1.    #1  
    I admit I haven't gone through all the threads here on battery drain/sleep mode problems, so I apologize if you guys already know the technique I am presenting.

I have had the power drain from not going into sleep mode (turn the power off and it continues to drain like it is still on). My battery would go from 100% down to 30% in about 8 hours without using the device and having all radios turned off. Soft resetting the device (pulling the battery) did not help.

So, here's what I did after lots of trial and error and reading:
    1) download a program called "Cleanstart." I found this program at 1src.com.
    2) run the prc and click "all off."
    3) hit "reset" in the upper right corner.

At this point, the reset actually fixed my battery drain, as whatever program was causing the consumption is now stopped. You can gradually select the programs you want running on restart, and see if there is one that causes the drain.

One way to see if the battery is still draining on sleep is to use "TreoBattery." I think I found this program at TreoNauts. For some reason treobattery doesn't run perfectly on my Centro as I can't read any of the letters (like a foreign language!), but here's what I did:
    1) Run Treobattery and select the pull down menu.
    2) Select the third choice ("s")
    3) Select the second choice ("Rem skfjalsdkfj LED")
    4) Turn the device off. If the Centro goes into sleep mode, the green LED will shut off. Your battery will now function more appropriately.

Obviously, this is not a solution, but it at least fixes the problem. I have all my "hacks" running without problem (Butler, Hi-Launcher, Zlauncher, font-smoother, treoalarm, and Snapcalc). Hope this helps, and good luck.
    So did you figure out which program was the problem?
    Mike
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mbranscum View Post
    So did you figure out which program was the problem?
    No, hence my title, "fixed, but not solved, my battery problem."

Weird thing is, I'm using all of my core programs without incident. I don't know exactly when it stopped going into sleep mode, and I don't know what program was causing the problem. I let my friends play with my Centro, and for all I know they could have started up something that made it malfunction.

Bottom line, my baby is now working properly...I was nearly ready to give up!
    Global Posts
    213 Global Posts
    Using treo battery I was able to narrow it done to the IR BEAM being OFF. It no longer occurs after the sprint update. But Sprint Email and IM does drain your battery, it has bugs.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by mxl360 View Post
    Using treo battery I was able to narrow it done to the IR BEAM being OFF. It no longer occurs after the sprint update. But Sprint Email and IM does drain your battery, it has bugs.
    From my experience, the IR Beam had no effect on my sleep state. Also, I don't use my Centro as a phone, so I have never used IM or email on this device. Mine is AT&T.
    In my case it appeared to be the Messaging (SMS) app on my Sprint Centro. Removing it in CleanStart makes the Centro always sleep properly. Unfortunately it also completely breaks the SMS app so no messages show at all.

I have it enable now and just have to do a reset on a fairly regular basis when the Centro stops sleeping properly. That's also kinda rough since about one of four resets will make it lose all of it's preferences and I have to restore from backup.

But it works great most of the time!
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    All this is regarding Sprint Centro. It probably is valid also for Verizon Centro, but I haven't tested with the version.

The Centro is supposed to drain at 3mA every 5min when sleeping properly (phone radio on, no apps using network, BT disabled, IR disabled) This gives you around 2 days of usage with mild network and calling.

With Bluetooth paired to headset, 7mA every 5min. This gives you 1-1.5 days with mild network and calling.

With Phone Radio disabled and BT disabled, around 0-1mA every 5min. This gives you about a week or more of battery life, obviously with zero network and calling usage.

That's your baseline for comparison.

There are many potential causes for excessive battery drain.

There was a bug with earlier VersaMail that caused it to continuously connect and fail if you had a password that didn't work. This would rapidly drain your battery because the network connection was constantly on, uselessly checking a bad password. There was an update to VersaMail to fix this.

I'm sure there are other apps as well that can similarly use the network and drain the battery, but I don't have a definitive list.

There are also apps the prevent the phone from transitioning from REM Sleep to real Sleep mode. Again I don't have a definite list.

There are also various small savings you can get by disabling BT and IR, so if you have these turned off normally, and someone or something turns them on unexpectedly, you could notice more battery drain normal.

For CDMA phones (not sure about others) when the phone is searching for signal, it uses much more power than after it finds a signal. So basically if you are in a low signal area, your phone will probably be constantly searching for signal and this will use up battery much faster. Many times if there is no or very little signal, you are better of turning the phone radio off.

Then there is also something called TGP (The Glenn Phenomenon) which you can google about. Basically when you have TGP, the phone properly enters REM Sleep, then real Sleep modes, but instead of draining at 3mA / 5min like it normally does, it drains between 32-41mA / 5 min. This is with *no network activity*, BT disabled, etc. It just starts draining 10x as fast as it should be. This is with the screen turned off and almost everything disabled. People are shocked to find they haven't used the phone yet their battery life is 10x less than expected.

