Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My 6 month old Treo 755p died this week. I thought about it for a couple of days and decided that I can't justify replacing it with another Treo. I'm tired of the butcher job Verizon did on the operating system (not that it was great to begin with), the tiny keyboard, the lag, and the continuing disaster that we all know as the Palm corporation. Tomorrow I'm getting a smartphone running (gag) Windows Mobile.

I sincerely hope that Palm can recover and bring out a compelling alternative that actually works. I'll jump back in a microsecond. But for now, the only Palm I'll be using will be my Tungsten C.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cork View Post
    My 6 month old Treo 755p died this week. I thought about it for a couple of days and decided that I can't justify replacing it with another Treo. I'm tired of the butcher job Verizon did on the operating system (not that it was great to begin with), the tiny keyboard, the lag, and the continuing disaster that we all know as the Palm corporation. Tomorrow I'm getting a smartphone running (gag) Windows Mobile.

I sincerely hope that Palm can recover and bring out a compelling alternative that actually works. I'll jump back in a microsecond. But for now, the only Palm I'll be using will be my Tungsten C.
    So you`ve put a "cork" in it then. I hear you and can`t blame you.
    Sure does seem like Palm is managing to burn more customers than practically any other manufacturer...
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cork View Post

my 700p just died today and got a new 755p as a TEP replacement. See you in 6 months.
  5. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I'll probably be right behind you once (if?) Verizon ever gets the 800W. The 755 I got as a warranty replacement for my 700P has defeated all my attempts to make it stable and free of extended lags.. It works well for a week or two after a hard reset and reinstall from scratch, then the problems always return. I may try a Centro as well, but I haven't liked the keyboard in limited use.
    The keyboard on the Centro took about a day or so for me to get use to with heavy usage and overall it is an excellent device. I got the extended battery and with heavy usage of HanDBase, DTG and ChatterEmail, I got a bit over 6 hours of use before it hit 40%. I have the 800 and it also has its own issues, as does the Mogul, et cetera.
    I don't know if there is a difference between the Verizon and Sprint 755p's but I (along with 3 other co-workers) have the Sprint 755p and have had zero problems with reliability. I have had the phone for just about one year. And my co-workers bought them only a few months after I did.

I have caused some issues by messing with the rom and some third party apps, but a hard reset and sync later it was all back to normal. Out of the box the phone hasn't had any issues.

Is there something verizon did to the programming? I know they tend to limit their (non-smartphone) phones capabilities but I wasn't sure if it was the same for their smartphones

Palm IIIc - Palm m515 -Palm Tungsten E2 - Palm Treo 755p
    Well, my Sprint 755p is rock solid. The only time it falters is when I do something stupid, or loading software that is for really old Palm OS. Other than that, its the best phone I have ever had - its not perfect and there are somethings that I wish it had - but NO phone is perfect!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Well, my 755p is the worst phone I've ever had. Constantly freezes, often refuses to let me place a call, inexplicably turns itself off, lags on the white screen...you name it. Thank god for phone insurance, I've had them replace my Palm about 7 times.

I'm done. I'm so sick of Sprint and Palm. They really screwed the pooch. My iphone is on its way and I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to Sprint and their crappy customer service.
    Wow!, I've always heard of Sprints bad customer service - I've been with Sprint before they were called Sprint (I think they became Sprint in 1998? - I've been with whoever before since 1993? - it was like $1.25 per minute for phone calls back then). Anyways, I'd say that I'd rate their customer service a 9 out of 10.

Now Palm is another story, I'd rate them 5 out of 10, but I have a lot of investment in software that I just don't want to give up just yet and I have been able to make my phone and software work together nicely without there help, so I'm happy so far. I'm trying to hang in there for the new Palm OS, and if worse comes to worse maybe go to WinMo.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

My 755p works just fine.

I don't expect mass-produced electronics to be perfect. And truly feel the folks who have shared their bad experiences. But I realistically don't think that Palm has exclusive domain over making faulty electronic devices.

I think that most people have evolved and want more out of a computer phone. Palm just hasn't caught up to folks' wants. But on the other hand, I think that their devices take great care of their needs. And even leave room for customization that allows for more creativity.

Anywho, I'm off the soapbox. Simple as Palm, my treo 755p works. And when it doesn't (like my Acer Laptop and Home computer) I make that *blank* work. hehe
    Palm 105--->Samsung i-300--->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 300 (still has the best keyboard)-->Treo 755p-->Palm PRE-->Treo 680(unlocked by me)--->iPhone 3G---->iPhone 4---->Hp Pre3
    I am very satisfied with both my 755 and Sprint - and I have had a Windows Mobile device, won't go there again soon.I truly believe that nothing in this life is perfect, particularly massed produced items being constantly customized by humans, too many areas to get screwed up. But over all, I have had a high degree of reliability from my 755 and when I haven't - well I have a brain and I have figured out how to fix it.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    One of the best/coolest apps I have on my 755p is RDM+ - I keep tabs on 3 of my computers by remote control!

And when I think back many years ago, cells phone of yesterday could only make phone calls - who would have thunk!
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

I agree with you. With the 800W I have multi-tasking and that is the ONLY thing I have that does not exist with the POS. From my stand point, every POS application I used is far better than the Win counter part. Faster, easier to use with less steps, et cetera. If Palm supported multi-tasking, I would be back in a heart beat. Multi-tasking comes in handy for me because there are multiple times throughout the day when I (POS days) used HanDBase, ChatterEmail and Excel at the same time and moving back/forth was a pain. HanDBase POS is better than its WM release; ChatterEmail - well FlexMail (Win) does fine, but holds no candle to ChatterEmail; DTG far exceeds the Word/Excel functionality offered by Win and DTG does not have a release for WM professional (touch screen).

