Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I have VZW. I have a text/pix message plan. I do not have a data plan. As well, I have removed - where possible - or 'obfuscated' (hidden) all web related apps like 'web', 'mail', 'wireless sync', 'blazer', etc so that they could never be accidentally opened. Nor have any of them ever been configured to even connect to the web or mail or whatever.

So, in the last few months I have been noticing random KB data charges in the range of .13, .25, .50 KB here and there - and they are clearly not related to a picture or text message. Some months a few, some months none. On Monday, I noticed when I logged on to check my bill, there were 4 short random data charges for Sunday night - and I never once used the phone in that time range. Verizon always waves them as it is clear I am not doing any sort of true data connection as those used KB's are random and too short to doing anything productive, and I am not logging on and using data for 5 seconds and logging right back off. They can't figure it out, and neither can I.

First, anyone else have this issue?

Second, there is a great app for Macs called Little Snitch.. it alerts you to when an sneaky application is trying to dial out from your computer and 'phone home' or make a connection in the background without you knowing - maybe to pass on some user data statistics without you knowing. You can then see what it is and allow it or not. Anyone seen something like this for the Palm?
    I would say, check the MyCentro app if you phone has one. When you press the menu key there should be an option for updates. I believe its default is to do the updates and mine always seem to happen on Sunday's (I know this because I turn my phone off at night and MyCentro doesn't automatically turn on the phone when it tries to do the update so I always have a message box asking if I want to connect.)
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    I would say, check the MyCentro app if you phone has one. When you press the menu key there should be an option for updates. I believe its default is to do the updates and mine always seem to happen on Sunday's (I know this because I turn my phone off at night and MyCentro doesn't automatically turn on the phone when it tries to do the update so I always have a message box asking if I want to connect.)
    That's a great tip deibelsan. I've never heard that before so I checked mine to see if it was set for auto update. It is, which I don't care since I have unlimited data, but that's good to know.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    never heard this either.. I have NEVER used - or even opened that app. So, I decided to shut the phone off, so it could not make a connection or would at least alert me to an attempt with that "the phone needs to connect to the internet to carry out this function" screen and check that connection. sure enough "auto-update" was set to "on". I set it to off and turned phone back on.

thanks.. great tip!! Now we will see if it is the issue.
    Also, if you go into Preferences in the application launcher and select Network. Once that screen popus, go into the menu bar and choose Preferences. In there check the box that says "Ask before connecting to the Internet."

This is on my Sprint version, may not be on Verizon.
    Hear more talk about my Centro and other industry news, go to thecellphonejunkie.com for a great weekly cell & smartphone podcast.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    yes, I knew that and have always had that checked and that is why I would get the screen I mentioned above if I accidently did something that would require a data type connection.

that is what made/makes this issue so vexing is that is happening behinds the scenes despite having that setting checked. If I were a betting man, I say deibelsan nailed it.
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Perhaps it is the MyCentro automatic updating and turning that off will solve the problem. If it doesn't, another possibility is that the phone is trying to automatically set the date and time from the network. I used to see my phone turn on by itself quite often, but after I told it not to automatically get the date/time, it seems to have stopped doing that. I have an unlimited data plan, so I don't worry about that, but it did seem to be draining my battery more than necessary. If you still see minor data charges, you might try turning off the automatic date/time setting.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    that will be my next test. but I want to do 1 at a time and will start with the MyCentro test first. if that does not work, I will move the the date/time setting.

on a side note, I always assumed that the date/time network setting was nothing special to accomplish or acquire as it just piggy backed the signal when it checked for voice mails or text messages, etc. nothing that would use network data usage to gather. for example, checking for voice mails when the phone is turned on or for text messages does not use 'data' usage in KB.. so why would checking for correct date/time?
    Also, just a FYI, I know you didn't get a data plan, but if you receive or send a MMS, that also uses data....
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    for example, checking for voice mails when the phone is turned on or for text messages does not use 'data' usage in KB.. so why would checking for correct date/time?
    I don't know if setting the date/time from the network is considered data usage. Maybe it's not. Since I have an unlimited data plan, I don't have a real reason to keep track of exactly what is considered data usage and what isn't. I was just offering this as a possible solution in case setting the time from the network is considered data usage. And you're right that changing one thing at a time will help you narrow down the problem more definitively. Good luck with it.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Also, just a FYI, I know you didn't get a data plan, but if you receive or send a MMS, that also uses data....
    BUT that data is part of the pix and text message package so it is not counted as stand alone KB usage.

my issue is the showing of additional stand alone KB usage outside of pix and text messages which use KB, but are not billed by KB but rather by number of messages. as well, my issue is KB usage at times when the phone is not in use or does not correlate with the sending or receiving of a text message with a pix or vid
    Deactivate MyCentro and also if you have Palm Software program, remove it as well.
    any new on whether that fixed the problem yet etard?
    I, too got the centro without the data plan, so now I'm concerned
    Palm Centro (VZW)
    W/ 1GB SDHC
    I don't think the date/time update would use data. Dumb phones get the date/time from the network and not every person with a dumb phone would get a data plan and would notice a data charge. In fact, before we switched my wife to the Centro, she had a dumb phone with no data plan and we did not get charged (Sprint) for data on her phone ever.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    I don't think the date/time update would use data. Dumb phones get the date/time from the network and not every person with a dumb phone would get a data plan and would notice a data charge. In fact, before we switched my wife to the Centro, she had a dumb phone with no data plan and we did not get charged (Sprint) for data on her phone ever.
    agreed.

as I said, I think it is that MyCentro.

My last rouge KB data usage, as seen under my account at vzw.com, still just shows those 4 randoms from 8.3.08 Sunday. nothing since then. not saying I expected any since then, but as 1 person speculated here that it happens more on a Sunday, I will check next Monday and see and check after that and report back what I notice.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Deactivate MyCentro and also if you have Palm Software program, remove it as well.
    what is "Palm Software program"???

plus, for MyCentro I do not think you can remove this, it is in ROM. FileZ does not even show it.
    I've noticed my wife's Sprint Centro turning on at 4:45 a.m., even after turning the radio off before going to bed. The first time I freaked out because it was frozen -- no reaction to buttons at all. It turned off after about 15 minutes. Now I don't worry about it (she has a data plan), but I'll check MyCentro anyway.
    I don't understand why anyone would get a phone like the Centro and then refuse to get a data plan. That's like buying a Ferrari without an engine. Sure it looks pretty but what's the point?

No offense, but it's a waste to have a phone like the Centro without a data plan.
    Humm. I didnt even realize that My Centro could be updated. I did mine and it downloaded some things to my phone. I dont see any changes to my phone. Does anyone have any idea what it does?
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWalsh623 View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would get a phone like the Centro and then refuse to get a data plan. That's like buying a Ferrari without an engine. Sure it looks pretty but what's the point?

No offense, but it's a waste to have a phone like the Centro without a data plan.
    I personally could not do without a data plan, but some don't need or want to pay for it. These users are typically longtime palm owners and they enjoy having to carry only one device that is both palm and phone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast