Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Centro (Blue, Verizon Wireless) has a creak to the battery cover. I decided to skip calling Verizon because they are never really all that helpful and called Palm directly...they said it is not normal to have a creaking battery cover and that they could replace it if I wanted...I declined.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Have you replaced the handset? After the replacement has the creak ceased?

I know I heard some issues with some treo models creaking and they replace them with different casing or something and it stops it...

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    If you remove the back cover more often it will inevitably get loose and start creaking. People who take the memory card out or change the battery for new ones usually experience this faster.

When the cover gets loose, it creaks. If it really bothers you, you can add some adhesive backed foam cushioning underneath the cover and it will alleviate the creaking. No reason to get the phone replaced, it will eventually come back again.
  3.    #3  
    I have some paper under the cover that helps dramatically but I really don't like putting paper and creating pressure...it makes it seem like the cover might crack because of the new pressure...

I know sometimes palm fixes the problem and replaces the devices per request....I think one of the treo battery doors got a revision and was improved...and according to Palm my cover should fit snug and have no creak when typing at all...and offered to replace the device with no cost to me.

I might invest in a hard snap on cover to alleviate it...
    put four or five layers of scotch tape on either side (lengthwise) of the back. Makes a bit harder to put on, but doesn't creak
    My Centro creaks horribly. I've had this unit since....oh.. April or May. It's so loud, if I'm in a quiet environment, people turn and look.

:-/
    Bek
    SprintPCS Centro
    Global Posts
    193 Global Posts
    This seems like a naive question to me but...is there any risk associated with "stuffing" the cover? My wife's creaks a lot, and I've been thinking about this myself. TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    If you remove the back cover more often it will inevitably get loose and start creaking.
    Mine creaked from day one, it's because the Centro is cheaply made.
  8.    #8  
    It doesn't feel cheap...just the battery cover has a design issue.
    Creaking after a few days of use became intolerable. Got the Seidio Super Slim Rubberized Hard Case and problem solved. The Centro feels solid as a rock in the Seidio and the case really looks great. Highly recommended.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinH1991 View Post
    It doesn't feel cheap...just the battery cover has a design issue.

A design issue resulting from it being cheaply built.
    Mine creaked from day one too, but it is ALREADY a replacement. My first Centro after six months got a short in the headphone jack, so I could only answer a call with a headset. Don't feel like getting another new one. Everything else is so tight compared to the 6 month old one!
    Any tips on how to remove and put back the battery cover?

Man mine is really tuff.

TIA
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    The newer Centros now come with a foam cushion that is adhered to the battery cover, which seems to fix the design flaw. My older Centro has something similar that I custom made, which has worked like a charm for the past 6 months.

As for removing the cover, put the Centro on your thigh with the face down and bottom pointing sway. Then apply pressure with two thumbs about an inch apart near the Sprint logo, pushing away.
    My Palm phones: i500 --> i550 --> 650 --> 700p --> Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    The newer Centros now come with a foam cushion that is adhered to the battery cover, which seems to fix the design flaw. My older Centro has something similar that I custom made, which has worked like a charm for the past 6 months.

As for removing the cover, put the Centro on your thigh with the face down and bottom pointing sway. Then apply pressure with two thumbs about an inch apart near the Sprint logo, pushing away.
    headcase,
    First of all, thanks for the tip on removing and putting back the cover. That worked.

My Centro is new as well and has the foam cushion but unfortunately mine still creaks sometimes. I think it was me trying the force the battery cover off and on until I read your post.

Tks Again
    Last edited by TurboTiger; 08/13/2008 at 07:49 PM.
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    The Centro does so much for a 100 dollar phone, I can live with a little creaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike77 View Post
    The Centro does so much for a 100 dollar phone, I can live with a little creaking.

Beats the hell out of my Treo 700p.

Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    My gosh. Just put a folded piece of paper or business card under the battery cover. Almost all Treos have had creaking battery covers. And you are right, for $99, you get a heck of a smartphone. Oh, and get a Card Export or some other software that will read the card and then you won't have to take off the battery cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    My gosh. Just put a folded piece of paper or business card under the battery cover. Almost all Treos have had creaking battery covers. And you are right, for $99, you get a heck of a smartphone. Oh, and get a Card Export or some other software that will read the card and then you won't have to take off the battery cover.
    gapost,
    Tks for the tips but may not be applicable for the Centro. The folded piece of business card worked well with my 700p but with my new Centro, I have a sponge-like cushion on the battery cover.

Also, If your Centro locks ups, you have to remove the battery cover to cause a reset by removing the battery. (For normal resets, I use SafeGuard's added feature of creating a reset.)

Tks and Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Cigar Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    gapost,
    Tks for the tips but may not be applicable for the Centro. The folded piece of business card worked well with my 700p but with my new Centro, I have a sponge-like cushion on the battery cover.
    Works perfectly for me.. just cut a business car in half and put both the pieces on top of the battery before you put the cover on. Hasn't creaked since!
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast