Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by DVee View Post
    You don't need to use your sprint email or pwd to use USB modem. You can use "web" for both and it should work. I got the info from this very thorough and informative article on how to use your CDMA phone as a modem: http://www.engadget.com/2005/01/18/h...s-a-usb-modem/
    However, I am not sure about sprint, but I know with verizon you will pay for this usage (with this method I first connected my treo (had a treo before the centro, but no difference in application) as a modem, got the drivers and connected. As soon as I went to browse, I was taken to a vzw page and told to accept that I was allowing tethering. With vzw this is an extra $15/mo. Not really interested myself....

However, with pdanet, and I believe usbmodem (though I have only used the former) it doesn't use the phone as a modem, just a conduit, so they don't know where the usage is from and you don't get charged to do it
    Wow ... I can't believe how easy it was to get USB Modem up and running. Just installed it on the Centro, dumped the modem scripts into the proper place on my Mac, and set up the dial-up connection. The manual instructions are a little different that what I did because I'm using Leopard -- when I opened up the Network panel, it already had a port called Centro USB Modem, and all I had to do was select the proper modem script and enter in the login info (use #777 as the phone number, and anything as username/password). Turned off airport and dialed in, and I'm posting using it now I'm sold, went ahead and bought it or $9.95 (the site claims it's the last day).

Oops, just as I was typing this, the modem disconnected ny itself ...
  3. afr
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Wow ... I can't believe how easy it was to get USB Modem up and running. Just installed it on the Centro, dumped the modem scripts into the proper place on my Mac, and set up the dial-up connection. The manual instructions are a little different that what I did because I'm using Leopard -- when I opened up the Network panel, it already had a port called Centro USB Modem, and all I had to do was select the proper modem script and enter in the login info (use #777 as the phone number, and anything as username/password). Turned off airport and dialed in, and I'm posting using it now I'm sold, went ahead and bought it or $9.95 (the site claims it's the last day).

I run PDANet a lot of the time, but some of the time use Sprint's Mobile Broadband software for using the phone as a modem...the difference being that Sprint's software allows you to still use the Palm for applications while also being used as a modem. Pretty handy if you want to look up a contact while you are online (okay...I could also look at the Palm Desktop app for that). But with all of the software I have running on my Centro, sometimes I need to get into an app while online without ending the session. PDANet stops working when you use the Palm for anything else. The Sprint software is free (and now actually works).
    USBModem has the option to work in the background, allowing you to use other apps while it's connected.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post

yea, usbmodem works like a charm... the only thing that i have a problem with vista is that when i don't have my centro connected.. i get a popup to use the usbmodem .. i believe i can change this somewhere in my preference.. does anyone know how?
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    I can connect my Centro to Sprint using USBModem but no sites are found on IE or by pinging. Is there something else I have to do to enable DHCP?

Thanks,

Geoff
    You should have made and connected the "dial-up" connection in the Mac or Windows in order for your computer to use the connection.

I seem to remember having that exact problem, but now I can't remember what I did to fix it!!
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    The key is to use web/web as the userid/password for Sprint.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I'm trying PDANet on Windows PC with Centro. I got no installation errors but I get "Unable to connect 779"
    This thing is driving me insane. I have USBModem running and the computer recognizes it fine, but when I go to setup a dial-up connection, it says no modems can be found. When I go to setup a connection anyway, it tells me the wizard cannot complete. Any ideas?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12