1.    #1  
    I just received an email from Blue Nomad at 4:45 am this morning saying that WordSmith 2.0 was released! They have also added a new news headline about the release. Now my problem is that all of their download links are still to the 1.12 version!

Where oh were has my WordSmith gone...
    Where oh where can it be...

If anyone can find the correct download link, let us know!
  2.    #2  
    Found it. The links are correct, but Blue Nomad has not updated all of their web pages to show that it is indeed WordSmith 2.0.

Any opinions/experiences? I don't have a colour unit, so I can't check out FineType. I am experiencing an annoying Fatal Exception problem with a couple of my documents. Grrrr....
  3.    #3  
    Important for non-colour WordSmith users: You must disable FineType fonts before opening a document or you will likely receive a Fatal Exception error. FineType is enabled by default. This has solved my earlier problems with crashing.

I don't know why Blue Nomad just didn't put in a hardware check to see if the device was capable...
    No problem with FineType here on my VDX. I'm able to see all my docs just fine. New version looks great. I like the place holders for the graphics (although being able to see the graphics would be better ) and the new formatting options are great. I like being able to set the Document font for Word and have it displayed differently on my VDX. Very happy with the upgrade.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by sdoersam
    No problem with FineType here on my VDX. I'm able to see all my docs just fine. New version looks great. I like the place holders for the graphics (although being able to see the graphics would be better ) and the new formatting options are great. I like being able to set the Document font for Word and have it displayed differently on my VDX. Very happy with the upgrade.
    It's odd. I also have a VDx, but some of my documents refuse to open when I have FineType enabled; I just get a Fatal Exception when the file is finished loading. Generally, most of my documents open just fine though. Easy solution: just shut off FineType (which doesn't really work on a VDx anyway).

Maybe it is just those few documents. I'll try resynchronizing them and see if that makes any difference.
    I thought FineType was just for color devices. Its not. True, they don't look as nice as those seen in the screen shots FineType on color devices but its nice to see where I have different fonts in my documents. As far as the Fatal Exception errors people have been having with VDX and FineType, I haven't noticed any. The only problem I had was that when I put the Wordsmith 2.0 manual on my VDX and loaded it, I got a message saying that the "document contains elements that this version of WordSmith does not recognize. It was probably created with a newer version of WordSmith. Please download the latest version from www.bluenomad.com." I synced this document when I installed WS2.0. Maybe it synced before 2.0 was installed? It doesn't seem to affect the way it is displayed.

All in all, a great program has gotten even better. I like the fact that the manual was set so it can be a great example of how everything works on 2.0.
    I got the same error when istalling the manual. Other than that everything is great. Particularly the support for bulleted lists.
    Arg, Blue Nomad's server is being swamped. I spent like an hour downloading WS 2.0 at speeds ranging from 3.4kps to 516 bps! And then when the download was done, something was corrupt and it wouldn't install! I want it baaaaad!
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    I'm curiois about the fatal errors...

I recently installed 1.12 on my VPL. And it was fine.

I updated the OS via the handpsring updater and always get a fatal exception error now.

Hopefulyl 2.0 will clear it up and I can deied if its the way to go.
    Matthew,
    have you tried some of the mirrors for it. In addition to the file being on the BlueNomad server, the download page lists several mirrors for 2.0.

Jason
    What does everyone think of Fine Type? IMO it looks good on normal text but its kind of ugly on bold or large text.

As for Mirrors, Volcano is right. The best is Handango, both Blue Nomad's & PalmGear are swamped.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    You really need to see how FineType looks on the Sony. Incredible. Text looks as good or better than on my monitor.
    I think FineType looks pretty good, even on a VDX. The reason I was so happy to see that FineType does work with non-color devices is that I commonly work with documents that have more than one font and the ability to see the difference quickly on the Palm is nice. I can only imagine how good they look on the Prism.

One of the features that is mentioned on the press release but not really mentioned much in this forum is the ability to see subscript and superscript. This is great since I tend to work a lot with scientific papers that use powers of ten. Before all you would see is something like "5.1 x1013 W" but now you can see the 13 as a superscript.

right now I am going through all my papers and adding bookmarks to them. Before it was a pain to get to specific parts of a 20 or 30 page paper. Now that I have bookmarked all the headings, it's much easier to navigate through these lengthy papers.

Jason
    Originally posted by everything's a blur

some of my documents refuse to open when I have FineType enabled; I just get a Fatal Exception when the file is finished loading
    I haven't read the manual or tried the new version yet... just a guess, but could this be caused by not having the appropriate font file converted on the VDx?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  15. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Originally posted by bradhaak
    You really need to see how FineType looks on the Sony. Incredible. Text looks as good or better than on my monitor.
    I agree. I tried it on the Prism, and it's OK, but it's really amazing on the Clie. Definitely better than any 2.5"x2.5" section of my monitor could do. Sony should just license this technology and use it for all the systemwide fonts.
  16.    #16  
    Originally posted by MarkEagle

I haven't read the manual or tried the new version yet... just a guess, but could this be caused by not having the appropriate font file converted on the VDx?
    Perhaps, but it is happening on documents which contain no special fonts at all. I'm stumped.

I'm going to beam a document over to my brother's m505 and see if it crashes his WordSmith (which has FineType enabled and it looks SSOOOOO much better than my VDx).
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by Rob
    I agree. I tried it on the Prism, and it's OK, but it's really amazing on the Clie. Definitely better than any 2.5"x2.5" section of my monitor could do. Sony should just license this technology and use it for all the systemwide fonts.
    Palm should license the technology and make it system-wide in OS 5. That would give them a leg up on Pocket PCs where ClearType is only used in Microsoft Reader.

I guess Palm would need to do away with these monochrome screens at that point though...
    I am running a VDX, and finefonts are unreadable, regardless of size.

Furthermore they do not appear within the text area, but bleed into the menus and all over.

I am running no hacks, tried loading fonts, etc. no gains.

Beyond that turned off it works fine.

KG