Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A few years back, Sprint had a wireless web connection kit that included a software disk and cable for a specific phone. Once software was installed, it allowed a wireless "dial up" connection via the cell phone.

I'm looking for a solution to allow me to use the Centro to connect my laptop to the internet when there are no hotspots available.

Anyone know how to do this? Software and cable availability? Can it be done via the hotsync cable with the appropriate software?

Thanks,
    Lonnie
    Do a search for "USB Modem" or "PdaNet". Take your pick.

I use USB Modem, since it works seamlessly with Macs (and Windoze).
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    USB Modem works great for me too, on both Mac and PC.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    For the life of me I can't get USB Modem to work over Bluetooth with my Mac (running Leopard), but using my usb cable it works just fine.
    Pdanet for the win!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by nukular View Post
    For the life of me I can't get USB Modem to work over Bluetooth with my Mac (running Leopard), but using my usb cable it works just fine.
    I tried setting up the bluetooth and gave up after about 20-30 minutes as well. I use the USB cable for the mac.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjgmoney View Post
    Pdanet for the win!!!
    Ditto!

By the way, no matter which you use, you will not want Sprint to know you're doing it as they offer the Phone as Modem plan that cost another $39 per month.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  8.    #8  
    Thank you all for the info.

I downloaded both, to give them a try - and then installed the Palm desktop that came with my Centro (sprint). That was hours ago. Seems that Palm does not provide support for Vista 64 bit... no drivers, etc. I can get desktop to run, after downloading the "vista" compatible version - but no hotsync. Vista keeps looking for device drivers when I plug the centro into the USB port. I've been looking for drivers, but don't know what I am looking for to enable a usb cable hotsync on Vista 64.

AND, I can't get either of the aforementioned programs to run without a hotsync! (My laptop does not have bluetooth capability - which is the only fix I have found on the net so far... sigh)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Lonnie
    USB modem is onsale for $10 this week!!!!

http://software.palminfocenter.com/p...SB-Modem-(Palm)
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    What do I need to put in my Mac's System Preferences-Network to get this to work? I can see the Centro modem, but I don't know what setting to put into this panel.
    Live life Full Throttle!

RogerDodger
    I copied the appropriate section below from the PDF manual. I have Sprint so my number was #777 and the username was blahblah03@sprintpcs.com and I left the password blank. Not sure what the other carriers use.

1. Consult your wireless provider on the important parameters that are necessary to setup the
    connection. These include the dial number, user name and password (the latter two may be
    blank). For GPRS or EDGE connections the access point name (APN) is also required.
    2. Connect your Treo with the USB Modem application installed to the Mac using a USB cable.
    3. Start the USB Modem application on the Treo, set the Connectivity method to USB and
    enable the modem mode.
    4. Go into System Preferences -> Network. You should see the New Port Detected message box
    that says that a new network port called Treo 650 USB Modem (or according to your actual
    device) has been detected. Press the OK button to proceed. Sometimes you would not see this
    message box. This might happen if the Network panel was launched too fast after enabling the
    modem mode on the Treo and the system did not enumerate the USB bus yet. In this case close
    the System Preferences, disable the modem mode on the Treo then enable it again and repeat
    this step.
    5. Select the Treo 650 USB Modem item in the Show pull-down list.
    6. Properties for the network port will be displayed. Go to the Modem tab and select either
    Mobile Stream CDMA option (for CDMA 1xRTT or EvDO networks) or
    Mobile Stream GSM option (for GSM GPRS or EDGE networks) in the Modem pull-down
    menu. It is recommended to disable the Wait for dial tone before dialing option.
    7. Go back to the PPP tab, type in the optional Service Provider name (e.g. Internet via Treo
    USB Modem), fill in the Account Name, Password and Telephone Number fields with the
    values you got from your provider. Usually the number is #777 for CDMA networks and
    *99***1# for GSM networks.
    8. Now press the PPP Options... button and disable the Send PPP Echo packets and
    Use TCP header compression options in the dialog then press the OK button. Note that with
    Verizon you may actually need to enable the Send PPP Echo packets option to prevent
    disconnecting after short period of inactivity.
    9. Press the Apply Now button to save the network port settings.
    10. Press the Dial Now button. In the displayed dialog press the Connect button to start the
    connection. Note that for GPRS or EDGE connection the additional message box will appear
    asking for the access point name (APN). Provide it and press the OK button to go on with the
    connection process.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I personally use the PDANet from June Fabrics and It does the job. I am usually Mobile on my Laptop while on Patrol and It's a breeze being able to hop online and look up some information on the internet and stay in touch with friends..loved ones.etc. I have a car mount for the Centro so I can always see if there is an incomming call while I am online...You can find PDANet Below

Brian
    www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    what's the major difference between pda net and usb modem?
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    pdanet works!
    $9.95 for USB Modem (until 8/17) versus $34 for PdaNet. I say try them both and assuming they work similarly, the price should make the choice obvious.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    They both work. USB modem provides both USB modem and Bluetooth modem profiles. That means it looks just like a USB modem or Bluetooth modem to your OS. Since standard modems are supported under many operating systems, USB modems implementations works on more platforms.

Most of the difficulty comes because people no longer remember how to set up modems and Dial Up Networking in their OS.

PDAnet uses some other implementation. I want to say ActiveSync based, but I don't remember. It basically works only in windows.

IMO you should try USB modem first, and if it doesn't work for you try PDANet. USB modem is a cleaner lightweight solution IMO, so there is less getting between your laptop and the net.
    As mentioned above, USB modem is Windows, Linux and Mac compatible. PDANet is only Windows.

In the past, forum posts seem to indicate that USB Modem is slightly faster. However, for the Sprint/VZW crowd, the latest PDANet includes an EVDO speed booster.

I know many people have had good luck with both. I went the USB Modem way for it's small footprint, mulit-os capability and simple Windows driver support.
    im not sure if usbmodern is usable at all now. since it asks for password of sprint power vision service. and since begining of this year. sprint doesn't allow users to change or know that password anymore.

pdanet is much easier. users don't need to fill nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    im not sure if usbmodern is usable at all now. since it asks for password of sprint power vision service. and since begining of this year. sprint doesn't allow users to change or know that password anymore.
    You don't need to use your sprint email or pwd to use USB modem. You can use "web" for both and it should work. I got the info from this very thorough and informative article on how to use your CDMA phone as a modem: http://www.engadget.com/2005/01/18/h...s-a-usb-modem/
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post

pdanet is much easier. users don't need to fill nothing
    USB Modem doesn't ask for any password. It is Windows Dial-Up Networking that is asking for the username/password, which it does for any PPP connection you configure through it. When using USB Modem on the Centro, you can basically enter anything you want, it doesn't matter. The internet traffic will go through the normal data connections of your phone, which will automatically use the Power Vision IDs stored on the phone.
    Last edited by sfhub; 08/16/2008 at 12:01 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast