Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    And you don't know enough about the dynamics within palm to be able to predict with any semblance of certainty that they will achieve the stunning success that RIMM OR APPLE HAVE going forward, so YOU should leave THAT game alone.

Look, we all know for a fact that rimm dominates the game... PERIOD. Its undisputed. Apple is an overnight amazing success on just 2 generations of smartphones, where palm has had a decade to reach the same pinnacle of success and they are nowhere near the goal.

Palm is the textbook definition of the word underdog now - they've made this their label by their own
    actions or missteps, rather.

One successful execution like the centro doesn't remove the burden they've put on themselves. There isn't even a big profit margin to speak of. They've sold 2 million but how much PROFIT did they actually rake in compared to the profits of apple and rimm with their big sellers?

Different leagues altogether.

Marketshare DOES "even" equal success. To say otherwise is factually untrue. Its a measure of a company's ability to meet the needs of the market and appeal to all niches successfully and CONSISTENTLY.

The compusa example is irrelevent. If a company can maintain its dominance over the long term ( as rimm has ) that equals success. Its share price reflects it. To go from market leadership to underdog status or bankruptcy is more often than not simply a result of poor company strategy, poor execution, inability to adapt to changes in the market conditions and or incompetence. The share price will reflect THAT as well, as we see in palm's case.

Nah, I'll keep playing this game as long as I see fit, bigtreo. thanks.
    I can see you decided to leave the numbers game alone as I suggested. You are really heartfelt about this stuff eh?

I made no suggestion that I could (or even care to) predict the fortune of Palm. I simply pointed out some past examples that prove their is a chance for Palm to return to glory. The only real disagreement I have about your last comment is that Apple's turnaround had something to do with the iPhone. Apple had made a complete turnaround before the iPhone. The iPod was the great savior for them. Then they made a smart move and made a iPod phone (iPhone) after the original device was already wildly popular.

Palm may fail tomorrow but it's not simply because they are not the market leader. Who is the market leader in TV manufacturing? I personally don't know but I do know that all of these brands have found a way to survive even though only one could possibly be the market leader. Emerson, Sharp, Sanyo, RCA, Philips, Magnavox, Mitsubishi, Samsung, and Sony. I couldn't believe Emerson is making HDTVs. I thought that company was long gone.

It's been a full two years that the heartfelt have been calling for Palm's head and Palm appears to be stronger now than they were two years ago. Personally the only reason I care is because they are the only company that makes cellphones the way I like them. If they do die I just hope someone else can mimmick their form factor because right now they own the front facing qwerty, candy bar, touchscreen form factor. PERIOD! No sliding keyboard or virtual keyboards for me. No way, no how.

BTW, did you see the articla about Microsoft selling 18 million Windows Mobile licenses in the last fiscal year? They are quietly taking over the phone market. They still have a long way to go against the likes of Symbian but RIMM is already toast. Of course they are only competing on OS but that's the same formula they used to overrun Apple in the 80's and 90's. Now may be a good time to cash in on all that profitable RIMM stock.
    Last edited by BigTreo; 08/01/2008 at 07:45 AM.
    I'm in no way avoiding the numbers game simply because YOU suggested it. Are you kidding me? lol. Dude, please.

I stand by the 40 million sold by rimm as the numbers were posted big as life across cnbc's screen. If there had been an error, it would have been addressed as such.

Sell rimm? Um, no. Rimm's stock will continue to rise as they've recently added China to their list where blackberries will be sold. As their products reach that market over time, sales will increase.
    They are most definitely, not toast. That was quite an amusing line to read though.

Their market share is on the rise. As they make their products available to other nations, this is inevitable.

Rimm's email is tops in the business. As corporate email goes, blackberry is IT. PERIOD!

As they continue offering a wider array of form factors for each niche, their appeal will broaden and their profits will surge.

The bold is a knockout. Once that hits the majority of carriers, you'll find that to be the case.

Heartfelt? Hardly. Might not one consider you to be just the same?
    I think so.

. The front facing keyboard was rimm's invention! Palm's been paying rimm royalties since their first treo. Which one is better is debatable. Rimm's is pretty darn comfortable.
    Last edited by logmein; 08/01/2008 at 11:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    you cant compare 2 different company's per share price.

that's just stupid.

you can compare their relative growth.

you can have 2 companies with 15 millon dollars in outstanding shares. Company A might have 15 million 1 dollar shares and company B might have 5 million 3 dollar shares. Same difference. You cant even compare if the stock values go up in a year- what if in a year company a's shares are now worth 3.45 and company b's shares are worth 3.50- would you still argue company b is "better"?

what if one company's stock split? what if the other reverse split? what if one bought back a pile of shares?

it's more complex then saying cokes stock is X a share and pepsi's is y
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by logmein View Post
    I'm in no way avoiding the numbers game simply because YOU suggested it. Are you kidding me? lol. Dude, please.

I stand by the 40 million sold by rimm as the numbers were posted big as life across cnbc's screen. If there had been an error, it would have been addressed as such.

Sell rimm? Um, no. Rimm's stock will continue to rise as they've recently added China to their list where blackberries will be sold. As their products reach that market over time, sales will increase.
    They are most definitely, not toast. That was quite an amusing line to read though.

Their market share is on the rise. As they make their products available to other nations, this is inevitable.

Rimm's email is tops in the business. As corporate email goes, blackberry is IT. PERIOD!

As they continue offering a wider array of form factors for each niche, their appeal will broaden and their profits will surge.

The bold is a knockout. Once that hits the majority of carriers, you'll find that to be the case.

Heartfelt? Hardly. Might not one consider you to be just the same?
    I think so.

. The front facing keyboard was rimm's invention! Palm's been paying rimm royalties since their first treo. Which one is better is debatable. Rimm's is pretty darn comfortable.

know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em....
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12