1.    #1  
    hey everyone!
    just got back from the verizon store, and after looking all the flashy new phones around (dare, glyde,voyager, etc.) i noticed a lonely phone in the corner of the store. So being me, I decided to go check it out... turns out it was a centro

and its awesome! from the price, to the functions it offers, I'm liking every moment of it

but after reading reviews and other stuff on the web, I've got a couple o' questions:

1. Because of certain reasons at this time, I'm planning to buy the phone without the data plan, Is there a way i can disable the data connection (so I don't accidentally use it) until I'm ready to start playing the extra 30.00 verizon charges for that feature

2. I've moved away from the palm os since I've had my Palm Visor, and I started to use WM and blackberrys, has the Palm OS changed much?

3. Can I still load my open .prc's on my phone from my computer?

Thanks In Advance!
    with respect to your questions...

1) good for you, I've never been interested in data service either. If your Verizon carrier is like my AT&T, once you decline the data service, it's off. So if you accidentally launch the web browser, the Palm tries to connect to the data service, but Verizon declines the connection because you aren't signed up and paying for the data service. You should ask Verizon to be sure, but that's how it's worked for me with two different Treo's on AT&T.

2) not all old Palm software will work on today's Palm OS 5.4.9, but nearly all will. I'm not expert enough to know how to predict.

3) yes, the Palm Centrol sync's with a computer (PC or Mac) just like any ol' Palm PDA. You can also get software by direct download on the Centro by surfing the web, finding neat item you want, download it. But it's been a long time since I had data service to remember all the details.

Palm PDA's are still great, and works well to fuse it with a phone.
    -- Josh
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post

1)once you decline the data service, it's off. So if you accidentally launch the web browser, the Palm tries to connect to the data service, but Verizon declines the connection
    thats the thing about verizon, even if you don't have a data plan, they let you conenct so they can charge you more
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    yes, the Palm Centrol sync's with a computer (PC or Mac) just like any ol' Palm PDA.
    did yours come with the data cable or a cradle?
    In your Palm preferences, go to Network and then using the menu, scroll to options, preferences, and then check the "ask before connecting to the internet". That way you will have to confirm a connection.
    Kyocera 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650. All Verizon. Sprint Treo 755p, HTC Mogul & Centro
    Unlocked Treo 680 for trips outside Sprint's areas
  5.    #5  
    well you guys helped me make my decision... i just made the purchase today
    should be here by monday

thanks again guys!
    I hope I can contribute to this forum soon!
    Palm Centro (VZW)
    W/ 1GB SDHC
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cybereclipse View Post
    should be here by monday
    turns out overnight shipping works on weekends... it should be here in a couple of hours

anything I should be aware of?
    Palm Centro (VZW)
    W/ 1GB SDHC
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    go out and buy a case for it
  8.    #8  
    lol well turns out that fedex lost the package and now verizons suppossed to expedite me one tommorow when they open

any thoughts on the silicone rubber cases for the centro?
    Palm Centro (VZW)
    W/ 1GB SDHC
    Congrats on your new phone. If you find the battery life lacking, you can find spare batteries and battery chargers for about $10 each on eBay. Don't pay the $30+ that VZW will charge you. Make sure you check feedback on eBay since a lot of sellers sell dead Centro batteries.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.