Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm wondering where we go from here...? I know this has been discussed before but I'm curious if any new word is out.

I'm frustrated that nothing new has been released with (a) wifi and (b) multitasking (c) GSM unlocked. I'm actually otherwise satisfied with the 680, but these are important features that should've been there already. Pretty much come to terms with the battery issues. I'm still wondering how the 680 could be released without wi-fi.

I've seen the new Sprint/Verizon Palm OS and am horrified at the fact that it has a mini Sd card slot. I guess I should just throw away the 32gb Card I just bought! Palm's utter disregard for compatibility of accessories is simply infuriating--the senseless act of a company that is not surprisingly ..not doing so well. I would not buy this thing for that reason alone, but I also need GSM. Typical of Palm to release an upgrade path that makes things worse and is LESS compatible.

is there a chance Palm might actually get this all up to speed? I'd really rather not, but if I have to buy all new accessories and new software and contemplate a non-GSM phone, at that point I think I'd be moving in a new direction.
    While it has been a long time coming Palm should have the new OS out sometime in early 2009. Honestly, I would hold onto your 680 until the 2nd version of this new OS is out and do your research/buying then. First generations of all software and hardware have glitches that will drive you up a wall, going with the second or third generation will provide you with a solid option without the headache.

If you really have to have those features now then you will probably have to look elsewhere.

Im picking up a 680 at the end of the month. I plan on using it for the next 2-3 years; at which time Palm's new OS will be out, revised a couple of times and hopefully offer a solid solution to WM with things like wifi, a mega-pixel camera, and multi-tasking. I would also be amazed if it didnt come in an unlocked form by then as well.

The features you want will come, its just that Palm saw no point putting the work into incorporating them into their current OS when they know people will jump at purchasing new phones when the new OS comes out having these features in them.

Palm blew everyone away with their original OS, it is hard for me to think that they will do anything less with their next one, especially considering they know people will be quick to jump ship to other devices/OSs if they are disappointed after waiting for so long. While many have criticized them for waiting so long to start this project I think it may help them in the long run. They not have a chance to see where WM has been and is going (since WM is releasing a new version) as well as viewing the iPhones details. I would imagine Palm will cut the fluff, add the features that have been hits with these other OSs, add some of the Palm flare with an easy UI and bingo...

... at least I hope thats what happens.
    At this point (680 and phone upgrade ready contract) I would take a refreshed Treo 680. Centro snappiness, 2mp camera, same real SD, serious attention to the OS lag issues, Micro USB, and 3.5mm audio (I know that's to much to ask for ), refreshed SW, and the larger 755 battery. Jazz up the color /style and let it run at $199.

A lot of biz types like myself would bite for the next year until the Nova vaporware monster devours Palm utterly.
    Patrick Horne
    STILL LOVE MY 680!

I'm waiting for the next PalmOS, then if it's not to par with others ... will be buying the BlackBerry "Thunder"

All I ask is from my 680, is for Garmin to update their software to allow smooth and lag free speed while using a 3rd Party GPS Reciever (Holux m1000)

My 680 is blazing fast with no lagg at all, just have to soft reset (with an app like Launcher X) once every 4hrs! Trust me on this, I swear.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    My 680 is blazing fast with no lagg at all, just have to soft reset (with an app like Launcher X) once every 4hrs! Trust me on this, I swear.
    I use Launcher x...never have to reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Squires View Post
    I use Launcher x...never have to reset.
    I know you don't have to reset, but give it a try and see how fast and smooth everything gets.
  7.    #7  
    I reset on occasion when I have trouble hot sync'ing. There is no difference that I see before/after re: Treo performance. In fact, a hot sync itself will often take care of occasional issues.
    Uhmmm, maybe a DBcache cleaning tool like Flu**** can have the same result

EDIT: I mean Flush-it!
    http://miska.borec.cz/
    Last edited by oronzous; 08/04/2008 at 04:07 PM.
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    i love my 680, the camera isn't outstanding and the specs aren't all "there" but the thing works day in and day out. all i hear is people complaining about their iphones and blackberry's all the time, or windows mobile HTC devices.

I just want a 1.3mp camera mainly. the SDHC card slot is enough expansion for me and my apps, EDGE is fine because thats all I get on T-Mobile USA anyway and for checking myspace and facebook and cnn is all I need, its actually pretty speedy. Chatter does my push email, I have AIM issues though, doesn't wanna work every since Verichat went down the tubes when I had my t650, sad.

I love the 680's design though, my mom just got one and says its the best cell phone she's ever had. its just a good size for everyday fail-safe use.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    I've seen the new Sprint/Verizon Palm OS and am horrified at the fact that it has a mini Sd card slot. I guess I should just throw away the 32gb Card I just bought! Palm's utter disregard for compatibility of accessories is simply infuriating--the senseless act of a company that is not surprisingly ..not doing so well. I would not buy this thing for that reason alone, but I also need GSM. Typical of Palm to release an upgrade path that makes things worse and is LESS compatible.
    To be fair, you really can't blame Palm for moving away from SD format. All of Palm's newest devices support microSD only as well as micro-usb on the Treo 800w. I believe all future Palm devices from now on will support both these features from now on and IMO thats a pretty good idea. In fact Palm should be applauded for adopting these new standard quickly. Just like many complained when CF cards or springboard modules were phased out, so will users who have invested in SD cards. To make devices smaller and more efficient Palm had to move on to microSD which has a much smaller circuit footprint than SD...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11.    #11  
    SDHC is the current standard---not minis. Anyone with mini-cards can use an adapter. The reverse is not true.

The comparison to CF is not apt. CF next to a SD card is huge and bulky and heavy. The difference between SD and miniSD is far less. SD cards remain thin and light.

They don't come out with 32gb Class 6 cards when they're obsolete and no one uses them.

I will buy whatever is on the market that will support SD cards. There are plenty of other products out there. And the reality is that the next Palm OS may in fact be running on Linux. When I have to go out and buy all new apps anyway---I'm officially in play. I don't need to rely on Palm any more. If they add to that they only support mini-SDs---it's a no brainer. I'll buy something else.

If Palm does not support SD cards in the next releases, I have simple answer for them.

They can go screw themselves.

Can anyone tell me which of these devices support SDHC normal cards?

Iphone
    Blackberry
    Kindle
    Last edited by Mark Squires; 08/05/2008 at 07:31 PM.
    As phones try to shrink and add more features to the boards, something has to give. Cutting down to the smaller form factor for the sd card makes sense.
  13.    #13  
    Are the phones shrinking at the PDA level? They're getting thinner--but the 680 is about the same size as the 650. And the SDHC card is plenty thin enough.

If I wanted a tiny little phone, that's what I'd buy. But I didn't. What I bought was a PDA. It has to have a useable screen for reading ebooks and documents, and it has to have a useable keyboard.

That is, if it gets any smaller, I'm not interested. SO there is no reason to switch media on any device I intend to use. I don't want a smaller PDA.
    They seem to be getting smaller over time. Look at the centro, 800w, any of the new HTC phones, and newer blackberries. They are all getting smaller. Note that the screen size is often not changing or only changing slightly.
    I agree with GFunk on the inevitable trend to smaller SD formats.

That being said, one thing that leaves Palm users scratching their heads is the fact that the Treos with MiniSD or MicroSD are still fat as pigs with wimpy batteries in comparison to the marketplace. If the Centro or 800w was as thin as an iPhone there would be a lot less whining around here. Treos are awesome, but the FF has been left in the early part of this century.

I'm sure Palm is positioning to try and standardize here. Hopefully they spending as little resources as the trends of their devices show. That way maybe enough ca$h on those "breakthrough" Nova devices.
    Patrick Horne
    SDHC is the current standard---not minis. Anyone with mini-cards can use an adapter. The reverse is not true.

The comparison to CF is not apt. CF next to a SD card is huge and bulky and heavy. The difference between SD and miniSD is far less. SD cards remain thin and light.

They don't come out with 32gb Class 6 cards when they're obsolete and no one uses them.

I will buy whatever is on the market that will support SD cards. There are plenty of other products out there. And the reality is that the next Palm OS may in fact be running on Linux. When I have to go out and buy all new apps anyway---I'm officially in play. I don't need to rely on Palm any more. If they add to that they only support mini-SDs---it's a no brainer. I'll buy something else.

If Palm does not support SD cards in the next releases, I have simple answer for them.

They can go screw themselves.

Can anyone tell me which of these devices support SDHC normal cards?

Iphone
    Blackberry
    Kindle
    iPhone = no memory cards
    blackberry = microSD
    kindle= no clue
    Kindle appears to use regular SD cards and not SDHC.
    Well, broke down and bought a Tilt (slightly used on Evil bay). I'll get it Monday...

I need something to replace my aging Lifedrive and maybe my Treo 680. I'll see first hand if I can leave the thumb-board behind, which has been my hesitation on changing to anything else.

Geeze Palm, hurry up. You are losing your base!
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    I have the Tilt and some things impress me, but I expect I will keep the 680 as my primary device.

The big problem: I cannot one hand type a name on the Tilt, to dial the number. It is easy to use my thumb on the 680. I thought this was going to be a problem, ad I was right.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
    I am holding my breath... if APPLE sold an unlocked iphone then I would buy one, yet it would be my back-up phone.

I am unhappy that I won't be able to use my SDHC cards (although I just give those to my brother to use...) I just hope that the next true PALM upgrade/device does not disappoint us.

Yet, I was an avid Clie - NX user... and SONY was notorious for ignoring users... *sigh*
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast