1.    #1  
    After 1 year and 7 days of reliable service, my 680 is not working correctly. I can not reliably tap the lower right side of the screen. When I tap that area nothing happens. Other areas of the screen work fine. This problem coincided with changing my Boxwave screen protector.

Of course the failure came 7 days after my warranty ran out. I am filing a claim with Visa since the phone was purchased with that card. I have something called Warranty Manager which doubles the mfg's warranty. In the meantime I bought a new unlocked GSM 680 off ebay for $200.

Anyone have a suggestion on what could cause this type of failure? I have tried a hard reset and recalibrating, but had no improvement. I have no screen protector on at the moment. The problem area is just the bottom right side of the screen. Other areas work fine.
    Last edited by swieder; 07/29/2008 at 11:46 AM.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Over this past winter (Chicago) I accidentally left my Sony Clie in my car overnight. The next day when I went to use it I found that the touch screen was off, everything would register slightly down and to the left of where it should. I did the same things you did, recalibrate, reset, etc. nothing worked. I have just had to get used to how I touch the screen.

In your situation I would obviously assume the removal of the old screen protector has caused the sensors in that part of the screen to no longer function correctly.

I am curious, since you purchased a new 680 off eBay, what will result if Visa finds in your favor with the additional warranty? Will they simply pay you back the $200 you just spent? Will they request the damaged phone?
  3.    #3  
    I was using Boxwave screen protectors which have no adhesive. Not sure how removing this type of material could cause the digitizer to fail. Maybe its just a coincidence (which is what I tell the claims adjuster).

I submitted the claim on Sunday along with the quote from Palm for $199 to repair/replace the broken 680. Visa said that they will get back to me within 5 business days with the next step.

I will keep you posted.
    Last edited by swieder; 08/04/2008 at 11:21 PM.
    If you installed a new protector, remove it. If not, some how the screen digitizer has gone bad. I have replaced the digitizer on just about every palm device I've ever owned. It is straight forward, but not "easy". Cost is about $20 for a digitizer.

You open the Treo, then remove the screen. Use a single edge razor, you separate the screen from the digitizer. Use 2 sided tape to glue the new digitizer to the screen and re-install the screen. I posted a tutorital on how to re-install and check the screen in a step by step process.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
  5.    #5  
    I bought a new screen/digitizer off ebay for $50. Once the part arrives I will be studying a few notes on how to do the replacement.

thanks,
  6.    #6  
    Good news. Visa has approved my claim and is reimbursing me for the original 680 purchase. "The check is in the mail." This is the first time that I have used this benefit from Visa. There is a bit of paper work to supply them, but for $160 it was worth it.
    You can send the unit off to these guys and they'll fix it for you:

http://www.pdasmart.com/Treo-680-Repair-Parts.htm

Treo Mail-In Repair Price : $85.00
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?