1.    #1  
    I know you're supposed to use the $30 plan with the Centro, but I was wondering if anyone has had their $15 plan changed by AT&T?

Thanks.
    Mike
    My 650 was stolen and I replaced it with a refurbished Centro through the AT&T website. I didn't have a data plan on the 650 and I still don't with the Centro. YMMV
    Hi Mike,

I was curious about this myself.

Someone on another board told me it was likely that I could get around the $30 data plan requirement by either a: buying an unlocked Centro for AT&T off Ebay and adding the $15 data plan on to my current non-PDA AT&T phone then adding the SIM to the Centro when I got it or B: since I had a family plan that was due for device upgrades on both lines, ordering a non-PDA phone with $15 data plan for my line and ordering the Centro with no data for the secodary line and just switching the SIM cards when I got the new phones.

Not sure if either of these 2 scenarios would work and I did not want to risk being locked into another 2 year contract with AT&T if it didnt & I really wanted the Centro w/ data so I left AT&T and went to Sprint instead.

The sad part is AT&T customer retentions knew this would be a deal breaker for me and did nothing to try to keep me AT&T loyal after 6+ years of being with them. I was basically told "We are #1 and Sprint is not a threat so if you want to leave go ahead."
    You need to have the IMEI number of a regular phone set up on your account. Then add the $15 plan, and maybe the $5 text plan as well. Then simply switch the sim card to the treo. I have had multiple treos over the years and never used anything but the Media Net plans. Just set up the Centro for my wife this way.
    Palm Pilot Personal, Palm III, Palm V, Palm IIIc, Kyocera QCP-6035, Sony Clie N710C , Sony Clie N610, Palm Tungsten T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Treo 750, Centro (Wife's), iPhone, Blackjack, iPhone 3g, back to Blackjack, Centro (Mine), Palm PRE, iPhone 3g (again), iPhone 3gs (wife's), iPhone 4, iPad, iPad 2 (wife's), Pre Plus, HP TouchPad.

Yes, I have a problem...
    Seems they only "make" you get the data plan when there is a rebate involved. I've been eyeing the Centro for awhile, and was told in order to get it through both Sprint (who i was with) and AT&T, that i'd have to add the $30 data plan through either carrier, but i could cancel once the rebate came through--so after a month or two. I dragged my heels and am glad that i did, because Best Buy just had the Centro for "free" last week, w/a 2 yr contract w/AT&T. I even double checked w/the workers there and they said i'd only have to get a data plan through Verizon. So i got the basic 450 w/rollover for $39.99/mo. and added the 200 txt messages for $5/mo. HTH.
    You can always go prepaid with a GoPhone PAYG or PYP plan and get unlimited MediaNet for only $20 per month. They don't check IMEI numbers and it often comes out cheaper than a postpaid plan if you don't use a lot of voice minutes each month. I've done this for over a year on my Treo 650 and saved tons of $$$.
    When I asked AT&T about data plans, I was told the reason for the price difference was because the Palm phone required a different data plan to function at 100%. The other plan wouldn't let it do that. Say what??? THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Forida Tony:

I agree, they basically lied to you.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I have the Palm Centro on Verizon and they do not require a data plan. I got a free trial for 30 days and I really don't want to pay $30 a month but I love having data on my phone.
    Don't know what to do.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I would Cancel the Verizon and go with Sprint..
    Quote Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
    I have the Palm Centro on Verizon and they do not require a data plan. I got a free trial for 30 days and I really don't want to pay $30 a month but I love having data on my phone.
    Don't know what to do.
    I second that: Cancel Verizon and go wiht Sprint. Sprint offers much more competative rates on their data plans.