View Poll Results: Would you pay $$ to use AvantGo as you do now for free?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Will only use AvantGo if it's free, as it is now

79 71.17%
  • Would pay for it if it was less than $2 a month

15 13.51%
  • Would pay for it if it was less than $5 a month

8 7.21%
  • Would pay for it if it was less than or equal to $10 a month

1 0.90%
  • Would pay for it if it was more than $10 a month

0 0%
  • Would prefer a lifetime (one-time) fee for usage

6 5.41%
  • Don't use AvantGo, and don't plan to

2 1.80%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by WM5051
    So the general opinon is that AvantGo should only charge if the service is made better in some way? Even then, they should only charge around $5-20 for the software?
    I agree that making users pay for AvantGo should mean that the service would be made better, but I don't feel that it is the software that should be paid for (unless there was a "Pro" version of the software with enhanced features like bookmarking, ability to save/archive pages, etc.).

If AvantGo were to adapt a payment strategy, it should still include a free level of service; this is the only way to attract new customers in letting them demo the service, and keep those around who use it sparingly (but do use it) in hopes that they will eventually use it more and upgrade to a pay service plan. In my opinion, something like this would be reasonable:

• 1 to 4 channels for free aimed at new/minimal users
    • 5 to 10/15 channels for $2 per month for normal users
    • Unlimited number of channels for like $5 a month for power users
    • Discounts for pre-payment of 6 or 12 months of service
    • Special pricing for customized enterprise editions

I'm not against pay services as the general collapse of many dot-coms and the "advertiser-supported" business model means pay services are the only way some companies are going to be able to survive, but they must make the cost reasonable in respect to the service.
    Last edited by everything's a blur; 07/20/2001 at 01:34 PM.
    Originally posted by everything's a blur
    If AvantGo were to adapt a payment strategy, it should still include a free level of service; this is the only way to attract new customers in letting them demo the service, and keep those around who use it sparingly (but do use it) in hopes that they will eventually use it more and upgrade to a pay service plan. In my opinion, something like this would be reasonable:

• 1 to 4 channels for free aimed at new/minimal users
    • 5 to 10/15 channels for $2 per month for normal users
    • Unlimited number of channels for like $5 a month for power users
    • Discounts for pre-payment of 6 or 12 months of service
    • Special pricing for customized enterprise editions
    I really like that. There should always be a free level, even if it means reduced service.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Originally posted by smittyofdhs

that's the best idea so far except $20 is a bit high for a palm app. If they charge me $20 I don't want to see the advertisements in the porgram anymore.
    I actually find Vindago more useful...
    Absolutely. I LOVE Avantgo, warts and all. My biggest complaint is the limit on the number of channels. Because of Avantgo I save money on: buying a daily newspaper (that would simply stack up in my recycle bin anyway), buying computing magazines, buying entertainment industry mags. I save time looking up movie schedules, checking my friends web sites, etc. And I generally keep informed.

Avantgo is one of the best tools out there. And, while I appreciate the free web as much as the next guy, if it is a choice between Avantgo discontinueing service to consumers or paying a reasonable fee, I'll pay the reasonable fee.

I'm afraid the days of a free internet are coming to an end. So, the question one must ask is WHAT is something worth to me. It's the shareware question: if I use it regularly, I should pay for it. If I don't, then I should delete it.

I donate to NPR (which I listen to in the car every day), so why not Avantgo.
  5.    #25  
    Originally posted by dsaroff
    I donate to NPR (which I listen to in the car every day), so why not Avantgo.
    That's a great analogy, at least for me. I also contribute to NPR, and listen to NPR while reading AvantGo in the vanpool to and from work. Yup, I'll spend a few (a *few* -- NPR's doing a lot more than AvantGo, and requires more funding) $$ for it.
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
    Originally posted by Shel
    I actually find Vindigo more useful...
    Vindigo may be more useful to you ... but Vindigo and AvantGo are two very different applications. Vindigo pretty much just gives you info (restaurants, movies, nightlife, shopping, etc.) on the cities (only big ones too) of your choice. AvantGo can give you news, clips of web sites, movie listings on even the dinky towns, weather, and a lot more. While Vindigo can be very useful, it's not really for everyday use like AvantGo is.

yeah, i wrote that ...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12