1.    #1  
    So this happened a little bit ago:

I have a Dane Elec 4GB SDHC card that I had been using for music/backup/etc. with my 700p, and everything was working just fine. Then one night i left my headset plugged in and woke up to a completely dead phone. I plugged the phone in and let it charge a bit, but ever since then my treo will no longer recognize my 4gb card. In addition, the treo would only occasionally recognize my 1gb card. It it worth while to note that i used a hack listed somewhere on this forum to make my 700p SDHC compatible (I can find the thread again if need be). In an effort to fix this issue I tried re-transferring the slotdriver file, which i could not do due to a "read-only" error. I also tried deleting all slot driver files and re-installing the original, but also to no avail. I just let is slide for a while because I fear hard resets and the headaches they can bring, but i finally caved and did the reset. At this point my treo will recognize the 1gb card, but still not the 4gb.

In addition, my computer will no longer recognize the 4gb card either. In a last ditch effort I was trying to format the card and start over from scratch, but apparently I can't even do this any longer.

Any ideas as to how/why my treo seems to have killed my SD card? I haven't tried any other SDHC cards simply because I don't know anyone that owns one, but i suppose a new card would be the last thing I try. Any help is much appreciated.

--Chris
    ... that occasionally SD cards and other memory media will just stop working!

So you need a backup of your backup. There is a limit to how many times they can be read and written to, and other things can cause them to just stop working. I do not know if it is static electricity touching the contacts, moisture, a broken sliding switch, or whatever, but I have about 3 different cards (Diff manufacturers and diff sizes) that failed this way.

There is a fear that solid-state memory in a PC (EE PC? or other brand) not only costs more than hard drives, but may fail after enough use.

It usually takes a lot of use for it to fail, but my SDcards were not used that much and they died.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Since the early days during lots of play, I bought just about anything. Nowadays I buy Sandisk.
  4.    #4  
    well. that's unfortunate but you're probably right. while I'm here, does anyone know if there's an SD 4gb that isn't SDHC? If something is messed up with the treo and the SDHC hack will no longer work that would be my alternative. This does suck though, that card was only a few months old. I guess sandisk it is from here on out.
  5.    #5  
    although, it doesn't necessarily explain why the 1gb still works, but only sometimes. I'll re-post if I have further problems after the hard reset i just recently did.
    The SD standard only went to 2 gb. Any 4 gb cards out there will be hit or miss since they really aren't complying to any current standard.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    ... that occasionally SD cards and other memory media will just stop working!

There is a fear that solid-state memory in a PC (EE PC? or other brand) not only costs more than hard drives, but may fail after enough use.
    Kinda like the NVFS memory in the Treos....

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    I have a Sandisk that failed as well. Some brands may be better than others, but any card can fail. I would stay away from off-brands generally, though.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I had a PNY 512MB card die after I sold it to a friend. I called up PNY and they sent me a replacement, and my friend was happy.

All the other cards I've owned - SanDisk, RiData, Transcend...I've really liked the Transcend for their speed and price. SanDisk is also very good but a little more expensive. RiData 150x 4GB is Sloooooow as was the PNY.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!