Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    OK, I'm new to this forum and here's my situation.

I'll be taking a trip soon and I want to be able to keep in touch via email. In as much, I'm considering upgrading to the Centro. I only need this feature 4-5times/year.

I realize that to in order to get this feature, it will cost me some amount of money/month. Hence, can this feature be turned on or off via my provider (Verizon) at will? Or, is this unreasonable?
    Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by w5blt View Post
    OK, I'm new to this forum and here's my situation.

I'll be taking a trip soon and I want to be able to keep in touch via email. In as much, I'm considering upgrading to the Centro. I only need this feature 4-5times/year.

I realize that to in order to get this feature, it will cost me some amount of money/month. Hence, can this feature be turned on or off via my provider (Verizon) at will? Or, is this unreasonable?
    Depends on a few things. I presume that you currently have an internet provider for home use, and that this service has a pop3 access. If so, then you need a pop3 capable utility. I user chatteremail, but there are others. I believe you can install versamail personal edition free.
    If you don't have a data plan, you are loosing out on many of the great features of the Centro. Verizon now has a data plan for $30/mo, which is a pretty good deal.

It should be possible to get a limited data plan through Verizon. I think they are around $20/month. You really don't want a pay as you go plan (if you can even get one) as don't want to run up unwanted data charges. You can also get a data block on your phone from Verizon, but it's not something you can turn on and off.
    As long as you have a data plan you can use Versamail (free version) to access your POP email account as bbtdk says. It works fine. I don't sync it. I leave email on my server so I always get stuff to my computer, but if I'm on the road and want to check the mail, I can do so easily.

Or you can use Yahoo mail, Hotmail, or other web-based email sites.