1.    #1  
    (alternate thread title - "there and back again")

my treo was getting sluggish (i attributed it to a lot of contacts)

sometimes i think my personal "internal clock speed" is a bit higher than the average human's - and the treo was making me feel impatient at times waiting for it to search through all my 1700 contacts for a match when an unknown ph number was coming in (btw - i use chapura key suite because i sort my contacts in folders in outlook and chapura keysuite can handle that - i'm going to change that though, i think i'm going to only sort my contacts by categories and stick with the OEM PIM app - i hope that will speed things up! otherwise, chapura makes an *excellent* product that has served me VERY well over the years - can't recommend it highly enough!)

and then i started noticing the volume and brightness controls would stop working (and then start working again - solved by popping the batt out and resetting the treo - grrr! anyone got any suggestions on how to fix that?!? i guess if windows gets "winrot," palm devices get "palmrot" - lol - eww, that sounds gross!)

and, since i'm starting a new business - with an attendant increase in email traffic - i also needed more capability/functionality in the email arena

((i need to monitor a minimum of five email accts - some more time-critical than others))

plus, let's just be honest here... i felt like i needed an "upgrade" to the 21st century - the treo is just so "90s" - furthermore, i was really impressed with the slick marketing material heralding the the curve's attributes (it sure LOOKED good! downright sexy!)

so with a little twinge of regret at leaving behind my trusty steed, the now-venerable palm treo, i rationalized to myself that a change to a BB was in order and that the "curve" would be the platform of choice for me (full keyboard yada yada)

it came in the mail a couple weeks ago - and by the end of the first week i knew... i wasn't going to be able to keep it

bottom line - the usability/ergonomics/efficiencies of the treo outweigh the "push email" functionality of the BB curve

simple tasks such as replying to a ph call via txt msg... are difficult on the curve

(txt msgs aren't "threaded" --- and it behaves differently if YOU sent a msg or THEY sent a msg - i mean, no, you can't "reply" to YOURSELF so "technically" the BB programmers are "correct" but (!!!) if i sent an SMS to someone and i want to send ANOTHER one, the BB makes it hard and the treo makes it easy - NUFF SAID!!)

the touch screen - where i can just "put the thing on the thing" and select something - is *critical* to me - its so intuitive (albeit, very small - requiring precise control or... a sharp fingernail!lol)

((speaking of putting-the-thing-on-the-thing... you can't move the mouse cursor ANYWHERE on the screen you want - on the treo you're used to selecting the voicemail icon or the email icon - well, you can SEE those icons on the BB's screen, but you can't move your cursor up there - grrr! and then (lol) i can't tell you how many times i was frustrated by trying to tap the screenwith my finger and then (believe it or not) reaching behind the BB's "shoulder" to find the stylus cuz my finger "didn't work" - haha! "old habits" ... "dogs" ... "tricks" ... yeah yeah))

the volume controls on the curve are on the "wrong" side - and unfortunately the "convenience keys" on the side of the curve are placed exactly where you need to place your thumb so as to generate enough pressure on the (aggravatingly hard-to-find-by-feel) volume control buttons

so you end up all of a sudden looking at your contacts app wondering how the heck THAT happened... (sigh)

its *so cool* that the 755p has buttons *right on the front* for the calendar, (contacts - option+calendar on mine), SMS/email... its just so much easier and intuitive!

the curve doesn't "turn on" when you get a txt - it just gives a sound --- to make matters worse, i couldn't hear it most of the time (it also doesn't vibrate AND give an audible alert)

it was nice that the sound/ringer has multiple (creative/innovative) profiles though - kudos there

something else annoying - the curve doesn't turn "off" like the treo, where the screen goes off when you hit the red key - that was really annoying, all you can do is "wait" until the screen times out (nerve wracking - as a treophile i'm "concerned" something's going to get pressed while the screen is on - i want to turn it OFF!lol)

but... to be fair, it is kinda nice (in a way) that the curve doesn't have a touch-screen - you can put it in your pocket while you're using the earpiece and talking on the phone - i started doing that alot

the quick receipt of email is nice... but guess what - i get alot of email-drip-campaign emails from different vendors and, i got them all on my BB (sigh) - its kinda like, beware what you ask for, you just might get it!lol

i *definitely* like all the support BBs get - there's nothing google mobile does that's not on the BB (did that make any sense?lol)

oh - that reminds me --- i can't leave this out! GPS integration is **AMAZING**

like GPS in cars, i will NEVER buy another cell ph w/o GPS

yes, i'm sticking with my treo for as long as it shall live but... the NEXT ph i get WILL have GPS

again, the GPS/google maps integration is just... amazing - hard to put into words

"wow"

but that trackball - ugh!

if gps/gmaps is the killer app on the curve - that trackball is the DEAL KILLER (well, that and the trackball/gui interaction - hard to tell which is worse)

the GUI has some cool "looks" - it LOOKS 21st century

but the ergonomics/user-friendliness (how many "clicks" it takes to do something and how things are arranged) is just 18th century

*barf*

another good thing on the curve - the yahoo IM (that's the only one i played with)... wow, really slick!

also really slick... TV Guide's little app

another good point about the BB - in the contacts area, you can select "filter" and see only contacts in a certain category - nice

and it "remembers" that setting the next time you select contacts - again, nice

teh camera... "wow"

beautiful! excellent quality pics! i was duly impressed

*note to curve migrants... set the default picture storage location to the (included! nice!) 1M chip --- found that out the hard way (what do you MEAN i'm out of memory! already?!? are you frigging KIDDING me??)

but beware! the trackball strikes again!!

the camera has 3x and 5x zoom - controlled by (you guessed it) that tiny trackball

so when you hold the camera away from you for a self-portrait, beware how easily your camera goes from 1x to 5x with the slightest not-straight-in press of the trackball!! (another thing that's "amazing" - just how "zoomed in" 5x is!! omg!!lol)

anyway...

that's my overall take on the curve

the treo's 5-way is *sweet*

i feel "home" with it

clicking the 5-way is so "positive" - the feedback is THERE - and its SOLID

the track ball is "weak" and too sensitive (yes, i know you can set the sensitivity - and i did)

maybe the curve is just designed for women

you know, for soft delicate sensitive fingertips or something - ??

(don't even get me started on the pearl - pfft! its the cell ph equivalent to the moped! if you wouldn't ride something with your knees together, you wouldn't be caught dead with a pearl!!)

yes, there are a couple things that aren't intuitive about the treo (hitting "back" in the web browser is a 2-click process - on the curve its the ever-important BACK key, a throwback from the "wheel" days i guess)

but muscle-memory quickly overcomes that obstacle on the treo

i just cant put into words how relieved i am to be "back"

the curve has a lot to be commend it

but its not right for me

- me
    just thought you (as a treo user) should know some of what-i-would-call "gotchas" that may be waiting for you after you make the jump over to the BB
    Last edited by megaphone; 07/29/2008 at 01:09 AM.
    I'll admit I sort of bailed out of your post about half-way through (I was nodding my head with you up to that point).

I just want to mention, you might want to try a few applications to 'improve' some areas where you use your treo.

For instance: As for keeping tabs on a number of e-mail accounts, and getting push functionality, check out Chatter. (http://www.palm.com/us/software/chatteremail/) It's so much better than the built-in versamail I don't know why palm even bothers with VM.

For IM: The included IM app is... well I think it's pretty terrible. For AIM, I've found AtomicCog's Toccer to be fantastic. It's small, light, but incredibly useful. (www.atomiccog.com). I'm not familiar with a Yahoo alternative, but I'm sure one exists somewhere!

In any case, welcome back to the Treo!

