Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Hi, I am looking for a good alternative to NVBackup that will restore my device to its original state prior to a hard reset. Browsing through the TC forums, I've found some backup application suggestions and narrowed down my choices to Resco Backup and BackupBuddy VFS. I'm a tad bit confused though since it seems that both programs do not completely backup all the data in a snapshot like manner ala NVBackup. Can someone explain this and the pros/cons of each program? Thanks.
    NVBackup is free and works perfectly for me. Why don't you use it?
    Resco Backup and NVBackup are the solutions of choice. I have tried all of them for Palm OS and prefer Resco Backup. Their WM solution though has problems.
    I too would like to know what BackupBuddy fails to do that NV does???

Thanks.

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by Yahrghrr View Post
    Hi, I am looking for a good alternative to NVBackup that will restore my device to its original state prior to a hard reset
    I'm another one that has to ask why? NVBackup is free and it's been flawless for me. Why would you need an alternative?

I also have Resco Backup Pro which I started using before I found out about NVBackup.
    There are those occasions when one wants a few more options - that is the only reason for Resco Backup.
    NVBackup has been fantastic for me also - and its free!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Yes it is free, yes it work, but the options - really depends upon the needs of the individual. I tired it, liked it but continued using Resco Backup due again to the options it offers.
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Yes it is free, yes it work, but the options - really depends upon the needs of the individual. I tired it, liked it but continued using Resco Backup due again to the options it offers.
    That's the point. I think it depends on which of the two apps you try first. For sure if one tries Resco first, likes it, ends up buying it, and THEN tries NVBackup, that person will probably go back to Resco (good app and already paid anyway).

But I bet that if one tries free-NVBackup first and like it (practically a given) and then tries $-Resco, that person more than probably will end up deleting Resco and staying with NVBackup. That's if she/he even feels the need to give Resco Backup a try after being satisfied with NVB's great performance and very low price ($0.00) ... not highly probable unless money is very easy for that person.

NVBackup simply does the job. Backs things up to the card and restore things to the device when/if necessary. Is reliable, simple, stable and free. Can't beat that.
    Last edited by Cheker; 08/14/2008 at 08:16 PM.
    I think the only difference between NVBackup and Resco Backup Pro is that with NVBackup, you can do scheduled backups but it's every day, you can't choose which day or days you want to back up. All or none.

With Resco, the scheduled backup is more configurable. You can choose which days you would like to back up.

That's the only major difference that I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimmer View Post
    With Resco, the scheduled backup is more configurable. You can choose which days you would like to back up.
    Can you schedule NVBackup to backup at a certain time each day? For example at 3 am daily?

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    Can you schedule NVBackup to backup at a certain time each day? For example at 3 am daily?
    Yes, you can. That's when I do it, backup when I'm asleep. You can also have it automatically upload your backup to an FTP server so you have copies there if you need them.
    Yes and if you rely upon FTP, what happens when you cannot get a data connection? Also, I started with a backup application that was free and very similar to NVBackup. The difference for me were the options.
    Yes, you can. That's when I do it, backup when I'm asleep. You can also have it automatically upload your backup to an FTP server so you have copies there if you need them.

TKS Chimmer
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Yes and if you rely upon FTP, what happens when you cannot get a data connection?
    Then you simply can't connect. That has happened before. The point is, you aren't completely relying on FTP. After your scheduled backup, it will then automatically upload to an FTP site. So, for each backup you make, you have one on the card and one on the FTP site.

It's good to have an "extra" in case your card gets hosed, or you lose your phone and card. In that case, you get a new phone, new card and then restore backup from FTP site (assuming you get identical replacement phone.)
    Please help me; does NVBackup capture anything not captured by BackupBuddy. Also, BackupBuddy can put a backup on your computer; can NV do that? I realize that BBuddy does not have FTP functionality. My question concerns any elements of the data/programs/prefs/etc. that NV captures which BBuddy does not???

Many thanks.

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Please help me; does NVBackup capture anything not captured by BackupBuddy. Also, BackupBuddy can put a backup on your computer; can NV do that?
    I don't know about BackupBuddy because I don't use it. I do know that NVBackup will restore everything on your Centro to the exact state of the backup. For example, say you do a hard reset and restore everything to factory defaults. You can then restore from NVBackup and everything will be exactly like it was prior to the hard reset.

As far as putting a backup on your computer, NVBackup can't do that by itself, but you can use an app such as Card Export II to connect your phone to your PC. It will read it as an external drive. You can then copy your backups from your card to your PC and vice versa.

As far as putting a backup on your computer, NVBackup can't do that by itself, but you can use an app such as Card Export II to connect your phone to your PC. It will read it as an external drive. You can then copy your backups from your card to your PC and vice versa.

I do this manually. Pull out my micro SD card and insert it into my laptop and copy the files.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    I don't know about BackupBuddy because I don't use it. I do know that NVBackup will restore everything on your Centro to the exact state of the backup. For example, say you do a hard reset and restore everything to factory defaults. You can then restore from NVBackup and everything will be exactly like it was prior to the hard reset.

As best I understand it, BBuddy makes the same claim and let's you control what get restored.

Anyone know??

Many thanks.

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    As best I understand it, BBuddy makes the same claim and let's you control what get restored.
    Anyone know??
    NVBackup does the same, it allows you to do a full restore, or a selective restore. Since it's free, why don't you give it a try?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast