Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Hi, I tried to pair an Earthmate GPS BT-20 unit with a 680. The bluetooth pairing was fine. But Google maps on the Treo 680 does not have a way to connect to this GPS unit. Maybe only dedicated software like Telenav can?

Anyone out there doing GPS with their Treo 680? How exactly did you get it to work? Would appreciate the info a lot!

Thx,
    Roger
    I actually don't remember doing anything -- I'm using a Garmin XT. It just "seemed" to work.

HOWEVER, that said, the Google maps don't scroll as you move (at least not on my unit). The Google maps will find your location once and keep the map there; I have to keep shutting down and re-starting Google maps to get my position updated, as opposed to Garmin's XT which follows along on about 1-second updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoger View Post
    Hi, I tried to pair an Earthmate GPS BT-20 unit with a 680. The bluetooth pairing was fine. But Google maps on the Treo 680 does not have a way to connect to this GPS unit. Maybe only dedicated software like Telenav can?

Anyone out there doing GPS with their Treo 680? How exactly did you get it to work? Would appreciate the info a lot!

Thx,
    Roger
    Tomtom GPS works with the 680 - (at least it did till my bluetooth crashed - Palm and I will be working on this on Monday nite).
    I use Telenav on my 680 for GPS which works nicely.

There is a 3rd party app called "Where am I" that will feed GPS coordinates to Google maps. You can not get turn by turn, but it gives u a good map.

Lastly, "My Location" will use cell towers to approximate your location and feed that data to Google Maps.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Thanks, all! So it looks like as long as the software knows what's doing, it ought to find the GPS by Bluetooth. Strange that my Verizon Touch shows the Earthmate with its proper name, whereas my friend's Treo says "unknown device....!"
    Roger