1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have had a Treo 700w/wx since they came out & I am more a WM person. My wife is using my old 700W (my old one) & she thinks its a little too big. She saw the Centro at Best Buy & thought it looked perfect.

Right now she has a unlimited data plan on Verizon but she thinks its too expensive. She really only uses text messages & syncs her calendar (via exchange). She is thinking of cancelling the data & keeping the text plan. Then she could sync at the end of each day for the calendar.

Is that a decent solution? Can you shut off data on the Centro so you dont get charged extra (not texts). I know the WM version of the treo makes it tricky to keep the data off.

Any ideas if that would work with just a text plan? Can you use it without a data plan & still get it for $99?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RichTJ99 View Post
    Hi,

I have had a Treo 700w/wx since they came out & I am more a WM person. My wife is using my old 700W (my old one) & she thinks its a little too big. She saw the Centro at Best Buy & thought it looked perfect.

Right now she has a unlimited data plan on Verizon but she thinks its too expensive. She really only uses text messages & syncs her calendar (via exchange). She is thinking of cancelling the data & keeping the text plan. Then she could sync at the end of each day for the calendar.

Is that a decent solution? Can you shut off data on the Centro so you dont get charged extra (not texts). I know the WM version of the treo makes it tricky to keep the data off.

Any ideas if that would work with just a text plan? Can you use it without a data plan & still get it for $99?

Thanks,
    Rich
    Unless you want to pay full price ($350?), you must take the data plan. But - you can drop it after 4 or 6 months (not sure). Also - with the VZW Centro, you have the option of going with the personal use unlimited data plan for $30/mo vs the $45 plan which they now call corporate. My son dropped data on his 700P months ago and it has been no problem - we have seen no data charges and we text all the time. I think he removed the software such as the browser that would use data. I personally could not do without data, use it all the time - but am glad to have just switched to the Centro and the $30 plan...
  3.    #3  
    Is the centro the right choice?
    For me, yes, Centro is the right choice. For you? Only you can decide if it is the right choice...

Elfyn
    Whoever said nothing is impossible never tried slamming a revolving door.
    You do not need a data plan for the Centro (or Treos or Q). The only phone you HAVE to have a data plan with is the crackberries. I have the Centro with no data plan, no texting plan, just a plain old voice plan (for now). I purchased it thru the VZW web site as an upgrade for $99.

Get NetworkDown to help control your network useage. It will shut the network connection off and it's free.

I love the Centro on VZW.

Rick
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetguru63 View Post
    You do not need a data plan for the Centro (or Treos or Q). The only phone you HAVE to have a data plan with is the crackberries. I have the Centro with no data plan, no texting plan, just a plain old voice plan (for now). I purchased it thru the VZW web site as an upgrade for $99.

Get NetworkDown to help control your network useage. It will shut the network connection off and it's free.

I love the Centro on VZW.

Rick
    So how do you get the good price and no data plan? They always insist on data for the price break.