Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    you beat me to it!

important to note that it took half the time it sold the first million to get to the second million. That is rather compelling.

this is wonderful news for our beloved and beleaguered Palm INc.

Here's a CNBC article with an exclusive interview with Ed Colligan about the 2 millionth Centro sold.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25897622/site...t%7C&par=yahoo

I must be honest. When i hear Ed Colligan say that the future is bright and that he has breakthrough products in store for all of us, i thought he just bluffing to keep the stockholders happy. But after this interview, i am actually starting to believe him.

Great Job on the Centro!
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Not surprising, a great phone for a very cheap price.
    that will keep software developers still interested in the platform.
    I should note that Palm always sells around 1 million devices each quarter (PDA+Smartphone).

Q406 ………… 1014000
    Q107 ………… 1059000
    Q207 ………… 1117000
    Q307 ………… 1194000
    q407 ………… 1064000
    q108 ………… 1014000
    q208 ………… 1014000
    q308 ………… 1014000
    q408 ………… 1072000

The question is whether they managed to exceed this level or not.

Surur
    Nice work on a good device palm!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Surur;

An even better question is whether they can do anything to bolster their margins on these devices. With their only true higher-margin current device (800w) being limited to ONE carrier, I don't see anything coming soon to stick a cork in Palm's losses, unless the Treo 850 hits the market this fall with as much initial momentum as the Centro did last year.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    I should note that Palm always sells around 1 million devices each quarter (PDA+Smartphone).

Q406 1014000
    Q107 1059000
    Q207 1117000
    Q307 1194000
    q407 1064000
    q108 1014000
    q208 1014000
    q308 1014000
    q408 1072000

The question is whether they managed to exceed this level or not.

Surur
    But this is also on a single device, not a combined total.
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
    First million was on a lot fewer carriers and countries, thus the second million moved faster.
    for them to keep this momentum going they have to release a T-mobile Centro. They are on such a roll.
    ... but now for some perspective..

2 million palm centros sold.

40 million blackberries sold during the same period.

While this is progress for palm, the great blackberry juggernaut looms larger than ever.
    Its a step in the right direction. Also the Centro has only been on VZW for only alittle over 1 month now. So I would think it still has some legs on it.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    ... but now for some perspective..

2 million palm centros sold.

While this is progress for palm, the great blackberry juggernaut looms larger than ever.
    Well, but how much of each model? Anyhoo, for a smaller company, Palm is doing good with the Centro.
  13.    #14  
    RIMM only sold 5.4million in the latest quarter. I am wondering where you got the 40m figure.

(http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080626/earns...tion.html?.v=8)
    Rimm's numbers were reported on cnbc following palm's centro sales report. Saw it with my own two eyes yesterday.

The newsclip even focused on the fact that several years ago, palm commanded the majority of handheld sales and new subscribers. Rimm was second.

The story reiterated the fact that following the company split, name changes, logo changes and the other gaffes at palm, Rimm has been able to take over the lead with surging numbers.

It aired yesterday between 1pm and 2 pm.
    Rimm's numbers were reported on cnbc following palm's centro sales report. Saw it with my own two eyes yesterday.

The newsclip even focused on the fact that several years ago, palm commanded the majority of handheld sales and new subscribers. Rimm was second.

The story reiterated the fact that following the company split, name changes, logo changes and the other gaffes at palm, Rimm has been able to take over the lead with surging numbers.

It aired yesterday between 1pm and 2 pm.
    The probably mean cumulative sales. I think RIM only has less than 15 million active subscribers. I put Palm's all time cumulative sales of Treo's at around 9-10 million. I put Palm's active user base at much less than 6 million.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur View Post
    The probably mean cumulative sales. I think RIM only has less than 15 million active subscribers. I put Palm's all time cumulative sales of Treo's at around 9-10 million. I put Palm's active user base at much less than 6 million.

Surur
    That could be, but how do you arrive at less than 15 million active rimm users? Now that blackberries are available in china, I would think rimm's numbers would be dramatically higher than that.

I'm not sure about palm's numbers. 6 million? maybe. But given rimm's command of the market space, I'd expect their active base to be much greater than 15 mil.

If palm's active base were a little less than half that of rimm's why is palm's stock price per share only $6 while rimm's is $125?
    Last edited by logmein; 07/31/2008 at 10:38 PM.
    That could be, but how do you arrive at less than 15 million active rimm users? Now that blackberries are available in china, I would think rimm's numbers would be dramatically higher than that.

I'm not sure about palm's numbers. 6 million? maybe. But given rimm's command of the market space, I'd expect their active base to be much greater than 15 mil.

If palm's active base were half that of rimm's why is palm's stock price per share only $6 while rimm's is $125?
    Neither one of you guys know the details on the numbers so you might as well leave that game alone. It really isn't about the numbers anyway. Microsoft has been dwarfing Apple for years but it's pretty good to be Steve Jobs right about now. Only one of a companies goals has anything to do with the competition. There are many other success markers besides market share. Market share doesn't even equal success. Look at CompUSA. They were the king of the hill now they are toast. There is certainly enough room for Palm to be quite successful for the next few years and never be better than 3rd or 4th in market share.

The best thing about Palm's current position is that they have now built the relationships and experience needed to roll out a phone to so many carriers in so many countries. That has been the key to their success when they owned the regular handheld market. That has been the key to RIMM's success as well. All of these carriers in these countries now have subscribers that are familiar with a Palm phone, love the Palm phone experience, and for the next iteration. If Palm really has a line up of great devices coming then these subscribers have a lot to look forward to.

I certainly wouldn't mind having 4 or 5 million people waiting for my new device. Cha-Ching! Plus I can't imagine that Palm isn't making a better margin on this device in some of these countries. In any event, the margins get better when you can start selling in that quantity.

Peace!
    And you don't know enough about the dynamics within palm to be able to predict with any semblance of certainty that they will achieve the stunning success that RIMM OR APPLE HAVE going forward, so YOU should leave THAT game alone.

Look, we all know for a fact that rimm dominates the game... PERIOD. Its undisputed. Apple is an overnight amazing success on just 2 generations of smartphones, where palm has had a decade to reach the same pinnacle of success and they are nowhere near the goal.

Palm is the textbook definition of the word underdog now - they've made this their label by their own
    actions or missteps, rather.

One successful execution like the centro doesn't remove the burden they've put on themselves. There isn't even a big profit margin to speak of. They've sold 2 million but how much PROFIT did they actually rake in compared to the profits of apple and rimm with their big sellers?

Different leagues altogether.

Marketshare DOES "even" equal success. To say otherwise is factually untrue. Its a measure of a company's ability to meet the needs of the market and appeal to all niches successfully and CONSISTENTLY.

The compusa example is irrelevent. If a company can maintain its dominance over the long term ( as rimm has ) that equals success. Its share price reflects it. To go from market leadership to underdog status or bankruptcy is more often than not simply a result of poor company strategy, poor execution, inability to adapt to changes in the market conditions and or incompetence. The share price will reflect THAT as well, as we see in palm's case.

Nah, I'll keep playing this game as long as I see fit, bigtreo. thanks.
    Last edited by logmein; 08/01/2008 at 12:05 AM.
    The company - which has over 16 million BlackBerry subscribers around the world - has seen its base among non-corporate types grow rapidly during the past two years. Accordingly, to woo students, teens and the youth who have fallen madly for the iPhone because of its touch-screen technology, RIM is said to be developing its touch-screen device to be called BlackBerry Thunder.
    http://www.freshnews.in/blackberry-b...e-iphone-33385

If palm's active base were a little less than half that of rimm's why is palm's stock price per share only $6 while rimm's is $125?
    I base that 6 million number on no-one keeping their Treo for more than 2 years. Their trailing 1 year shipments is 4 million, their trailing 2 year shipments is 6 million and their trailing 3 year shipments is around 8 million.

Stock price is based completely on prospects (these days). The market is obviously convinced RIMM will continue to grow, but then at one point Palm also had a share price of $1000 dollars per share.

Surur
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast