1.    #1  
    I want to have GPS on my phone and read that the Globalsat bt-338 was compatable with the Centro. I also understand that the only software that works is Garmin Mobile XT. I downloaded Mobile XT from Garmins site, then paired the receiver with my phone. The phone recognized the receiver, but when I activated XT it scanned for the receiver and never found it. I then emailed Garmin and they told me to program the receiver to NMEA protocol which I then did using SIRF Demo. That got me the same result. I am waiting to get the micro SD card of XT to see if loading that might make a difference. Does anyone know about this?
    The version that comes with the SD card will allow you to use with any 3rd party GPS receiver that uses NMEA (which is most of them).

I now use the Keychain 2000 GPS, which is the smallest out there and even has better reception than my old BT-338.

By the way, when using my Centro with Mobile XT, I could connect to the BT-338 no problem (with or without pairing), when using the SD card version of XT.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    You can also use TomTom 6... I believe you can use other brands of recievers with the latest version of Mobile XT. You can find that here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=010-00579-00
    I use telenav that way I don't have to worry about switching my microSD card which is a pain.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalell View Post
    I want to have GPS on my phone and read that the Globalsat bt-338 was compatable with the Centro. I also understand that the only software that works is Garmin Mobile XT. I downloaded Mobile XT from Garmins site, then paired the receiver with my phone. The phone recognized the receiver, but when I activated XT it scanned for the receiver and never found it.
    This is for Sprint's version of Centro.

I've used the BT338 on Centro with TomTom6. With ROM 1.05 it worked great and TomTom always found the BT GPS under all conditions. If BT was off, it would turn on BT and find it. If I switched out of TomTom, it would find the BT GPS upon restarting. If I put the phone in standby, it would find it when starting up again. Basically it was rock solid.

When I installed ROM 1.07, it came with an "improved" bluetooth driver. With this driver, my Centro would only find the BT GPS about 75% of the time. The other times it would get into a strange state where the Centro's BT pairing screen would show the device was connected, but TomTom couldn't find the GPS. If I manually disconnected the BT GPS, sometimes the phone would reset. Anyway I compared ROM 1.07 and 1.05 side-by-side and for TomTom and my BT338, 1.05 was much more stable. 1.07 might have other BT improvements though, and it has the My Location feature working for Google Maps, but the GPS was more important so I'm sticking with 1.05 for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDMTREO View Post
    I use telenav that way I don't have to worry about switching my microSD card which is a pain.
    But you have to pay monthly or yearly for that.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Telenav has its advantidges, in my area they just rebuild I15 a couple of years ago, all of the exits changed, Telenav had them updated almost over night, also if you look at the cost of updating maps it is not that bad, the problem I have with it is that alot of the places I go does not have cell coverage letalone internet so I switched to garmin, and by the way I have had no problems with it or my blutooth recieve, the keychain 2000, even with the update to the hard drive.
    Terry