Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    After I did the update tonight I noticed my centro was much slower. I ran Palminternals and my times went up to 700 ticks in 7 seconds. I removed the last few programs I had installed to see if they were the problem. Didn't help. So I did a hard reset and only reinstalled Palminternals. I got the same readings. I was at 70 ticks and 1 second before the update to 1.07
    Last edited by Powerpack; 07/26/2008 at 02:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    can you further explain? I dont really understand ticks. BUT I do know LightSpeed increase the time to launch programs by about 25% faster. Bumped it from 312mhz -> 520mhz
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    The program PalmInternals measures how effecient programs are written and the effect that has on the speeed of the device. Programs use of dbcache and memory heaps and hede. All those elements go into the speed test of the program which is measured in ticks and seconds. I have carefully chosen programs that do a good job with hede (the amout of memory a program holds on to and doesn't release). Something with the update caused my numbers to go up. The numbers I got after the update are not terrible but something is badly wrong because I am seeing delays (white screen) as bad or worse than my old 700P before the Sprint update for it.
    Overall I'd say mine is the same or faster in some cases (i.e. Blazer). However, I have noticed a couple times that it slowed down for several seconds, reminiscent of the old low-signal/network change slowdown exhibited on the 650 and 700p. Not sure if that was the cause of the slowdown, but it may well could have been. Never noticed this before the flash upgrade.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I believe it may be a weak signal problem. I was away from home today and had a better signal and the delay was not near as noticable. Signing in to Power Vision also seems to take longer and in blazer when you request a web page it just sits on sending for a long time. Sometimes it takes up to 30 seconds to go from sending to recieving on a web page. I did not have this problem before the update. I talked with Sprint tech support and we did a subsidy reset which took everything back to factory default and reprovisioned the phone but it is still not right. I believe next week I am going to request an insurance exchange. I think more people would be interested in this thread if it was a bigger problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerpack View Post
    After I did the update tonight I noticed my centro was much slower. I ran Palminternals and my times went up to 700 ticks in 7 seconds. I removed the last few programs I had installed to see if they were the problem. Didn't help. So I did a hard reset and only reinstalled Palminternals. I got the same readings. I was at 70 ticks and 1 second before the update to 1.07
    You don't have to do a hard reset. Boot your Centro into Safe Mode. This will turn off the phone radio and close all applications.

Then go to the launcher and run Palm Internals. I'll bet the numbers will be lower.

The update installed some things like Google Maps My Location, which might be the reason for the higher ticks.

It might be interesting to see if the CDMA Verizon users have the higher ticks since their Centros came with my location already installed when their Centros were released.

I have not seen a slow down with my Sprint Centro after the update. I only have two items grabbing a hede hook.

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    You don't have to do a hard reset. Boot your Centro into Safe Mode. This will turn off the phone radio and close all applications.

Then go to the launcher and run Palm Internals. I'll bet the numbers will be lower.

The update installed some things like Google Maps My Location, which might be the reason for the higher ticks.

It might be interesting to see if the CDMA Verizon users have the higher ticks since their Centros came with my location already installed when their Centros were released.

I have not seen a slow down with my Sprint Centro after the update. I only have two items grabbing a hede hook.

Just gave that a try and it is still at 570 ticks and 5 seconds. I don't really believe that is the problem. I am going to redo the update and see if something did not take properly. Just comparing my wife's centro without the update and mine after there is a huge difference.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I was curious about this so I installed PalmInternals on a 1.05 and 1.07 phone.

I didn't bother hard resetting my 1.05 phone since it had lots of stuff installed. I get around 130 tics for that one.

The 1.07 phone was reset from the 1.07 ROM upgrade and was 700 tics.

However the 1.07 unit doesn't seem any slower. I started various apps and the start time was the same.

According to PalmInternals the Speed Test is timing how long it takes to extract 10000 keypress events from the queue. If there is a slowdown in this area where should I notice it first? How do I confirm the slowdown outside of PalmInternals?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    I was curious about this so I installed PalmInternals on a 1.05 and 1.07 phone.

I didn't bother hard resetting my 1.05 phone since it had lots of stuff installed. I get around 130 tics for that one.

The 1.07 phone was reset from the 1.07 ROM upgrade and was 700 tics.

However the 1.07 unit doesn't seem any slower. I started various apps and the start time was the same.

According to PalmInternals the Speed Test is timing how long it takes to extract 10000 keypress events from the queue. If there is a slowdown in this area where should I notice it first? How do I confirm the slowdown outside of PalmInternals?
    Thanks for checking this on your updated treo. The amount of ticks even at 700 on the new update should not be enough to really notice. I have seen an increase in the white screen lag that was present on the old 700P on my Centro. When comparing it to my wife's Centro I can see a big difference. I don't think the additional tics in PalmInternals is the entire problem. I can wake up my Centro and sometimes it will be on a white screen. It will stay there til I hit a menu button. Sometimes when I turn the phone on it will start to connect to blazer and stay on the white screen. I thought it might be related to a weak signal, which I have at my home, but I was away this weekend and I still had the problem with a strong signal. I am going tomorrow to try and get a Sprint store to exchange my phone for one without the update. I don't need the My Location enough to put up with the slowdown.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I have seen an increase in the white screen lag that was present on the old 700P on my Centro. When comparing it to my wife's Centro I can see a big difference. I don't think the additional tics in PalmInternals is the entire problem. I can wake up my Centro and sometimes it will be on a white screen. It will stay there til I hit a menu button. Sometimes when I turn the phone on it will start to connect to blazer and stay on the white screen.
    I tested turning on (bringing out of sleep) the 1.07 and 1.05 Centro side by side 10 times and the white screen that showed up prior to the phone dialpad was the same for both. Actually until you mentioned the white screen lag, I never noticed it because it is so short.

I'm wondering if there is something specific to your install that is causing the white screen lag. My 1.07 Centro doesn't behave that way.

If it is related to the signal strength, then if you turn off the Phone Radio (press and hold the red END button) then the signal strength should have no effect. If it still has lag, then it is something on the Palm side of the device, rather than the signal/Sprint side.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    I ran TomTom GPS on a 1.07 and a 1.05 Centro.

Calculated route from West to East coast. Took the same time on both phones, around 1 min 37 sec.

It is possible 1.07 processes keypress events slower, but I don't think the device is slower in general. I don't really notice it being any slower for processing keypresses either.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
    I ran TomTom GPS on a 1.07 and a 1.05 Centro.

Calculated route from West to East coast. Took the same time on both phones, around 1 min 37 sec.

It is possible 1.07 processes keypress events slower, but I don't think the device is slower in general. I don't really notice it being any slower for processing keypresses either.
    I got my problem fixed. Here is what I did that fixed the problem. I redownloaded the update. Before I installed the update I went in to the phone and did a subsidy reset where you enter the unlock code and reset to factory presets. Then I redid the update. I had to call Sprint after the update and have them reactivate the phone. It went through provisioning just fine and when I was finished I have not had the white screen again. I have had a few resets like I have read about in other posts but not the pesky white screen.

I believe the problem had to do with provisioning. The phone would not go to provision manually after I did the first update. Sprint walked me through the process of a subsidy reset on one of my calls which did not fix the problem. My last try was to do the subsidy reset one more time and then reinstall the update. That fixed the problem.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I got my problem fixed. Here is what I did that fixed the problem. I redownloaded the update. Before I installed the update I went in to the phone and did a subsidy reset where you enter the unlock code and reset to factory presets. Then I redid the update. I had to call Sprint after the update and have them reactivate the phone. It went through provisioning just fine and when I was finished I have not had the white screen again. I have had a few resets like I have read about in other posts but not the pesky white screen.

I believe the problem had to do with provisioning. The phone would not go to provision manually after I did the first update. Sprint walked me through the process of a subsidy reset on one of my calls which did not fix the problem. My last try was to do the subsidy reset one more time and then reinstall the update. That fixed the problem.

The second time around... how did you restore your phone? Backup program? or just hotsync and installed the programs 1by1?
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    I used NVbackup both times but I think the problem was with the auctual update. It somehow effected my provisioning. When I did the first update I had problems doing the provisioning after the update completed. After I got it to provision I started having the problems. The phone would not reprovision after that without me doing a subsidy reset which totally put the phone back to it's orginal state. I then did the update again and didn't have the problem.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I used NVbackup both times but I think the problem was with the auctual update. It somehow effected my provisioning. When I did the first update I had problems doing the provisioning after the update completed. After I got it to provision I started having the problems. The phone would not reprovision after that without me doing a subsidy reset which totally put the phone back to it's orginal state. I then did the update again and didn't have the problem.
    Provisioning... isn't that to setup network settings. If you goto Preferences > Network > click serviced drop down menu and you'll see Sprint Provisioning (to reprovision the phone).

Did you ever get a 7-10 second white screen with the word "processing" when launching blazer? That is my problem..

I get 957 Ticks..but I got Butler Running
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    I have not seen a slow down with my Sprint Centro after the update.
    Thank you for throwing in that clarification about the update being for Sprint. Those of us on different carriers might wonder whether we missed something.
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl360 View Post
    Provisioning... isn't that to setup network settings. If you goto Preferences > Network > click serviced drop down menu and you'll see Sprint Provisioning (to reprovision the phone).

Did you ever get a 7-10 second white screen with the word "processing" when launching blazer? That is my problem..

I get 957 Ticks..but I got Butler Running
    That is the way it is suppose to work but after my first attempt at doing the update I had trouble with the provisioning. The provisioning gave me an error message and it took several tries to get it to work. It finally provisioned and thats when everything on the device slowed down. The biggest slowdown seemed to be going into Blazer. It just go to a white screen for 10-12 seconds, no processing on the screen. When I would wake up the phone to use it the screen would be white most every time. Everything was slower. I tried to do a reprovision as you described above but it would not do anything.

I called Sprint and they had me do a subsidy reset and re activated my phone but that did not fix the problem. I decided to do another subsidy reset on my own and this time before I provisioned I was going to do a reinstall of the update. I did that and then had to call in and reactivate my phone. From that time forward the long delay and white screens were gone. Something in the update did slow down the phone a little because before the update I was at 110 ticks and 1 second.
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    I did redone the Sprint Update 1.07 again. So FAR i'm have NOT to yet gotten Processing LAG.

Instead of just restoring everything after the Updated. I used NVbackup to SELECTIVE restore to only contacts, messaging, butler, powerhero, diddlebug, JAVA, Kinoma, Takephone, USB Modem, Card Reader. (didn't want to restore everything because there maybe some currupted files)

Also NOTE.. I DELETED the Hotsync ID on the desktop, so I doesn't restored my old stuff. But when you hotsync again, make sure you create the same ID.

So far doing things this way has made my centro very snappy. There is NO white screen delay when switching back and forth from Home and Text Message. Before i was able to count 1 second of white screen lag.

I'm steadily adding apps (while creating restore points) and checking for lag...and any "Processing..." delays.

Update: I just installed Palm Internals... launched did the speed test and Tics test.

Afterwards I launch Blazer and it the processing... (10 second delay) appeared.

I restored before I installed Palm Internals. So far so good.