So yes, I do miss my Centro. I miss its size (smaller), its battery life (even though I did have the extended battery on it and I am getting 5-6 hours on my 800W) and its ease of use. Palm OS just works.

Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    I am very satisfied with both my 755 and Sprint - and I have had a Windows Mobile device, won't go there again soon.I truly believe that nothing in this life is perfect, particularly massed produced items being constantly customized by humans, too many areas to get screwed up. But over all, I have had a high degree of reliability from my 755 and when I haven't - well I have a brain and I have figured out how to fix it.
    Palm needs better Java support. The JVM implementation is a joke.

Less reliance on first party apps for important things like browsers. How many 3rd party browsers do you see for Palm (considering OM has tons of problems due to the first mentioned problem)?

Less outdated hardware like no a2dp out of the box and no usb 2.0.

NVRAM is a bad file system. I'm not going to argue this, it's been pointed out in detail many times by many people.

Other than that the apps are pretty good. But Palm makes some really poor decisions...

Oh yeah, and completely abandoning a lot of your customers update/support wise because you claim their device is less important than very similar devices that wouldn't require that much work to port updates to... This problem will actually cost you customers permanently.
    Last edited by papped; 08/13/2008 at 02:03 PM.
    Not sure that I have much to add to the discussion, but the talk about Sprint and Palm's customer service hits kind of close to home.

When I bought my Treo 650, Sprint customer service had no clue about the device. I'd have to go through too many csr levels to get half-way decent service (since the lower levels would INSIST that they could and would help me). I don't remember calling Palm around that time.

That's just about the phone. The service plans have caused me to wasted far too many hours on-hold, then on the phone with people with little information and often with little understanding of the English language.

And, of course, only certain Sprint stores offered technical assistance/repair and there was a wicked line at almost all times.

When we bought our 755p's, Sprint and Palm played ping-pong with me - each telling me to call the other - neither helping very much at all. When Palm developed their website which was supposed to offer help (MyPalm?) and whatever else, I thought there was light at the end of the tunnel... but the tunnel got even longer. Eventually, that seems to have died, as well.

Too often, Sprint doesn't know their own product.
    Too often, Palm doesn't seem to care about their product (or users of that product).

I've reached a point where I can navigate my Treo issues fairly well, but most new-comers would've given up on both companies, had they had my experiences.

At least I can say Sprint has helped here and there. Palm has never helped me directly.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
  17. EWT
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I think my luck with Palm OS devices just finally ran out. I rarely had problems with my 600, 650 and even my 700P. Getting Exchange to work with the 700 was a pain, but once it was setup, it worked. With the same apps I ran on the 700, my 755 just isn't a reliable, stable device. Something is always crashing or not working right. I love Palm OS, and the 755 is my favorite package to date, but I spend way too much time getting the phone to work to keep using it much longer.

I hard reset and reinstalled everything again last night after Versamail stopped syncing the calendar and contact with the Exchange server. I installed the 1.08 update as well to see if that makes any difference. So far so good, but it always works well for a couple of weeks after a reset/ clean install. I made a Resco backup of things right after everything was reinstalled, so hopefully I can just use that the next time things stop working again.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitido357 View Post
    My 755p works just fine.

I don't expect mass-produced electronics to be perfect. And truly feel the folks who have shared their bad experiences. But I realistically don't think that Palm has exclusive domain over making faulty electronic devices.

I think that most people have evolved and want more out of a computer phone. Palm just hasn't caught up to folks' wants. But on the other hand, I think that their devices take great care of their needs. And even leave room for customization that allows for more creativity.

Anywho, I'm off the soapbox. Simple as Palm, my treo 755p works. And when it doesn't (like my Acer Laptop and Home computer) I make that *blank* work. hehe
    I think you hit the nail on the head - it is a "computer phone" and computers crash and break and there too many different variables like 3rd party software good and bad that in different combinations and very old software that is trying to be used with the current OS can cause bad results.

I mean put some old crappy DOS program from computers of yesteryear like some memory resident program and try to make it work with XP or Vista, and when the program doesn't work lets blame it on the computer manufacture or the reseller that sold the software that may be out of business or never got out of beta. In the end, it mostly is user error or isn't techie enough to fix it.

How many friends do you know that have computers that work wonderfully and can do almost anything and how many do you know where just the opposite is true.

Bottom line, it is a low powered computer phone that people think should be able to do everything that a normal home computer can do and do as well - that would be nice, but we will have to wait a little while longer for that.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

19. UserOne
    Well said, Glider.

I do not have too much to add to this thread as many have already echoed my opinions. So, I will simply add my .02 cents that my Sprint 755p has been a great phone with very little stability issues. I have crashed it a few times, but every time has been due to third-party apps and/or user error (DoH! ) .

I agree that Palm isn't perfect, but it fits my needs better than anything else I have found.
    Quote Originally Posted by trishb View Post
    Well, my 755p is the worst phone I've ever had. Constantly freezes, often refuses to let me place a call, inexplicably turns itself off, lags on the white screen...you name it. Thank god for phone insurance, I've had them replace my Palm about 7 times.

I'm done. I'm so sick of Sprint and Palm. They really screwed the pooch. My iphone is on its way and I'm looking forward to saying goodbye to Sprint and their crappy customer service.
    I feel you. I wanted so hard to blame Sprint but Palm has just as much to do with my 755 doing everything you named and more. No iPhone in my future though. I'm locked into my Sprint contract for another year so i gonig for the Instinct
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast