1.    #1  
    I am now on my 3rd 755p from Sprint. Phone shuts down spontaneously, meaning the cell radio. I have tried installing NO third party softwares, starting from scratch then installing the PIMS only. Pain stakingly tried doing everything i need from 3rd party apps with native apps. A week in and everything seems to go well, but today it still happened!

I am led to think that it is because of the bluetooth and cell radios competing for power or something like that. Anyone having this problem as well? Do you have the bluetooth radio on during these shut downs?
    I've been having this exact problem. I just recently contacted Sprint for my first replacement, it should be here in a day or two. The bluetooth radio was on during one of the shutdowns, but all the others (dozens, by now) it was off.

When it happens to you, does the radio turn back on? When my radio turns off, and I try to turn it back on it usually won't turn on until I first perform a soft reset (pull the battery).

Based on your name, are you from Chicago, by any chance? I think it could be a location thing. I seem to have the problem a lot more when I am in the city, vs in the suburbs, might just be in my head though.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk444 View Post
    I've been having this exact problem. I just recently contacted Sprint for my first replacement, it should be here in a day or two. The bluetooth radio was on during one of the shutdowns, but all the others (dozens, by now) it was off.

When it happens to you, does the radio turn back on? When my radio turns off, and I try to turn it back on it usually won't turn on until I first perform a soft reset (pull the battery).

Based on your name, are you from Chicago, by any chance? I think it could be a location thing. I seem to have the problem a lot more when I am in the city, vs in the suburbs, might just be in my head though.
    Nope i am from the south thanks for clearing up the bluetooth radio issue. I have put it all off in case though so i hope the shutdowns won't happen anymore.

WHne it happens, sometimes, when i can wait for it, it'll turn back on... but it has been taking too long lately that i just pull the battery out. There are a couple of resets though when the phone is actually turned off when it come back after the reset. has that happened to you?
    Yeah, there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern in the radio turning on or not after a reset. I'm curious to see what will happen when I switch to the replacement phone.
    Others have had this problem too. Unfortunately, a new phone will not likely fix the problem. That is, unless it's a hardware revision related problem. I have a rev. A phone with this problem. I wonder if rev. B phones have it too.
  6.    #6  
    My phone is currently Rev B. ANd it still does it.

I'll see over the next couple of days. I have sent over my S9 for a replacement and so i will be living without the Bluetooth for a while.

There was another guy over the Palm Support forums with the same problem and he did have the BT on all the time. He has long since switched to the 800w.
    When "On Demand" switched to "Express", "Express" started doing automatic updates. When I went into the settings option of Express and turned off the automatic updates, my phone stopped shutting down every morning.
    I've had the same issue. I find it occurs when either my signal is bad or when its accessing the network. I will push a key not realizing and next thing I know, I get the Sprint screen powering the radio down. I noticed it after I downloaded 1.07.

Rick
  9.    #9  
    well tough luck...

after a week with the bluetooth and smooth operation, my phone had a spontaneous reset.

Dang this is making me crazy. How many times can we hard reset a Treo? i'm starting to get worried.
    I bet it has to do with the Sprint Servers and they are not telling us - I know they are having issues with the OnDemand/PocketExpress getting no connects on auto updates.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Well, just thought I'd post a small update. I got a replacement phone (still H/W rev A) and it didn't exhibit the behavior for over a week. Just now, however, I found that the radio was off, and that it would not turn back on without a reset. Not sure what I am going to do now.

I don't now, and have never, used the "OnDemand" or "PocketExpress" apps, the only app that was actively using the phone connection was ChatterEmail, it was idle on my imap servers.
    I suggest you check Express to see if it is set to auto-update even if you don't use it.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    I came here intending to post the same question, and found this discussion. I'm having the exact same problem with my 755P.

I've had the 755P for about 5-6 months now. A couple months ago I noticed it doing the shutdown/turn-on cycle. It seemed to be:

- Spontaneous, when there was low network signal
    - On demand, when I attempted to access the Internet

In the first case, it would shut the radio off, the phone would lock up and act as if it was dead (blank screen, because I wasn't using the phone when it happened) for a minute or two. Then it would turn the radio back on, and 30 seconds later, everything would be fine as if nothing had ever happened.

In the second case, when opening the web, trying to download mail, whatever, the phone would pause for a few seconds, then go through the same procedure as above, however it would show on the screen what it was doing. In both cases, the phone was completely dead/unresponsive while doing its thing.

Last night, I had the same thing happen again - but when it finished, it still showed the radio as "off". I went to the phone app and tried to make a call. It told me the radio was off, and asked if I wanted to turn it on - I clicked Yes, it went through the radio turn-on cycle, then told me the radio was off and asked if I wanted to turn it on again. The only way to fix it was to pull the battery.

This morning it happened again, and it just happened once more. Both times I am left with a phone that basically turned itself off without my knowledge. Not exactly reliable or trustworthy.

I do not use Express, and have it disabled. I do have Bluetooth on at all times. However, it definitely seems to be network related, not power related.
    I do not have Express installed, and even though I have never launched MyTreo, MyTreo has a scheduled update that is supposed to run periodically. I suppose this is unavoidable because MyTreo is installed in ROM. Using PalmInternals I can see an update task scheduled every few weeks. however, this can not account for the spontaneous phone restarts. My testing so far has shown that the reset seems to occur in borderline coverage areas (like walking into a store), or when downloading large websites or files. This suggests to me that the radio module is actually crashing, and that the restart is not planned or part of any scheduled maintenance. For comparison, my girl friend's Centro never experiences this sort of problem, and we have identical application installations. Obviously, I don't think Palm wil fix this problem, but it isn't a show-stopper problem; just not the sort of problem a $400-600 device should experience.

I would like to add that I live in Chicago. It has been suggested that this problem may be localized to phones in Chicago. I spoke with a Sprint repair engineer (former tower engineer) the other day who told me that, indeed, the towers in Chicago are using different radios than those in other cities. This is due to the upcoming WiMax roll-out. The new tower radios may handle tower-to-tower hand-off differently than the old ones, which could easily explain the sort of problem we're seeing. The Centro radio is not the same as the one in the 755p, and that may be why those phones do not share this problem.
  15.    #15  
    I am still having this issue, but less when i have little 3rd party apps installed. good that you mentioned the myTreo app has autoupdate i just turned that off.

In general i think it is the phone somewhat crashing. it is another way the OS resets.