1.    #1  
    Maybe this is a dumb question.

I don't have a Centro, but I was wondering if anyone knows or suspects what will happen with the Centro once Palm unveils its new operating system. Somehow I've gotten the impression that the existing Palm operating system will remain on Centro devices while Nova or whatever the next generation POS is called will be for Treo's. I certainly don't know for sure, though.

What do you think will happen (and why)?
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    No idea about new Centros, but I bet they don't upgrade mine.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Actually, I saw a roadmap chart not too long ago, that shows three basic Palm's once Nova is out:

The entry level consumer line will be POS on Centros.
    The mid level "prosumer" line will be the devices with the new Nova OS. Don't know what they will be called though.
    The high end, business class devices will be Treos with WinMo, such as the new 800w.
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    It's funny when companies label something "entry-level," "midlevel," etc. as if people are going to readily switch operating systems as one gets used to Palms.

Foe me, size matters the most. If the Centro had not come around, I would have defected a long time ago. Let's see what size the Nova devices will be.
    Well, to be totally fair, I don't know that Palm is using the terminology like that. It was just on the chart I had seen. It was someone's chart attempting to show the 3 major markets Palm is going to cover and target. Perhaps I could have left out entry level, and instead said consumer, prosumer, and business professional.

Besides my Treo 800w, I still own my Centro, and still think it is a great device. The only reason I changed was that the newer Treo does so much more, in a slightly larger body which does seem to make typing much easier for me. However, I did get used to the Centro's smaller keyboard and found it perfectly acceptable to use. The Centro is way better than the Treo 700p. Once I got my 800w, I gave my youngest brother my 700p, keeping the Centro as my backup device.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    it was the ceo/president guy from palm that explained the 3 product lines. so yes that's the plan.

I think nova is supposed to be able to run palm os apps. if so then palm os as entry level moving to 'prosumer' nova os makes a lot of sense.

treos with winmo aren't high end but rather 'enterprise' I think. which does mean expensive but mostly = plays well with MS systems like exchange.
    If i should make a guess...

If the new Nova Phone will not feature the 800w design, then i think we will see the Centro in the form factor of the 800w today.

If they choose to surprise us, then there will be a clamshell Centro..

Coz really, there is no where a Centro can upgrade to other than upgrade the hardware. Palm OS Garnett is it. There's not gonna be any advancement there.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I think your on to something there. I believe palm has the source and rights to garnet so they can tweak it to add gps or faster networks and the like. but basically it will be for whatever the low end hardware is of the time to keep prices down. clamshell or maybe touch screen only might be other form factors.

but it will be evolutionary changes instead of revolutionary.

revolutionary things would go to nova, and perhaps winmo treos. but enterprise doesn't need fancy- just stable and steady.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I think your on to something there. I believe palm has the source and rights to garnet so they can tweak it to add gps or faster networks and the like. but basically it will be for whatever the low end hardware is of the time to keep prices down. clamshell or maybe touch screen only might be other form factors.

but it will be evolutionary changes instead of revolutionary.

revolutionary things would go to nova, and perhaps winmo treos. but enterprise doesn't need fancy- just stable and steady.
    Not sure who you're talking to, but I have to wonder why Palm would give their new users (I hear that's what most Centro users are) a dead-end OS. Is that supposed to pull them in, then, in time, encourage them to upgrade to a Treo?

That's... that's... Well, that's... kinda smart? I dunno. I've heard worse ideas.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    its exactly what they plan to do- ed colligan (sp?) the ceo/president said exactly that publically.

as above I don't think the palm os is a dead end for users because the nova os will be able to mimic the current palm os. so they get folks hooked on palm os for 49 or 99 bucks then use that to get them to upgrade to a modern multie tasking, graphics and media friendly, and more powerfull os in a nova device.

also palms 'newest customers' with the treo want cheap entry level phones that frankly don't make palm enough money at their 99 dollar price point to stay real viable. also these new first time smartphone buyers aren't super savy about smartphones and their os' so they don't know that the palm os is basically the same os as 10 years ago but they tossed in color a few years back. garnet is beyond a dead end at this point- if you use another os for a while you see its prehistoric. (not to say it doesn't work great anyway- I used a wm6 device for around 6 months but came running back to a centro)

i'm sure they will patch garnet to work on newer faster networks, to do other form factors, maybe even one day they'll rehire the wifi folks and actually put that there. but its not going to ever multitask. and its not going to do super slick media like the newer os's will.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    here's the link to one of the several threads here about the new 3 tiered roadmap.

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...d.php?t=165349

(sorry its the mobile link as i'm on my cento now)
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    from that link:

Palm will continue to release devices based on the classic Palm OS, Colligan told APC. The Centro, a bright spot for Palm amid the troubles of the past year, will continue to use the classic Palm OS to help keep that phone at around $99. And Palm will also continue to pitch Windows Mobile Treos for business customers even after the release of the new operating system, he said. Nova will be used on something in between a Centro and a Treo, but the company has yet to decide on the naming convention for that new category

that thread links up to the original interview I believe where he used the words entry, prosumer, and enterprise.
    i'm sure they will patch garnet to work on newer faster networks, to do other form factors, maybe even one day they'll rehire the wifi folks and actually put that there. but its not going to ever multitask. and its not going to do super slick media like the newer os's will.
    I find your statement about media to be interesting. While I think it is likely that POS will never multitask, I'm pretty happy with the media capabilities of my Centro. What is there about POS that limits us when it comes to media capabilities?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I find your statement about media to be interesting. While I think it is likely that POS will never multitask, I'm pretty happy with the media capabilities of my Centro. What is there about POS that limits us when it comes to media capabilities?
    sorry didn't speak(type) well to explain myself

Itís not that the POS based phones donít do media- itís that media features like so many of the great features/apps of these phones that 3rd party developers have figured out how to get it done.

Itís not built in or bundled with the core OS.

I canít speak to apple, but out of the box with no additional helper apps, a wm6 phone will play video, stream audio or video, play music in the background, and use Bluetooth headsets. MP3 ringtones might be another example?

On Palm OS- you need to use ptunes, kinoma, softick audio gateway, and tcpmp to get all that. Luckily over the years palm bundles more and more of that into the phones at start- but itís not in the os or even made by palm, they just license those helper apps. (wouldnít be shocked at all if the next phone in the centro lineup has softick audio gateway along with kinoma and ptunes already installed)

-its actually almost a testament to the palm os and the developers for it that this 10 year old os is right up there with the current smartphone lineups. In some ways Palm OS phones are behind apple or WM but in other ways palm still is ahead. Itís pretty amazing really. You canít hands down say that plam os phones are in all ways inferior to these new OS.

If Palm, the company, can create a similar os in Nova, but with 10 years newer ideas and technology then the NOVA phones should rock.
  14.    #14  
    If Palm, the company, can create a similar os in Nova, but with 10 years newer ideas and technology then the NOVA phones should rock.
    That's what I'm hoping for.

I've little expectation, though, that Palm OS apps will work on the Nova device(s).

And, while I'm at it, if Palm doesn't include a headphone jack - even if it's a 2.5 mm - I may have to pass on the next Treo. I really don't want to have to do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    That's what I'm hoping for.

I've little expectation, though, that Palm OS apps will work on the Nova device(s).

And, while I'm at it, if Palm doesn't include a headphone jack - even if it's a 2.5 mm - I may have to pass on the next Treo. I really don't want to have to do that.
    Well, I have an iPod Touch so that is my main music device. However, I agree with you. In those few times I'll use my Treo 800w to listen to music, I'd much prefer having a separate 2.5mm or 3.5mm connector than the microUSB slot it now has. That's probably my only physical complaint with the device as it is.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackG058 View Post
    Well, I have an iPod Touch so that is my main music device. However, I agree with you. In those few times I'll use my Treo 800w to listen to music, I'd much prefer having a separate 2.5mm or 3.5mm connector than the microUSB slot it now has. That's probably my only physical complaint with the device as it is.
    Understandable.

I imagine that future Centro's & Treo's will have the miniUSB interface. Which would be ok, I guess, if it weren't a substitute for a true headphone jack.

I own an old iPod, but I don't want to carry around so many devices. I'd rather bring my Treo along and stream podcasts and whatnot through it... which, I sometimes want to listen to with headphones or using my FM transmitter (which has the "male" headphone piece).
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I think I read someplace that nova would be able to use palmos apps. (disclaimer: BUT that might be ALP that I’m thinking of- not positive)

Also- I’m not too disturbed about headphone jacks- I’m hoping (if they keep ditching headphone jacks) that the mini usb headphones wind up being a standard. It seems a few devices already do that. So My fingers are crossed there.
    I think I read someplace that nova would be able to use palmos apps. (disclaimer: BUT that might be ALP that Iím thinking of- not positive)

Also- Iím not too disturbed about headphone jacks- Iím hoping (if they keep ditching headphone jacks) that the mini usb headphones wind up being a standard. It seems a few devices already do that. So My fingers are crossed there.
    Remember though, we're talking micro, not mini, with the 800w. And as I understand it, other vendors are starting to go to the micro connector. I believe I read Nokia is one of them, and since they are so huge that would definitely help to create a standard.