1.    #1  
    I'm almost at the end of a 2 year Verizon contract for my business. I've been a palm user for nearly a decade. In the last 2 years I had more than 6 700ps; went through the network outage with the firmware upgrade, even now my 700p is buggy, slow and prone to 10 second mystery freezes (no outside apps except for butler and versamail). I have sworn up and down never to get another palm product, but (1) my PIM software has great palm integration and crap for winmobile, and (2) Verizon is the only decent local service available. So I am actually considering getting a Centro. Has anyone on the board with a crummy 700p experience had a good experience with a Centro?
    Centro is a much more stable device that the 700p. If you can deal with the smaller screen, KB and battery, it is the way to go. Alternatively, you can get a 755p which is nearly the same but with bigger screen, kb and battery.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    If you are a POS fan, the the Centro is just a more compact version of the 700 less the problems.

I got the Centro to hold me over till the 800W comes to Verizon. I started with 700P but it was unusable with all of the problems. Switched to the 700WX which was a solid device except for the BT. It died from overuse and now after about 8 weeks (??) with the Centro it has been a great solid little phone. (knock on wood)

I don't see the battery problems everyone talks about. I push my e-mail through wireless sync and average 50 to 60 calls a day and I am at 40% by 5PM. I can't complain about that. I charge it for 15 to 30 minutes after work and I am good for the rest of the day.

I do not think I've had a reset yet.
    Go for the Centro!

I just made the move from Sprint 700p (after 2 yrs). A Palm user since 1996.

This device benefits from all the improvements that were achieved from previous Palm smartphones.

Very, very stable compared the my 700p. I constantly experienced resets and always looked to some app causing it. Others have said it was the way that the 700p handled some stuff. (I'm not a techie)
    I definitely believe them now.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Ditto. Much more reliable, snappier. A joy to use. You won't regret going to the Centro. I have largish hands and bad eyesight, but I don't mind the smaller size.
    I'll echo the sentiments of the previous posters. I'm on Verizon, and went through a similar number of Treo 700pos units... I even defected to a Crackberry for a few weeks, but couldn't live w/o my 10+ years of accumulated PalmOS-based apps and data files.

The Centro is smaller, faster, and in my experience, much more stable. Every now and then, I pull out the old 700p, and marvel at just how big, ugly, and heavy it is by comparison.

One thing not yet mentioned here, is that the Centro seems to do better on reception than the 700p or 755p. We have two Centros (counting mine) here at the office, and they both perform much better than any previous Treos in low signal areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesehead007 View Post
    One thing not yet mentioned here, is that the Centro seems to do better on reception than the 700p or 755p. We have two Centros (counting mine) here at the office, and they both perform much better than any previous Treos in low signal areas.
    Agreed. My 700p roams in areas where my wife's Centro still has 2-3 bars.
    My Sprint Centro is fantastic.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  9.    #9  
    Thanks all for responding. I guess it'll be a Centro after all. This time last year I would have bet $1000 against my ever getting another Palm product. I have to say that I am mystified at the lack of regular progress by Palm since the Treo 600 introduction and I would have hoped they had a thin model with a new OS by now... oh well.
    I had 5 700p's with all the same problems and I finally got a Centro and haven't looked back since. You won't regret it.
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosalindavenue View Post
    Thanks all for responding. I guess it'll be a Centro after all. This time last year I would have bet $1000 against my ever getting another Palm product. I have to say that I am mystified at the lack of regular progress by Palm since the Treo 600 introduction and I would have hoped they had a thin model with a new OS by now... oh well.
    I had been waiting for the new Linux POS2 phone but it now looks like that won't be out for at least a year. I saw that the 755P was being closed out, so went to get one of the last two in town. I liked my wifes Centro, though the smaller screen/keyboard/battery seemed a compromise. In the end, I figured better stability - even compared to the 755P - would be worth it.

Turns out that the screen and keyboard size are not an issue, it is more stable, and battery life is as good or better since at work I had lousy signal with the 700P but better with the Centro, saving power. I used to have to have my 700P set to not roam since going in and out of coverage would sometimes leave my phone in roaming and wasting power trying to get back to a home tower - even after I returned to a strong signal area.

Now I leave the Centro roaming and am finding I have signal more places, roaming causes no issue, and I have fewer lockups when it looks for a signal. I have had a couple of resets, but nothing like the 700P. I really had better luck with the 700P than many other users. After two weeks with the Centro, I picked up the 700P to move it and holy crap - don't know how I ever carried that brick!
    If I just hotsync (with BackupBuddy) will everything "just work" from my 700P. Any apps that won't? I heard that Butler may not.

If I thought I could just sync and be up and running, I'd do it.
    Palm Vx => M505 => M515 => T =>T3 =>T5 =>Treo 650 => Treo 700P (Verizon)
    Just hotsyncing like that is not at all recommended. I'd install your critical apps one by one, making sure to get the latest versions.

Butler does work on the Centro.
    just went for vzw 700p to vzw centro...very happy. BT is great. no resets, quick too. same applications installed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Just hotsyncing like that is not at all recommended. I'd install your critical apps one by one, making sure to get the latest versions.

Butler does work on the Centro.
    I'm in the same boat... going 700p to Centro. Is there a way to get the data from my third party apps moved over to the new phone, also?
    Another yes from 700P to centro. Was ready to go to Blackberry, but the Centro made me a believer in sticking with my aged POS (user since a Palm Pro). If they don't do something spectacular with the Nova or whatever the Linux version is going to be named, it'll be my last POS phone.

The centro is more stable and peppier than the 700p. I still think it's a touch heavy and thick compared to some of the competition, but it's definitely better than 700 & 755. I think I can count on one hand how many times I had to pop the battery off to do a hard reset, and I've had a Centro since the 2nd or 3rd week after its release.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by compudude View Post
    I'm in the same boat... going 700p to Centro. Is there a way to get the data from my third party apps moved over to the new phone, also?
    Data from which apps? You can hotsync calendar, contacts, etc., but in the conduit setup just turn off hotsyncing backed up apps themselves.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by compudude View Post
    Data from which apps? You can hotsync calendar, contacts, etc., but in the conduit setup just turn off hotsyncing backed up apps themselves.
    Also Beam, if the apps support it. I beamed almost all my data in my migration.
    Another 700p to Centro user here on Sprint. It's nice to use a well performing Palm OS phone again. (My last one was the Treo 600)

The only problem is I have the same phone as my wife now, and she is pissed!