1.    #1  
    I keep going back and forth and believe it or not its not a Palm OS vs Windows thing. I've given in to the fact that, although I used Palm for years, sooner or later I'll have to go to W so I'm fine with doing it now.

I played with both at the store and am still undecided.

So I wanted to ask users if they thought, given no issues with price and the W vs Palm debate, would you go with an 800w (or do you wish you had)?

The Centro is very cool, so is the 800w, but I don't understand who their targeting for each of the two phones and what the benefits of one over the other?

Is the Centro a cheaper, smaller alternative, but functionally equal to the 800w or is the 800w the cadillac of the line?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zepdude View Post
    I keep going back and forth and believe it or not its not a Palm OS vs Windows thing. I've given in to the fact that, although I used Palm for years, sooner or later I'll have to go to W so I'm fine with doing it now.

I played with both at the store and am still undecided.

So I wanted to ask users if they thought, given no issues with price and the W vs Palm debate, would you go with an 800w (or do you wish you had)?

The Centro is very cool, so is the 800w, but I don't understand who their targeting for each of the two phones and what the benefits of one over the other?

Is the Centro a cheaper, smaller alternative, but functionally equal to the 800w or is the 800w the cadillac of the line?

Thanks
    Palm has stated that they are working towards a strategy where the POS Centro will be their consumer phone, the windows phones such as the 800W will be their business/enterprise phone and the POS2 Linuxphone will be their techy prosumer line. Ignore all that marketing crap and buy the features you want. The 800W seems the better phone. If you can live with Windows and the larger size, go for it.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zepdude View Post
    As you know, the 800w boasts wireless and GPS. At the cost of battery if you intend to use them. Probably also easier keyboarding (didn't try it myself). At the cost of a little more of the "slab on the face" feeling, if that bothers you.

I had a similar view about the OS, but put off the "Windows sooner or later" rationale when I heard that the Windows Mobile 8.0 OS would be a redo, with more direct, Palm-like, access to functions (less of a desktop paradigm). However, I don't use data, and wouldn't know whether you might miss multi-tasking if you're a heavy data user.

One advantage I found to staying Palm was that my total expenditure in software was $10 for a SplashWallet upgrade, and that wasn't even required. Everything else I needed I already had, or was free or included on the Centro. Plus I did fresh installs of all the software on a new PC, so just beamed over most of my data (and one app).
  4.    #4  
    Thanks, I'm leaning towards the 800w now. The multitasking will be very helpful as I often go between multiple apps and always disliked that they would all close as I switched with Palm. Also, I'm so used to the 650 brick that the 800w will seem quite small in comparison. The Centro almost seems too small.

The keyboard is a tough call. I always wished the Treo's had more rubbery buttons, and they did that with the Centro, but when I tried it, I was making typos more often. Maybe I'm just used to the 650 physical layout.
    Last edited by zepdude; 08/16/2008 at 01:48 PM.
    Realistically, multi-tasking isn't the end all. I had my WinMo device (had a 6700 then 700wx) setup to always close the app on hitting x instead of switch as it ate up memory something fierce. Even with the better memory handling of the 700wx I still had to reboot every week or so.

Between the two, there is certainly more you can do with the WM6 machine. However, the centro has one big thing going for it - size/weight. There is no way around that. If you really are considering the WM then check out ppcgeeks.com for more info on that side. There is a lot you can do software wise and that's probably the best place for WM stuff.
    I've used both now, and trying to decide which is better is a really tough call. I still prefer the simplicity of use that the POS offers. WM requires far more steps to reach the same outcome. OTOH, the 800w has built in GPS and WiFi (although I may never use the WiFi). I started using Treos (POS) originally for the convergence factor and have been carrying a gps mouse, so converging again has been nice.

The size difference is barely noticable in your hand, and I find now that going back to the Centro, it almost seems flimsy in its weight.

Of course, there seem to be a lot of things you can do with WM that you can't with POS, like view hulu.com and use Skype.

Good luck in this decision - it isn't an easy one!
    The size difference is barely noticable in your hand, and I find now that going back to the Centro, it almost seems flimsy in its weight.
    Seriously? lol Maybe not in your hand, but in my pocket I always knew when my 700wx was there (and it's the same size, pretty much, as the 800w - just no antenna) and usually forget the centro is there...
    In your pocket it's the weight difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post

Of course, there seem to be a lot of things you can do with WM that you can't with POS, like view hulu.com and use Skype.

Good luck in this decision - it isn't an easy one!

I use Skype on my Centro regularly. Works just fine. Yes, Skype said they were releasing a Palm version and lied, but there is a neat little app called IM+ For Skype that does the job nicely. It supports both calls and chat.
    Or maybe the Treo Pro
    i too am having this dilemal. 800w definitely for me but cant decide for wife. hmmmm for sure.
    My wife and I have discussed it and she prefers the smaller size of the Centro.
    I personally prefer the simplicity and stability of the Palm OS, which I've loved ever since the IIIx. It's fast, it powerful and it does everything I need. I am so hoping the new Palm OS won't be a Win Mobile clone!
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    I use Skype on my Centro regularly. Works just fine. Yes, Skype said they were releasing a Palm version and lied, but there is a neat little app called IM+ For Skype that does the job nicely. It supports both calls and chat.

I use the 3rd-party iSkoot application on my Centro for Skype access. Works pretty well for me.
    I absolutely loved my Centro. I've had a 700p, 755p, and then a Centro and the Centro was by far the best of the three divices. Small and stable. Programs like Chatter email and Kinoma Player were staples for me. I was never satisifed however with the Blazer web browser and untimatelty, that is what convinced me to switch to the 800w.

I spend a lot of time reading the news while waiting for the bus, eating lunch, or during breaks at work. WM has some great choices for mobile web browsing. Opera Mobile and Skyfire are both nice browsers with more options coming in the future.

The Centro is a great phone that I gave to my mum. It is her first smartphone and she loves it. With the exception of a few neucinces that are being worked out with 3rd party applications, I'm now loving the 800w too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirk View Post
    Programs like Chatter email and Kinoma Player were staples for me. I was never satisifed however with the Blazer web browser and untimatelty, that is what convinced me to switch to the 800w.
    BTW, our Windows Mobile product is available now:

http://kinoma.com/play/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
    with the treo pro out know, I am feeling a bit more comfortable that Palm might actually get a new POS version out- perhaps next year.

I picked up a centro before the 800w came out- thought about it- but honestly, I have a win mobile phone from work (samsung blckjck) that sucks- not sure if its the hardware or the OS.
    It seems likely the 850 will be available on one of the carriers by next year. From what I'm reading here and elsewhere the 850 seems like too much of an advance (on 800 and previous Treos) to ignore it. Therefore I probably can survive a year or so with the Centro as a substitute till that comes.