Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I decided to wait for the price of the 680 to drop to where I was comfortable at paying, which was 240; I stepped into the Treo pond in February this year. They've halved in price. But it's important to ignore this price drop because that's IT for you.

Thing with my 680 is that it's easy to bash the device for the things it doesn't have as standard. Hardware wise, there's no built-in GPS, WiFi or 3G, 5 MP camera. Would I use them? A little, yes.

Software wise, I can pretty much add anything I want to it - push email? No problem. Stereo Bluetooth support? No problem. Client relationship management software? No problem. BlackBerry Connect? Some problems but it'll work. So on and so forth.

Ultimately, my Treo is simply the hardware to run the applications I really want. I can and have managed with another operating system, but I wanted to just do it.

As for SD / microSD / SDHC cards... yeah well SD may eventually be phased out for microSD but ignoring a device based on the price of these cards is in my opinion a little bit shortsighted. I'm not meaning to sound unsympathetic so let me explain...

It's all to do with how the value of cards is always dropping. Not so long ago, as you entered a room containing a 1 Gb SD card you had to remove your shoes. Now they're giving them away. Known quality 4 Gb cards on Amazon UK are under 9. The higher capacity cards are always expensive and always depreciate in value very quickly.

I remember spending a not-inconsiderable amount of money on five 256 Mb SD cards and at the time thinking, phew, why would I possibly want more than this amount of space, just kidding myself of course. Now, well shoot, 256 Mb isn't worth putting into the slot, right?

Now I don't imagine a day when 32 Gb cards will be obsolete but then a few years ago I didn't imagine being able to buy that much reliable memory on that small a unit anyway. My conclusion through these thought processes are that most SD cards I've bought and used for a given generation of machine simply feel too cramped when I'm done with that machine. My m515 had a 16 Mb card, which was great for the device. My Tungsten W had 1 64 Mb card I believe. My Tungsten T2 and then T3 used a 256 Mb then a 1 Gb card. My 680 has a 4 Gb card...

Do I think my Treo 680 is perfect? No absolutely not. Even with 3,300 mAh of power on the back, battery life isn't as good as my BlackBerry Curve under like for like conditions. It lacks voice dial over Bluetooth when in standby. Also the mark of being a geek isn't what you currently use, but what you'd want to use...
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I would be happy with a 680 that has all the features of the Treo Pro, but runs Palm-OS. I get the feeling nobody prefers the other OSes, but the restrictions of Garnet have made it obsolete. How many people would go for a Garnet-like experience with WiFi, GPS, GSM 3G, and perhaps a better camera, all in the same tired old form factor of the 680? I certainly would....
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Yeah - me too, basically. Given the talent that Palm have accrued, this is what I'm hoping for.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12