(oh, one more thing... the Centro can, in fact, use Google Maps and 'sort of' integrate GPS, search for 'my location' and 'centro' and I'm sure you'll find what I'm talking about.

one more (well, I suppose this makes two) thing(s): if you hit the back key on your treo (the backspace key, that is) it will go back in the browser with just one keypress
    Last edited by kirk444; 07/29/2008 at 04:12 AM. Reason: one more thing....
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone View Post

also really slick... TV Guide's little app
    Like this one............

http://discussion.treocentral.com/images/attach/zip.gif TV Guide for Palm OS.zip
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Blackeberry understands marketing. There battery level shows full on the screen until it goes below 80 percent. Nice to show a full battery level in the show room when in reality...it just isnt what your getting. My experience with Blackberry has been deeper compromise for a smart phone device than I am willing to put up with.
    Sprint Franken-Pre 2
  5.    #5  
    wow - really great replies

good tips - taking note

thx!
    What cell service do you use? Since you mention the 755p, I'm assuming Sprint or Verizon. If Verizon, they are discontinuing the 755p already, preferring to go strictly with the newer Centro. I own a Centro and have found it to be overall superior to my older Treo 700p. It is stable, way faster, with a speaker that sounds far better than the 700p. However, if you are on Sprint and you are willing to look at Windows Mobile, I have just recently placed my Centro into backup role, and now use the new Treo 800w. While the battery life I'd only rate as mediocre (but manageable), it is fast, has GPS and WiFi, the larger screen found on the 755p, with the newer 320x320 resolution as found on the 755p. Just a thought for you, since I didn't see where you indicated that your previous Treo problems were resolved, thus I'm assuming you've still got some issues with your older device.
    You failed to mention one of the BB's chief failings: its broswer sucks big time and even its e-mail displays are very poor vs. the Treo.

BB
    The BB Bold is supposed to introduce a new browser, so it might be more interesting after that releases.
  9.    #9  
    jack.. yes, sprint

and, good points

my problem with the centro - too small!

my problem w/ the [anything]w - is the "w"
    lol

but.. you're points are well-taken and i thank you for a well-written summary of those phones!

blazerboy - you're right!!
    I do not even stay in W hotels!
    BB
    Have you tried Takephone? Its a wonderful app and I hardly ever look through the contacts app as takephone does a much better job of filtering throuhg your contacts. (inside the default contatcs app of course)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Have you tried Takephone? Its a wonderful app and I hardly ever look through the contacts app as takephone does a much better job of filtering throuhg your contacts. (inside the default contatcs app of course)
    Yes, Takephone is a pretty nice replacement for the default phone program.
  13.    #13  
    never seen takephone - looking at it now though

hmm... "maybe"
    takephone is a must if you have a Treo.
    Once you play with the settings and setup some contacts weblinks and app shortcuts on the ibar plus setting up ur search/filter options the way you want,you'll purchase it.

You have a 30 day trial but by the end of the week you'll be buying.

Takephone and rescoexplorer are the best apps Ive purchased for my Treos.

Oh also check out the rest of Shimons apps at shsh.com. He has several that are just as useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post

You have a 30 day trial but by the end of the week you'll be buying.

Oh also check out the rest of Shimons apps at shsh.com. He has several that are just as useful.
    I purchased TakephOne within one hour of using it; I also highly recommend Shimon's 2Day for your calendar app and his 4Cast as a neat weather app, which you can use as a plug-in on both TakephOne and 2Day screens.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    ...yes, there are a couple things that aren't intuitive about the treo (hitting "back" in the web browser is a 2-click process - on the curve its the ever-important BACK key, a throwback from the "wheel" days i guess)...
    hmm...On my Centro, the backspace key takes you to the previous site while using Blazer. I find this to be much easier than clicking on the 'back' icon and then selecting the previous site. Give it a try, it may work on your Palm device too.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    hmm...On my Centro, the backspace key takes you to the previous site while using Blazer. I find this to be much easier than clicking on the 'back' icon and then selecting the previous site. Give it a try, it may work on your Palm device too.

Likewise on the 755p.

The web browser is well known to be one of the BB's weakest features.

Blazor Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    I purchased TakephOne within one hour of using it; I also highly recommend Shimon's 2Day for your calendar app and his 4Cast as a neat weather app, which you can use as a plug-in on both TakephOne and 2Day screens.
    I'll second you on the 4cast recommendation. Really nice looking program, and gives you several days worth of forecasts, along with a graph displaying trends, and some other good weather info. Less than 10 bucks too.