1.    #1  
    How accurate is the My Location funtion on the Centro rated for? I have tried it and never gotten it to show anywhere closer than 1000 feet. My iPhone 3g gets it down to within a few feet, and it is using Google Maps as well. I'm just curious if the number of towers that the phone has access to matters, or any other limiting factors.

Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    In my experience, it varies. I don't think it has a particular accuracy rating or anything. I think I've seen error circles as large as 1800 meters and as small as about 300 meters. Remember that My Location is not GPS. It uses another method to approximate your location, which I think is based on the signal(s) it gets from the cell tower(s) you're near and/or connected to. I think if you have GPS, it will use it, but since GPS isn't built-in to the Centro, it should default to making guesses at your position. Sometimes I can sit in exactly the same place and get different positions when I locate multiple times. There must be some factors affecting its accuracy, but I'm not sure exactly what they are, and I'm not sure we could control them even if we did know. I hope this helps, but perhaps others can supply more information.
  3.    #3  
    I was more curious about the accuracy than anything. I know it uses cell tower technology, the same technology as the iPhone does. What surprised me is how accurate the iPhone is compared to the Centro. With the iPhone it is so tight it can track me when I walk around my neighborhood. Maybe something to do with Sprint vs. ATT towers?
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    I was more curious about the accuracy than anything. I know it uses cell tower technology, the same technology as the iPhone does. What surprised me is how accurate the iPhone is compared to the Centro. With the iPhone it is so tight it can track me when I walk around my neighborhood. Maybe something to do with Sprint vs. ATT towers?
    no the iphone 3g has A-GPS, the centro only uses tower information and based on that google maps gives you a rough estimate of where you are. it doesnt have anything to do with what carrier you may have
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by pantoja09 View Post
    no the iphone 3g has A-GPS, the centro only uses tower information and based on that google maps gives you a rough estimate of where you are. it doesnt have anything to do with what carrier you may have
    The iPhone uses A-GPS, and also uses WiFi and towers to pinpoint your location. This is from the Apple site:

How it works.
    GPS (Global Positioning System) technology uses information from earth-orbiting satellites to find locations. A receiver estimates the distance to GPS satellites based on the time it takes for signals to reach it, then uses that information to identify its location. But the A-GPS (Assisted GPS) solution on iPhone 3G goes a step further, using a unique approach to find the closest satellites and more quickly identify your position. That gives you a faster fix on your location than with regular GPS.

Get the signal.
    In addition to A-GPS, iPhone 3G uses signals from GPS satellites, Wi-Fi hot spots, and cellular towers to get the most accurate location fast. If GPS is available, iPhone displays a blue GPS indicator. But if you’re inside — without a clear line of sight to a GPS satellite — iPhone finds you via Wi-Fi. If you’re not in range of a Wi-Fi hot spot, iPhone finds you using cellular towers. And the size of a location circle tells you how accurately iPhone is able to calculate that location: The smaller the circle, the more accurate the location.

Not at all surprising. It is not the same technology. Centro makes no reference to satellites. The iPhone only uses towers etc to speed up the satellite lock process. If you want to compare the iPhone with a Treo the only valid comparison is with the 800w.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    The iPhone uses A-GPS
    That would explain the difference then, wouldn't it? I don't think the Centro has A-GPS or GPS, so it wouldn't be as accurate as a device that does.
    Here in Paradise (Leeward Coast of Oahu), I have spent some time WWD'ing (watching while driving) and find it accurate to within 50 feet. It shows the drainage ditches, lil creeks, the schools, et cetera.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    When at home, I get a huge circle several blocks to the south and/or east of me. I'm nowhere in that circle. When at work it guesses within feet - I'm practically at the center dot.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    In my home town it puts me within somthing like a mile of where I live, BUT if I use my bluetooth GPS receiver and the "Were am I" software it puts me right on exactly where I am at the time, this is the difference of using towers and GPS satellites.
    Also the Google Maps program that the Iphone uses and the one available for the Centro are not the same, the one the Centro uses will not pick up a GPS signal.
    Terry