Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. tsy
    My Centro has been pretty stable except for 1 very annoying problem. It keeps hanging for up to 60 seconds when answering calls.

I think it has something to do with the DB cache. I have installed Reset Doctor, Disabled Keyguard and yet I still get this problem. I have also tried Safe Guard which flags Ptunes and Zlauncher as potential problem apps.

Anyone with a similar problem? Can Z launcher be the cause?
    I run ZLauncher on 2 Centros, 1 700P and 1 650 - no problem there. Did this start before Safe Guard was installed? Also, do you have Reset Doctor set to clear the db cache?
  3. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I run ZLauncher on 2 Centros, 1 700P and 1 650 - no problem there. Did this start before Safe Guard was installed? Also, do you have Reset Doctor set to clear the db cache?
    Yes. It keeps happening thats why I installed safe guard. So looks like its not Z -launcher.

It feels like a DBcache thingy but I religously clear the cache a few times daily.....
    Are you using PowerHero and have it set to enable bluetooth on incoming calls?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I have PH installed on the 700P and both Centros - no delays. I would seriously look at letting Reset Doctor clear the DB cache at a specific level.
  6. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    I have PH installed on the 700P and both Centros - no delays. I would seriously look at letting Reset Doctor clear the DB cache at a specific level.
    That makes it worse. When a call comes in .. I think the cache is filled up and it tries to clear the cache and thus precipitating the delay....

No power hero installed

Damn.. delay happened twice again today
    Quote Originally Posted by tsy View Post
    That makes it worse. When a call comes in .. I think the cache is filled up and it tries to clear the cache and thus precipitating the delay....

No power hero installed

Damn.. delay happened twice again today
    How much available device memory do you have?

What is your available DBCache after a soft reset?

At what level do you have Reset Doctor set to flush the Cache?

Does the delay happen more with a particular app up on the screen?

Does the delay happen only with a BT headset and handsfree activated?

8. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    How much available device memory do you have?

What is your available DBCache after a soft reset?

At what level do you have Reset Doctor set to flush the Cache?

Does the delay happen more with a particular app up on the screen?

Does the delay happen only with a BT headset and handsfree activated?

Thanks for your help.

DBcache is at 14 MB after clearing. I had initially set the cache flush at 5mb .

Have since disaled it and do manual flushes 4-5 times daily. Each time on flushing DBcache is still a generous 9 MB...

Delay happens only on the phone app. The centro is usually running Z-launcher at this time... is this the culprit..?

BT is off all the time..

Just happened again. Missing a lot of calls recently and a few of them from my big boss as well... grrrr
    Quote Originally Posted by tsy View Post
    Thanks for your help.

DBcache is at 14 MB after clearing. I had initially set the cache flush at 5mb .

Have since disaled it and do manual flushes 4-5 times daily. Each time on flushing DBcache is still a generous 9 MB...

Delay happens only on the phone app. The centro is usually running Z-launcher at this time... is this the culprit..?

BT is off all the time..

Just happened again. Missing a lot of calls recently and a few of them from my big boss as well... grrrr
    14 megs of Cache after a soft reset is plenty. The phone searching for a signal, connecting to data throughout the day, some apps like launchers and something running in the background will suck up the DBCache. You could try setting RD to auto flush the Cache at 8 or 9 megs.

If the delay only happens on the default phone app, I doubt you could blame ZLauncher as the specific culprit. It's possible that you have a corrupt Contacts database file. I would suggest you use DBFixit to scan your database files to look for errors and spurious entries. I see your profile lists TMo as your carrier. I guess this is a GSM phone. You might look at a possible defective SIM card.

I have no personal experience with GSM phones. I have a CDMA Sprint Centro and I have no delay on incoming calls with TakePhone as my default call handler, Initiate launcher or any app on the screen.

Are you using any 3rd party ringtone managers, or any call blocking apps? These would be another possible source for trouble.

Diagnosing this delay can be a problem without doing a hard reset. Try a hard reset to dump the RAM and use the phone only with the default ROM apps on it for a couple of days.

If the delay is gone, then you have some add on software causing your problem. Then you should do a selective restore to find out what specific app is the possible source of your problem. If the delay is still there, then you have a faulty phone or SIM card.

I would suggest doing some detective work to eleminate any further fustration.

10. tsy
    14 megs of Cache after a soft reset is plenty. The phone searching for a signal, connecting to data throughout the day, some apps like launchers and something running in the background will suck up the DBCache. You could try setting RD to auto flush the Cache at 8 or 9 megs.

If the delay only happens on the default phone app, I doubt you could blame ZLauncher as the specific culprit. It's possible that you have a corrupt Contacts database file. I would suggest you use DBFixit to scan your database files to look for errors and spurious entries. I see your profile lists TMo as your carrier. I guess this is a GSM phone. You might look at a possible defective SIM card.

I have no personal experience with GSM phones. I have a CDMA Sprint Centro and I have no delay on incoming calls with TakePhone as my default call handler, Initiate launcher or any app on the screen.

Are you using any 3rd party ringtone managers, or any call blocking apps? These would be another possible source for trouble.

Diagnosing this delay can be a problem without doing a hard reset. Try a hard reset to dump the RAM and use the phone only with the default ROM apps on it for a couple of days.

If the delay is gone, then you have some add on software causing your problem. Then you should do a selective restore to find out what specific app is the possible source of your problem. If the delay is still there, then you have a faulty phone or SIM card.

I would suggest doing some detective work to eleminate any further fustration.

Hmm. a damaged contact database is distinct possibility. My contacts have largely been ported from one palm device after another since a Palm Pilot Pro-Clies ,Treos etc. Who knows what could have happened enroute.

No third party ringtone managers.

Have done a hard reset quite a few times actually and it recurs after a restore. Now during the restore I notice that there is some error with this strange file called pmtracedatabase. Is this a potential culprit?

My apps were transferred almost wholesale from a restore from my Treo 650 SD card. I guess the only way to find out if it is really software related is to do a painstaking reinstall of every single app. 10 years of apps is a lot...

If DBfixit does not do the trick, it seems I have a busy weekend ahead.

Thanks again for your suggestions
    There's your clue, the problem happens with a restore from a backup.

You are retoring diseased files, or old database files that won't work, back into your device. As a note, you should never install a backup image from a different device. The key press codes are different and some old apps won't work correctly on a newer device without being updated by the developers. Also, there will some default database files that will not work properly on a different device.

When you upgrade, the best course of action is hotsync your PIM data and do a fresh install of currently updated apps onto your new device, one at a time. You can however, use a backup image on a replacement device that is the same as the defective device that was replaced.

I would also recommend using a backup program on your device and do regular backups to your card if you are not doing so already. Hotsyncing does not backup files that are not defaulted to backup status. A backup program will backup everything in the RAM, whether or not the file is defaulted to backup status.

12. tsy
    There's your clue, the problem happens with a restore from a backup.

You are retoring diseased files, or old database files that won't work, back into your device. As a note, you should never install a backup image from a different device. The key press codes are different and some old apps won't work correctly on a newer device without being updated by the developers. Also, there will some default database files that will not work properly on a different device.

When you upgrade, the best course of action is hotsync your PIM data and do a fresh install of currently updated apps onto your new device, one at a time. You can however, use a backup image on a replacement device that is the same as the defective device that was replaced.

I would also recommend using a backup program on your device and do regular backups to your card if you are not doing so already. Hotsyncing does not backup files that are not defaulted to backup status. A backup program will backup everything in the RAM, whether or not the file is defaulted to backup status.

Yes. I think you are absolutely right. I do have a backup programme and have backups every month or so. Only thing is I have to individually reinstall all my stuff.. Oh well here goes.

Interesting note though. When I do a soft reset . I am left with only 6.5 MB of DB cache. I have to manually clear it with Reset Doc to get back to 14MB. I had the impression that a soft reset should clear the cache and not add to it.....

Thanks again
    jesus christ. I've been hunting around the web for solutions to this problem and I see it occurs in 2008 and none thereafter.

Well, if anyone's still reading.. listen to my problem.

My phone hangs when i try to answer it with a bluetooth headset. Not all the time, as and when it wishes to, I guess about once every 50 or 60 calls. Sometimes back to back.

I've jumped hard on my phone company, they gave me a new SIM card free.

I jumped on palm, they replaced my centro twice.

I changed my headset 4 times (3 of them still under warranty), the latest is a plantronics discovery 610 because it has bluetooth 1.2 not 2.0

Its not 3rd party software because i didn't install any until I can get my problem resolved. It isn't the DB cache either because i don't use the internet with the phone. I've spent hours on the phone with palm support, done hard resets so many times with so many renaming of backups, tried so many software DBfixit and whatever there may be.

I've just about given up and thinking of dumping Centro. Or I could just go on removing the battery.

Any ideas, anyone. Anybody with my problems?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deebro View Post
    jesus christ. I've been hunting around the web for solutions to this problem and I see it occurs in 2008 and none thereafter.

Well, if anyone's still reading.. listen to my problem.

My phone hangs when i try to answer it with a bluetooth headset. Not all the time, as and when it wishes to, I guess about once every 50 or 60 calls. Sometimes back to back.

I've jumped hard on my phone company, they gave me a new SIM card free.

I jumped on palm, they replaced my centro twice.

I changed my headset 4 times (3 of them still under warranty), the latest is a plantronics discovery 610 because it has bluetooth 1.2 not 2.0

Its not 3rd party software because i didn't install any until I can get my problem resolved. It isn't the DB cache either because i don't use the internet with the phone. I've spent hours on the phone with palm support, done hard resets so many times with so many renaming of backups, tried so many software DBfixit and whatever there may be.

I've just about given up and thinking of dumping Centro. Or I could just go on removing the battery.

Any ideas, anyone. Anybody with my problems?

Thanks
    If it only happens once every 50-60 calls, why bother going through all that effort? How long does it hang? You have to realize that the Centro doesn't multitask, and when a call comes in it must pause the actions it's in the middle of, load the phone's incoming call screen, notify your bluetooth connection to send an alert to the headset, wait for a reply... All while the phone wasn't prepared for a call and was occupied with a different action at the moment.
    I don't know how long it hangs, seems like forever. But it hangs when i'm not using it, more of a wakeup than overload problem. Usually, i answer the phone by clicking my bluetooth, the hearpiece will stop sounding but the phone continues to ring. I then answer by pressing the "send" button, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The ringing stops and the phone freezes. The keys don't work, the touch screen don't work and still shows the answer or ignore button. After a reset, there isn't even any log of an incoming call. Come to think of it, it happens even when I make an outgoing call.

It may not happen that regularly but it does happen and some of my calls are important business calls. Even once every 100 calls is call for concern. Without a call log, I can't even try to trace it.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Sounds like the freeze/lag problem on the GSM Centros.

Ive never had handsfree device though but without one it will stop the ringtone when you click the answer button. The phone will then freeze until the caller hangs uo or gets redirected to voice mail.

Im on my second replacement with this problem. The current Centro also froze but has been fine since I removed the adressbook and applications. (Only had Snappermail and and upgraded version of PocketTunes installed). The previous Centros I had would freeze even when hard reset but this one has been fine for two weeks now.
    Last edited by Andreas; 06/30/2009 at 03:21 AM.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
    Quote Originally Posted by deebro View Post
    I don't know how long it hangs, seems like forever. But it hangs when i'm not using it, more of a wakeup than overload problem. Usually, i answer the phone by clicking my bluetooth, the hearpiece will stop sounding but the phone continues to ring. I then answer by pressing the "send" button, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The ringing stops and the phone freezes. The keys don't work, the touch screen don't work and still shows the answer or ignore button. After a reset, there isn't even any log of an incoming call. Come to think of it, it happens even when I make an outgoing call.

It may not happen that regularly but it does happen and some of my calls are important business calls. Even once every 100 calls is call for concern. Without a call log, I can't even try to trace it.
    Oh, so you mean it crashes not hangs. In that case, see this thread. But don't get your hopes up.
    Crash, hangs, laps, sleep, whatever. It just refuse to response. Thanks for the thread, i've read it but i don't have any battery drain. There were a few times when after a reset, the phone keeps lighting up and turning off after the default time out. After careful checking, i found that it was actually trying to hook up with the earpiece and would continue until the battery ran out. It was easily solved, just disable the bluetooth, turn it back on and do a pairing with the trusted device.

That is why I'm very certain that bluetooth connection is the culprit. I've got new SIM card, changed centro twice. For that I've tried 4 bluetooth headsets and i'm thinking of getting one made by palm. My latest earpiece has only got bluetooth v1.2 because centro doesn't have 2.0, but that didn't solve the problem either.

Just as the thread said, it appears only in quad band sets and people have sworn they have never encountered such situations in CDMA sets. I just find it strange that palm isn't doing anything about it. They knew the problem and the only solution they have is to change your set until the warranty runs out.
    And the most important information i left out, it has no problems if i used the wired headpiece.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    Regarding Palm not doing anything about it probably indicates that its hard to fix.

Palm have blamed the operators but I find that very strange. Seems more likely that its the Centro that is not 100% up to the standards and therefor develop a problem once the operators implemented a change.

Anyway, these are just speculations so don't take them too seriously.

My second replacement has been fine for a month now but if I sync my adressbook, Snappermail and PocketTunes Deluxe the freeze lag problems will turn up again. Note that this is a fresh installation, ive even re-entered my whole adressbook manually so that it wouldnt get any problems with installations from my previous Treo's.

The second replacement also had some kind of software upgrade so perhaps that is working after all.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast