1.    #1  
    Over at PalmInfocenter.com there's a story about a fix from Palm to take care of the hotsync timeout problem that people have encountered with stuff like avantgo. The fix is here at Palm's website.

It's for the English desktop only, and palm says on the website it's only for the m500 series. Installed it on my system for my platinum, and so far after a couple of syncs, I haven't experienced any timeouts like I used to.

More later as I keep using it.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
  2.    #2  
    well, i'm pleased to report that after 2 days and about a dozen syncs, i still haven't experienced any timeouts or other problems with the new hotsync patch. yay!

so far so good
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    So you're running a vpl with avantgo on palm desktop 4 with no problems after installing this patch? The patch is for the pc rather than the visor isn't it? Does palm desktop 4.0.1 include this patch?
    This is great if it really does work cos i've been watching everybody else with thier palms running 4 and i've been stuck wit 3.1. I just want to make sure it works before i download 10mb!
    Thanks
    Alan Millar
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by almillar
    So you're running a vpl with avantgo on palm desktop 4 with no problems after installing this patch? The patch is for the pc rather than the visor isn't it? Does palm desktop 4.0.1 include this patch?
    This is great if it really does work cos i've been watching everybody else with thier palms running 4 and i've been stuck wit 3.1. I just want to make sure it works before i download 10mb!
    Thanks
    The patch upgrades the Desktop 4.0.1 Hotsync Manager from v4.0 to v4.0.1. Nothing is done on the handheld side.