1.    #1  
    I've started playing around with DateBk4, and I've got a question about appointment advances. Is there a way to set an advance that will (for lack of a better phrase) retain some of the characteristics (i.e. icons or links) of the "original" event?

For example, say I set an event on June 1 that's called Dad's Birthday, with a birthday cake icon, and set a 7 day advance. Is there a way to force the advance to automatically also have the icon? I know I can wait for May 24th to roll around for the advance will appear, and then add the icon, but is there a way to automate the process? The same question could apply to links instead of icons.

There's a lot of settings to tweak in DateBk4, but I can't seem to get this to work. Anyone else?

Jeff
    I'm not sure about getting the advance to have an icon; but for the rest of your question, I think you can achieve what you want by making the event a Template.

Basically, after you've got Dad's Birthday the way you want it, go to the Record/Save Item as Template menu, and save this as a template.

Then when you want to insert an event with similar characteristics (icons, advance, links, etc.), you can insert a "cloned" event of the template it via the "T" button on the current day. (There are also ways to edit the Template event so that text other than "Dad's Birthday" is inserted.)

Hope this helps...
    Jeff Meyer

"And he died like he lived: with his mouth wide open."
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I've played with the templates a bit. But the "solution" I've been able to come up with so far is a bit clunky.

The basic scenario is that I want an advance/float/ToDo to show up a week before the given birthday, and preferably it would have an icon and/or link. To do this, I have to create a "reminder template" as either a floating event or a to do which has a 7 day advance and the appropriate icon. To use this solution, I have to set up the actual birthday event, then a second event that is the "reminder template" with the appropriate name inserted. If I want a link on the reminder, I have to add that to each reminder individually, as putting the link in the template would just give me several reminders linked to the same address book entry.

That's why I was hoping there was a way to just set up a birthday event with the appropriate icon and/or link, and then set an advance which would show up on the appropriate day with the same icon and/or link. I have a sneaking suspicion this is not currently possible.

Jeff
    Thanks for the clarification -- I think I understand exactly what you want. However, I'm unclear as to why enabling the "Advance" field in an Appt or a ToDo (apparently you can't set Advance in a Floating Event) and setting it to 7 days doesn't solve your problem.

I'm just playing with Datebk4 now, and I can create a ToDo with an icon and a link for a week from today. I then set the Advance field of the Todo to 7 days. This causes an "advance Todo" (with a number 7 preceding it) to appear today. The "advance" ToDo has both the icon and the link on it.

I assume that using the Advance field in an Appt will be similar (when I attempt to do that, a warning message says that Appt advances are triggered at midnight, so I can't test it right now.)

However, for getting better answers than I can provide, I'd recommend asking this same question on the Pimleco Datebk4 forum on Yahoo Groups. Both CESD (the creator and supporter of Datebk4) and many knowledgable Datebk4 users frequent the group.

Hope this helps...
    Jeff Meyer

5.    #5  
    Originally posted by bookrats
    Thanks for the clarification -- I think I understand exactly what you want. However, I'm unclear as to why enabling the "Advance" field in an Appt or a ToDo (apparently you can't set Advance in a Floating Event) and setting it to 7 days doesn't solve your problem.

I'm just playing with Datebk4 now, and I can create a ToDo with an icon and a link for a week from today. I then set the Advance field of the Todo to 7 days. This causes an "advance Todo" (with a number 7 preceding it) to appear today. The "advance" ToDo has both the icon and the link on it.
    Right, the ToDo with an Advance is what I have in the template as my workaround. But it still requires me to set up both the actual birthday/event/whatever appointment AND a ToDo if I want some sort of advance warning which includes an icon.

I assume that using the Advance field in an Appt will be similar (when I attempt to do that, a warning message says that Appt advances are triggered at midnight, so I can't test it right now.)
    Using the Advance field with an appointment creates essentially a floating appointment the specified number of days ahead of time, again with an indication of how many days to go until the actual event. If your test appointment with an advance is still there (and if you set it the correct number of days in advance for it to either have appeared already or to appear tomorrow), you'll see it appear tomorrow. However, if you included an icon in your appointment, the "new" floating event will not (in my experience) include the icon.

The point of this whole exercise is for me to be able to set up birthday/anniversary/whatever appointments including a floating advance notice (and preferably an icon and a link) all with one entry. I can do the appointment and advance in the same appointment entry screen, but the icon will show up only on the actual event, not the advance event. (as a side note, I may have been wrong about links not transferring to the advance event...now it seems to work, at least in POSE)

However, for getting better answers than I can provide, I'd recommend asking this same question on the Pimleco Datebk4 forum on Yahoo Groups. Both CESD (the creator and supporter of Datebk4) and many knowledgable Datebk4 users frequent the group.
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Jeff
    Sorry for being so dense -- I finally tested the "Advance" feature with an Appt in Datebk4, and I see what you mean about no links or icons on the "advance appt".

That's really odd! I have to wonder why a ToDo with an Advance will contain the icon and links of the original ToDo, but the same won't happen with an Appt.
    Jeff Meyer

Sorry for being so dense -- I finally tested the "Advance" feature with an Appt in Datebk4, and I see what you mean about no links or icons on the "advance appt".

That's really odd! I have to wonder why a ToDo with an Advance will contain the icon and links of the original ToDo, but the same won't happen with an Appt.
    Advance Events and Todo's are really handled differently in DB4. An advance todo is really just a view of future todo's. An advance event creates a new floating event. But I see no reason that the author couldn't have chosen to copy the original icon to the new event. If it really bugs you, just ask him. His generally open to suggestions.
    Originally posted by bregent
    Advance Events and Todo's are really handled differently in DB4. An advance todo is really just a view of future todo's. An advance event creates a new floating event. But I see no reason that the author couldn't have chosen to copy the original icon to the new event. If it really bugs you, just ask him. His generally open to suggestions.
    Oh, CESD's great -- Datebk4 just gets better and better. It doesn't bug me enough to want to ask (I don't use the Advance feature), but the original poster might want to ask. As you say, he's open to good suggestions.
    Jeff Meyer

9.    #9  

Oh, CESD's great -- Datebk4 just gets better and better. It doesn't bug me enough to want to ask (I don't use the Advance feature), but the original poster might want to ask. As you say, he's open to good suggestions.
    True. I had actually written to him around the time I posted the initial message, and he got back to me fairly quickly. For the record:

Originally written by CESD

Icons are intentionally removed on advances (there was much discussion on this, but the main reason is that the icon view in the graphical weekly view and monthly views is less useful if advances are displayed as icons.
    As I told him, I hadn't even considered the possibility of the clutter if too many advances have icons in addition to the regular appointments. Damn developers, always thinking ahead and making some of us feel silly...

However, I also determined (and CESD confirmed) that if I really want the icons on the advances, I can assign all of the birthday (or anniversary or whatever) reminders to one category, and assign an icon to that category. All of the appointments and their advances would then have the icon.

And I'll echo the previous praise of CESD. I'm always happy to support a developer who not only puts out a good product, but is responsive to user concerns.

Jeff