1.    #1  
    A longtime Treo 650 user, I recently started using the Treo 680. From time to time the phone turns bluetooth off by itself, and when I try to turn bluetooth on, the phone resets. The next day bluetooth works, then a couple of days later, the bluetooth turns itself off, and the phone again resets when I manually try to turn bluetooth on. Palm said a hard reset might help, but I don't know why it would fix a sporadic problem.

Does anybody have any ideas?
    Palm suggested the hard reset because it will dump the RAM and eliminate the sporadic problem most likely caused by an application.

I would also suggest a hard reset and use the phone with no 3rd party software installed for a few days. If the problem disappears, it is sure sign that the issue is caused by an application that was installed.

I would also look at any profile apps you may have installed.

Did you install a 650 backup into your 680?

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Palm suggested the hard reset because it will dump the RAM and eliminate the sporadic problem most likely caused by an application.

I would also suggest a hard reset and use the phone with no 3rd party software installed for a few days. If the problem disappears, it is sure sign that the issue is caused by an application that was installed.

I would also look at any profile apps you may have installed.

Did you install a 650 backup into your 680?

Thanks - how do I know if I installed a 650 backup (I have filez, didn't know what I was looking for, and backup man, certainly have its backups)?
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC VZ guy View Post
    Thanks - how do I know if I installed a 650 backup (I have filez, didn't know what I was looking for, and backup man, certainly have its backups)?
    When you went from the 650 to using the 680, (upgraded) did you install everything from the 650 RAM to the 680 RAM via a backup from the 650?

Or did you hotsync your PIM data only and do a fresh install of your 3rd party apps into the 680?

By profile apps, I mean PowerHero, PhoneTechnician, Profiles, etc. that could be used to regulate BlueTooth on/off....

5.    #5  
    When you went from the 650 to using the 680, (upgraded) did you install everything from the 650 RAM to the 680 RAM via a backup from the 650?

Or did you hotsync your PIM data only and do a fresh install of your 3rd party apps into the 680?

By profile apps, I mean PowerHero, PhoneTechnician, Profiles, etc. that could be used to regulate BlueTooth on/off....

I may have installed one from the backupman's backup, most fresh - I guess after I hard reset I should reinstall as fresh install....
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC VZ guy View Post
    I may have installed one from the backupman's backup, most fresh - I guess after I hard reset I should reinstall as fresh install....
    Yes, Hard reset the 680. Then hotsync your PIM data (Calendar, Contacts, Memos and Tasks) only.

Use the 680 for a couple of days to make sure your issue is gone. Then do fresh install of your 3rd party apps one at a time using updated versions.

This is going to be time consuming, but you and your Treo will be happier.

You should never install a backup from a different device (650 to 680 for example) because some default data base files won't work properly and the device key press codes are different. Also some old apps that worked on the 650 won't work properly on the 680, 700p, 755 and Centro without an update from the developers. Any old apps that have been abandoned by the developers won't be updated.

Replace those apps with apps that work.

7.    #7  
    Yes, Hard reset the 680. Then hotsync your PIM data (Calendar, Contacts, Memos and Tasks) only.

Use the 680 for a couple of days to make sure your issue is gone. Then do fresh install of your 3rd party apps one at a time using updated versions.

This is going to be time consuming, but you and your Treo will be happier.

You should never install a backup from a different device (650 to 680 for example) because some default data base files won't work properly and the device key press codes are different. Also some old apps that worked on the 650 won't work properly on the 680, 700p, 755 and Centro without an update from the developers. Any old apps that have been abandoned by the developers won't be updated.

Replace those apps with apps that work.

thanks! I'm on it - and as much work as it will be, I'm sold. Thanks again.
    what bt headset are you using? I had some trouble with the Palm Treo BT headset on my 680 (it worked fine on my 650). I switched to a (very cheap) Mr Handsfree and have had no problems since then.