The problem lies somewhere in the phone radio. It is unclear exactly the cause, but some have reported it is related to your phone calls not being terminated properly.

I have been able to reliably reproduce this bug by simply calling *2 (customer service) and hanging up after you hear the pre-recorded voice.

Prior to making the *2 call my Centro drained at 3mA / 5min. After the call it drains at 32-41mA / 5min. There are other ways to trigger TGP, but they are less reliable. I'm able to reproduce this problem (reliably and repeatedly) using a clean phone (just factory reset) with just Power Hero logging the drain #s, so I have no other apps running. I've reproduced this with 1.05 and 1.07 ROMs.

The good news is once you are aware of the TGP problem affecting you, you can "workaround" the problem by holding the red "End" button to disable the Phone Radio, and holding it again to enable. Basically power cycle the phone radio and TGP goes away and you are back to 3mA / 5min drain. You can also call a regular phone # and terminate the call and this will work around the problem as well.

Now TGP is not something that happens all the time nor is it the only battery drain cause, but it is something that hits you unexpectedly and causes people to stress out, mostly when they aren't aware of it.

However once you are aware of it and that it can be worked around simply by cycling the radio on your phone or calling a regular number and hanging up, then it isn't as troubling.

If you are seeing excessive battery drain, I highly suggest you install some software that lets you see the battery drain. Some are using treobattery. Personally I use Power Hero and configure it to log the battery drain every 5 minutes.

I would start first by factory reseting the phone to see if you have battery drain problems with a clean phone. Then add your stuff in one by one until you find the culprit, keeping in mind the culprit might be TGP and the phone radio.
    Last edited by sfhub; 07/28/2008 at 12:13 PM.
    LavendarPekoe, on the verizon battery drain thread, suggested turning off the "automatic clock update".
    I did this, and detailed it in the vzw thread, and I have seen noticable improvement.
    Has anyone else tried this?
    So far it seems to have helped a great deal. (Charged to 100% on Friday at 5 pm, moderate use all weekend, no additional charging, and at 25% as of Monday at 10:00 am)
    I suggest taking Lavendar's advice and giving that a try.
    Hello.

I have a Palm Centro in Spain, so my carrier is Vodafone.

I use Power Hero 1.18 and I would like to compare my battery usage with the info you provide, but I haven't found exactly where I can see the current mA usage.

The only place where I can see mA is Power Hero -> Main -> View Graph -> In the title I can see "Discharge Rate: 161 mA".

Is there where I have to look for the battery usage?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    2,486 Global Posts
    Under Power Saver->Misc
    Enable "Log drain rate every 5 minutes"

Next time you enter Power Hero, press Option L. This will get you the log screen which will have the drain rate (amongst other things). Power Hero will have logged the drain every 5 minutes even if your phone is sleeping.

This feature might only be available on newer versions of Power Hero, I forget when it was added.
    I agree with mabus (and LavendarPekoe), I disabled the automatic clock update and now my battery lasts a lot more.

I have installed also TimeDrift to avoid the delay of the time when the Centro is reset... but it seems to create stability problems.
    I'd like to add my experience to this thread. A few days ago, I noticed that my Centro went from fully charged to completely dead in about 10 hours. This is with the BT, IR, and internet connection off. I wasn't placing calls or using the Centro in any other manner. I hadn't installed any 3rd party applications recently either. It was seemingly random. Normally, I can get at least a couple days of use out of my phone without charging.

I searched the net for many many hours and installed Treo Battery, which BTW is a great program. I configured it to turn on the green LED when the Centro was in REM sleep.

I then found a post where someone patched a similar problem by turning IR beam ON (I know, weird) and resetting. This also patched my problem, but left me very confused as to why turning ON IR beam would patch the problem.

After some further searching, I installed CleanStart. After a bit of playing around, I found that a nice warm reset (File -> Nice warm reset) with CleanStart solved my problem.

Now I am able to have IR beam off, and my Centro will go to sleep like it is supposed to. I hope some people find this information useful.
    Global Posts
    938 Global Posts
    I would suspect that the lockups I have with my Centro is also somehow related to this. Ive noticed it drained the battery fully a couple of times but usally it just freeze if left untouched for a longer period of time and then get an incoming or outgoing call task.
    jescholler---Did you notice if your Centro was warm to the touch after the battery drained down?
    Quote Originally Posted by nickf126 View Post
    jescholler---Did you notice if your Centro was warm to the touch after the battery drained down?
    Mine gets very warm when the battery is being drained.

I turned off time and it really helped my battery life, but I have to manually set it every now and again. It still drains at ~130 while I am using it though.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Mine gets very warm when the battery is being drained.

I turned off time and it really helped my battery life, but I have to manually set it every now and again. It still drains at ~130 while I am using it though.
    Check the advanced prefs of NVbackUp. It can adjust the clock daily based on internet time.