that the info is update-to-date and readily available without having to connect.

BTW... I agree with you about WAP. It seems to be a disposable protocol that was a band-aid fix to a consumer demand. Obviously if full services like Avantgo and browser apps like Blazer could be ported to a cell phone then WAP is yesterday's news. Likewise, if "smartphones" like the Kyocera 6035 become mainstay then the WAP idea again is dead since smartphones allow for full browsers and data collecting services to reside right on the phone/palm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast