1.    #1  
    Here's the problem I'm encountering with the 2.01 demo. If use PQ to go into a transaction downloaded from the desktop that contains a split, copy that transaction, edit the copy and go into the split while editing, my handheld returns a fatal exception when I'm done editing.

Yes, that's a mouthful. Here are the exact steps:

1) In desktop Quicken, in a bank (i.e. checking) account, create transaction which contains a split.
    2) Sync to the handheld.
    3) Open that transaction in PQ.
    4) Tap the Menu icon, and make a duplicate of the transaction.
    5) Locate the new transaction (this may involve leaving and re-entering the register in PQ...also possibly a bug, but much less important).
    6) Open the new copy of the transaction to edit it.
    7) Tap the Split button to open the split window.
    8) Tap Done or Cancel to return to the main edit window for the transaction.
    9) Tap Done.

This sequence of events drops my handheld into a fatal exception. The first couple of times I could just soft reset. The last few times, I had to hard reset.

For the record:
    VPL w/OS 3.5.2H1.4
    Over 2000k free
    Pocket Quicken 2.01 demo
    Windows Quicken 2000 Deluxe

Does anyone else encounter this problem, or am I just special? This is the first time I've tried PQ, so I don't know if this problem existed in earlier versions.

Jeff
    I had same problem.
    I was forced into a hard reset.
    Will be removing the 2.01 upgrade.
    Version 2.0 was working fine except for a few minor irritations.

This is a serious problem THAT NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED!!!!

This doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about future upgrades.
    I'll wait until 2.1.
  3.    #3  
    I got a reply from Landware this afternoon acknowledging the problem. They're investigating it, but have no time frame for a fix. Just thought I'd share.

Jeff
    Originally posted by jsbernstein
    I got a reply from Landware this afternoon acknowledging the problem. They're investigating it, but have no time frame for a fix. Just thought I'd share.

Jeff
    We are looking into it this weekend and will have a fix next week.

I would be interested to know why you are duplicating transactions in this manner, rather than just recalling a memorized transaction. This feature was only ever intended
    as a backup mechanism in case the original transaction was deleted from the desktop.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by clintonlogan

I would be interested to know why you are duplicating transactions in this manner, rather than just recalling a memorized transaction. This feature was only ever intended
    as a backup mechanism in case the original transaction was deleted from the desktop.
    Thanks for the quick response. I was playing with that feature because I was trying to see if I could edit transactions that had been originally entered on the desktop. For instance, if I pull $100 out of the ATM, sometimes I'll categorize it all as cash in Quicken, and as I spend it (and if I can remember where I spent it), I'll go back to that transaction and set up a split with more accurate details. Since from what I recall (remember, I only played with it for a few hours) of PQ, you can't edit transactions that have already been recorded on the desktop, so my thought was that if I wanted to update an existing transaction, I could make a copy of it, update the copy, and delete the original, effectively replacing it with the copy. I never got as far as determining whether deleting a transaction in PQ would delete it from the desktop, as I got fixated on the error.

Again, thanks for the quick reply and fix.

Jeff
    Just a follow up.

It appears that this behaviour exists only when duplicating historical transactions that contain split transfers. We are currently working on a fix so in the meantime we recommend you do not use the "create a duplicate copy" until we get it fixed.

This is an obscure feature intended to recover transactions that have been accidentally deleted at the desktop so it shouldn't detract from 2.01's usability.

Because 2.01 contains some important fixes we still recommend you run 2.01 rather than rolling back to 2.0.

Sorry about this, the programmer has already been taken out the back and wipped

......For instance, if I pull $100 out of the ATM, sometimes I'll categorize it all as cash in Quicken, and as I spend it (and if I can remember where I spent it), I'll go back to that transaction and set up a split with more accurate details.......
    Jeff
    I do the same. Otherwise, for budget purposes, you can't track what you paid cash for.
    Besides having my bank records readily avaialable, I wanted to update the ATM transaction on the handheld rather than wait until I lit up the desktop.

For me, I would like the ability to change unreconciled transactions. The reconciled transactions should not be editable, since that would screw up reconciliations.

Two other things I would like:
    1. On historical splits display, also show the memo portion. I use this to record important information.
    2. On entering a new split, I would like to see the memo portion on the next line, not have to tap the button. This would take up more screen real estate, therefore, should be an option.

Except for the reset problem, I like the program and use it a lot.

Two suggestions for future additions:
    Quicken Emergency Records and Home Inventory.
    Last edited by BudPritchard; 07/14/2001 at 10:26 PM.
    Originally posted by clintonlogan
    Just a follow up.

<snip> ...

Sorry about this, the programmer has already been taken out the back and wipped
    looks like the programmer has had the "h***" beaten out of him too :-)
    Please tell me that we can install the fix without uninstalling everything and reinstalling a whole new installer program

- Burns
    Check out my page on Visors:
    Burn's Visor page
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by clintonlogan on 7/14/01

Is there any news on the PQ update? clintonlogan posted the above message over two weeks ago, but the Landware site still has version 2.01. Just checking.

Jeff

Is there any news on the PQ update? clintonlogan posted the above message over two weeks ago, but the Landware site still has version 2.01. Just checking.

Jeff
    The new build has been online for awhile. Its still labelled v2.01 but "build 64". Sorry I forget this thread was sill open.

Because a number of thorny issues arose as a result of the "duplicate function" (ie what happens if the transaction's account isn't being tracked on the handheld etc) we decided to temporarily remove it.

The one other thing we corrected was a small aesthetic display issue with long budget names. Nothing else was changed, hence the 'silent upgrade'.

hope this helps
    Originally posted by BudPritchard

I do the same. Otherwise, for budget purposes, you can't track what you paid cash for.
    Besides having my bank records readily avaialable, I wanted to update the ATM transaction on the handheld rather than wait until I lit up the desktop.

For me, I would like the ability to change unreconciled transactions. The reconciled transactions should not be editable, since that would screw up reconciliations.
    I created a seperate "Cash" account in Quicken. When I use the ATM I do a "Transfer" to the cash account. Then when I spend cash, I use this account. This way I can actually see EVERY transaction seperately--even if it DID come from the same atm withdrawal.

In addition, how the "Split transaction" method work? When I make a withdrawal, I try to have some money left over--therefore next time I use the ATM, I add money. What happens when one purchase comes from money received in multiple withdrawals?
    Originally posted by doni

I created a seperate "Cash" account in Quicken. When I use the ATM I do a "Transfer" to the cash account. Then when I spend cash, I use this account. This way I can actually see EVERY transaction seperately--even if it DID come from the same atm withdrawal.

In addition, how the "Split transaction" method work? When I make a withdrawal, I try to have some money left over--therefore next time I use the ATM, I add money. What happens when one purchase comes from money received in multiple withdrawals?
    I split the amount in both withdrawals if the purchase used cash from both withdrawals.

However, I went to the separate "Cash" account idea doni suggested a couple of weeks ago. Makes it easier than hunting down the withdrawals on the desktop. Plus, like doni mentioned, it is then easier to see where Cash is going.

I update the account balance to zero every month end so I can see the expenditures for a month and how much cash was not accounted for. The balance left over in one month gets added into the next month as a deposit.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by doni

As BudPritchard did, I would edit the split on both cash withdrawals if necessary. But I like the idea of a separate cash account better. I'll have to try that out. Thanks for the tip.

Jeff
    Glad to help guys.