Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So my little brothers decided to get me a case online form ebay for my bday so he's lookin for something on the cheaper side

now I've read the the sticky on cases and I'm still partial on these two cases below:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-RUBBER-HAR...6.c0.m14.l1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/FREE-S-H-BLACK-G...6.c0.m14.l1318

any opnions?
    Palm Centro (VZW)
    W/ 1GB SDHC
    That is a difficult question and depends upon your environment (not politically speaking). A hard case is good, but when it gets dropped, often falls apart. The silicone case handles lights falls and does not fall apart and in addition does a pretty good job of keeping the device clean. My wife "had" a hard case for her Centro and trashed it after it fell and broke apart.
    I was also unsure which I liked so I bought both. Found that the silicon one, while slimmer, is difficult to put in or take out of pockets coz it grips the fabric, so I'm using the hard clear case now. On the flip side, it would not slide out of a pocket easily. If I had that on my Treo 680 it wouldn't have fallen out of my pocket into the lake!

My 680 had a hard case which took a lot of beating. At the end it was barely hanging on with 2 of the 4 tabs holding it together broken. When dropped it flew apart spectacularly, but the phone is still protected because the case absorbed the fall.

BTW the $39.99 "original price" of the gel one sounds extraordinarily high. Which reminds me, I'll have to put my unused silicone one on ebay :-)
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    Saron (or any silicon case user),

I picture the silicon cases coming out of the pocket with lint stuck all over it. Being a clean freak, this would drive me bonkers. Does that happen?
    I had a silicone case for my 650 and did not hesitate to buy one for mine or my wife's Centro. We have no problems with lint being stuck to it.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post

I picture the silicon cases coming out of the pocket with lint stuck all over it. Being a clean freak, this would drive me bonkers. Does that happen?
    Mine does, a little bit. Not covered in lint but a few flecks. Depends on the make, I suppose.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    My hard shell is difficult to remove. Which didn't bug me until I realized the Centro doesn't have a reset button.
    I'm using egrips on my Centro. I'm pretty happy with them. www.egrips.com

I've used a lot of cases over the years, from expensive leather brands to hard shells to slip covers. With smaller devices, cases bother me because they bulk up the device and make it harder to access my phone. I would rather just put the phone in my pocket and go.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I have both cases.
    Between these two, I will go for Rubber hard case.

The downside with silicone is that it will stretch over time.
    To be fair, hard case will not be as sturdy once you reopen it.
    (In fact, the pieces holding two parts will break if you open and close
    a few times) But it does look much better. (and cheaper
    for your brothers, too!)
    If it breaks, just get a new one. It's only about five bucks.
    I have spare one in case it breaks on me again.
    Luckily, mine broke within 30 days and my vendor gave
    me a replacement.
    Hope my experience helps you.

Good luck and happy birthday.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Both of your choices are coated, so there will be some friction in your pocket.

It may be my imagination, but though my silicon skin is very thin, the phone seems more noticeable in my pocket than the naked Centro. I've been surmising that the naked plastic Centro lets gravity finds its natural and proper place in the pocket, while the silicon skinned Centro doesn't--friction and gravity mix, and sometimes the Centro lies cockeyed. But this may just be my imagination.

Yeah, dust flecks here and there, and a few less-black smudge marks, not really noticeable to me, but I'm def. not a clean freak.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8-wrx View Post
    My hard shell is difficult to remove. Which didn't bug me until I realized the Centro doesn't have a reset button.
    look for the free app mReset.. it allows you to reset just by tapping the app icon
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I loved the idea of a silicon and have/had tried them. but I had to bail is just to hard to stick into a pocket as they stick to much. so I think the best is a super slim, not bulky hard fitted case like the Seido... or the knock off version on eBay for a fraction of the cost, which is what I bought.
    I just use a belt clip leather case and remove it from that. So far I have no issues with it.
    Another option is the Best Skins Ever, Bodygaurdz, and InvisilbeShield. The InvisibleShield adds a nice grippy feel but does not get hung up in my pocket like silicon cases. I would recommend going BSE because it is cheaper, even though InvsibleShield has lifetime warranty for $24 it still costs $4 for shipping replacements from them and then the money and hassle to return it back to them.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I just recieved the eBay Hard Rubber Case an I am very pleased with it. Great feel without much added size.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
    Quote Originally Posted by strobeyprobey View Post
    Another option is the Best Skins Ever, Bodygaurdz, and InvisilbeShield. The InvisibleShield adds a nice grippy feel but does not get hung up in my pocket like silicon cases. I would recommend going BSE because it is cheaper, even though InvsibleShield has lifetime warranty for $24 it still costs $4 for shipping replacements from them and then the money and hassle to return it back to them.
    I tried the Best Skins Ever a few years ago. It looked great, but I didn't really like the way it felt. It wasn't slippery, but I just didn't like the way it felt in my hand. I've never tried the others you mentioned.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JHETZEL View Post
    I just recieved the eBay Hard Rubber Case an I am very pleased with it. Great feel without much added size.
    Thanks for the report.

- Does it slide pretty freely into the pocket?
    - How is access to the edge keys (Option, space, Menu, backspace, new-line, etc)? Do you have to alter your thumbs to a more vertical position?
    - How is fingernail access to the battery icon? (I haven't found a case of any thickness that allows this, for a typically trimmed male fingernail.)
    - Do you find the belt clip ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott_L View Post

Depends on the clothes that you wear, how much lint they have. Also the color of the case. I have both clear and black cases on my 755p, and it does show up more on the black. But not enough to be a distraction. I have used both hard and soft (including the top of the line Vaja cases) and I find that the silicone offer a better all around protection than any other case I've tried. I get the ones I use off of eBay for $3-$4-$5 apiece so cost isn't that much of an issue when it comes time to replace.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    I'm a fan of the rubberized plastic cases over silicone. The thinner silicone cases are too thin and stretchy, the thicker ones cover up the silver area and just seem too bulky. Though you can always cut out the button covered area.

The Proguard rubberized plastic cases are dirt cheap (under $6 on ebay), lock together better than the Seidio version and give you the option of a belt clip so you don't have to shove it in an even bulkier holster of some sort if you want to carry it on your belt. I've dropped it many times on to concrete, pavement and such with never a problem. It probably took 10 plus drops for me to finally break off one of the clips that held it together.

My only negative on the ebay rubberized plastic ones are the cutouts are too small. It comes too close to the keyboard and is the same size as the screen. Makes tapping or selecting at the edges of the screen a touch more difficult and the edge keys slightly more difficult to press. I have adapted pretty well to those two things, and I also emailed Cellet (the mfg of them) to mention that issue and they really should change it as it's the best option and pricepoint out there for the product. ebay people must buy them for a buck or two in bulk to be able to sell it for $6 shipped because you figure it's about $4 after fees and shipping, and they still need to turn a profit. Which just shows how much mark up there is for companies like Seidio and Boxwave.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
    Thanks for the report.

- Does it slide pretty freely into the pocket?
    - How is access to the edge keys (Option, space, Menu, backspace, new-line, etc)? Do you have to alter your thumbs to a more vertical position?
    - How is fingernail access to the battery icon? (I haven't found a case of any thickness that allows this, for a typically trimmed male fingernail.)
    - Do you find the belt clip ok?
    My answers:

- The case does slide freely into the pocket.
    - The only negative is the edges, particularly option and menu. You may need to alter your thumbs or use your thumb nail. on the screen it takes more effort to click items in the corners.
    - Fingernail access to battery icon is difficult and I use my stylus.
    - belt clip isnt bad, but since I usually slide the phone in my pocket I removed the nub for the sake of comfort. It is easy to reinstall it with a small phillips screw driver. When i tested the clip it was comfortable and seemed sturdy.
    Tell a man there are 300 billion stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Check out my crazy Golden Retrievers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast