1.    #1  
    I purchased a Sprint Centro off of Craigslist, and it supposedly had a "clean" ESN. I have since found that to be not true. Now, before everyone takes me to task, yes I know it was dumb thing to do not verifying it before time, and I'll have to live with that. But I have the name, address, etc. of the seller, and he'll make it good or give me my money back. So that isn't my question.

What I am wondering about is when I tried to activate my phone, customer service told me that the ESN number was reported stolen 8 months ago. They could give me no information other than refering me to Asurion the insurance company. I contacted them, and they were absolutely no help. What I wanted was to find out who reported the phone stolen, and return it to them. I took the phone to a local Sprint store, who verified that it was reported stolen, and they told me what store it was sold in (a local one). But again they wouldn't give me any contact information. Their attitude was tough luck, not only for me, but for the original owner. I would think that they would be a little interested in helping a customer getting something back that was taken from them.

Does anyone know who or where in Sprint's organization that I can talk to about this? You would think they cared a little more about their customers. I am most likely out what I paid for the phone, but I would like to be able to return the phone. If the seller doesn't come across, I told them I would turn it over to the local police. Who knows what will happen with that? But this just reinforces check before you buy.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
    If the company told you to contact Asurion that means that the original owner replaced the phone using the insurance and they wouldn't need the phone back, much less, be able to use the phone even if they got it back. Once a phone's ESN is listed as lost or stolen it won't be able to be used again. I'd be more interested in reporting the person who sold it to you to the police. Finding the original owner as said, won't do him (or her) any good but it might stop the seller from dealing in hot merchandise.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  3.    #3  
    I did contact the police and will be filing a report tomorrow. Interesting sidepoint, the person I purchased it from claims he got it from a "friend" who works in the mobile communications department of one of the Big Box electronics stores, the one that sells Sprint phones. My guess is that they are taking the phones in as returns, and then reselling them (if the cell company doesn't want them back). I have talked to his "friend" and he claims ignorance, etc, etc. But I have his name and the store where he works. I think I'll have a talk with the store manager after I report it to the police.

I realize I made a mistake in not checking the number, but now I want to keep these from doing it to someone else.
    Phones: Sprint Blackberry Bold 9650, Sprint Blackberry Tour 9630, Nextel Blackberry 8350i Curve (Everything Plus Family Data 1600)

"When I die bury me deep, put two speakers at my feet, a pair of ear phones on my head, and always play The Grateful Dead."
  4.    #4  
    Just a follow up, I did get my money back from the buyer. It has restored my faith in Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Just a follow up, I did get my money back from the buyer. It has restored my faith in Craigslist.
    Did you mention to him that you filed a police report?
  6.    #6  
    After I got the money, yes. It turns out that it was his "friends" information that was on the phone, and didn't seem to be too concerned. And the reception I got from the police was "you dum*sh*t", and they were going to file the report. I did let them know I got my money back, so who knows what they'll do with it. Will also be keeping an eye out on Craigslist to see if they relist this one.

OK, I'm green in this area. I need some definitons: What is ESN? I see a Part Number, IMEI Number and another number that begins with S under the battery, is this what you're referring to?

Realizing hindsight is 20/20 is this something for which you could have asked the seller for before hand and checked yourself before purchase?

I have never purchased a phone outside of a retail store before, but there is always a possibility I would recommend the practice or do i at some point, but this is a good lesson on buyer beware.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by akaivyleaf View Post
    OK, I'm green in this area. I need some definitons: What is ESN? I see a Part Number, IMEI Number and another number that begins with S under the battery, is this what you're referring to?

Realizing hindsight is 20/20 is this something for which you could have asked the seller for before hand and checked yourself before purchase?

I have never purchased a phone outside of a retail store before, but there is always a possibility I would recommend the practice or do i at some point, but this is a good lesson on buyer beware.
    The ESN is the electronic ID. It is on the phone, and on the side of the box, in both decimal and hexidecimal format. It is a looong number, no alpha characters in it.

What I should have done is one of two things: 1) I could have asked the seller for the number before meeting him, and checking it out with Sprint before even meeting him, or 2) I could have insisted we meet at a Sprint store to activate. Since I have SERO plan, I couldn't activate it in store, that is why I didn't go that route. The phone was in nice shape, didn't appear abused, had the box and all the materials, so it seemed okay. Again, I should have done more but I didn't. I am just thankful that I was able to get my money back. It seems the guy I got it from was stiffed by the person he got the phone from.

I did break down and got one from the Sprint store. It was more than I wanted to pay, but it's better than taking the chance of getting shafted again. It was my responsibility to check it out more than I did, so I'm taking the full blame on it. Somehow the term "caveat emptor" keeps popping in my mind right now.

Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivhs72 View Post
    Since I have SERO plan, I couldn't activate it in store, that is why I didn't go that route.
    Why can't you activate in store? I had a phone purchased through the website on a SERO plan that I swapped in store and they did the ESN swap right there. No problems at all.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I believe

esn= electronic serial number

its like a social security number or a MAC id for the phone- no 2 are alike.

its how your phone gets identified to the network (at least for cdma)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    Why can't you activate in store? I had a phone purchased through the website on a SERO plan that I swapped in store and they did the ESN swap right there. No problems at all.
    I have tried it in the past, and was told that anything to do with the SERO plans and any changes/upgrades had to be handled over the phone. I had a defective phone one time, and the store refused to do anything with it because it was on the SERO plan. I had to send it in after they sent me a new one.

12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by efudd View Post
    I believe

esn= electronic serial number

its like a social security number or a MAC id for the phone- no 2 are alike.

its how your phone gets identified to the network (at least for cdma)
    And once it is assigned, it can never be changed.