1.    #1  
    How the hell do I turn it off?

It keeps coming up and telling me to say a command when I have the headphones plugged in and am listening to music.
  2.    #2  
    Anyone?!?!?!?!?
    try uninstalling whatever voice dial program you have installed
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Campo View Post
    How the hell do I turn it off?

It keeps coming up and telling me to say a command when I have the headphones plugged in and am listening to music.
    (Caveat: I am a rookie Centro owner.)

This is the symptom on the Centro of the infamous headphone jack problem, which has reportedly been there since the Treo 600. My first Centro had this problem, and it soon (after three days of Centro ownership) got to the point where just touching the tip of a headphone plug to the jack caused the VoiceDial command to initiate. Even when I changed the Prefs Buttons so that none would turn on VoiceDial.

Verizon Wireless phone tech support, and also in-person tech support, agreed that the phone needed replacement.

In the Palm forums, a Palm tech responded with some bit of understanding for my problem, when I said that I was fearful that this second jack was going (I've had VoiceDial activated twice on the new phone), and told me what headset he found that worked with his 700wx.

I now am very gentle when inserting and removing any headset plug. I also occasionally put some WD-40 on the headset plugs, to help lubricate them--it seems to help as I haven't had the VoiceDial symptom since then. When the jack eventually goes bad, my plan is to get it fixed (I think the fix is to re-solder the headset jack), because I otherwise love the Centro. I'd like to find an experienced local Palm tech and drop it off to them. I've already tried to find such a person, but came up empty. My backup plan is to get it fixed by Chris Short, a PDA/Treo repairman that once fixed my Sony Clie TH55, and has a great rep. He has a store on eBay as seller Itsnotthere.

If you look at his items for sale, and look at any of the "Service" ones, there will be text that talks of common Treo problems, and it lists this: "No sound, ear phone jack not working correctly, loss of one side of conversation."

Here's two threads here on Treo Central: Headphone issue, and Has anyone had trouble with their headset jack?
    Last edited by jj2me; 08/13/2008 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added links to other threads