Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Exactly how do I delete Java, (official name WebSphere Everyplace Micro Environment) from my Centro? I installed a Java using WEME 5.7 a few months ago. I tried using Opera Mini, and had some serious hard reset issues when doing so.

Today's Sprint update for Google Maps/My Location cleared out all the centro's apps, but I see the Java files are back again after a HotSync. I was hoping they would get cleaned out and stay out. And maybe I will start new with an older Java and anewer Opera.

Using FileZ, here's what I can see on the Internal ROM: Several files that start with J9, such as "J9 WebServices S...", "J9RMS 1213640". If I view by Creator, there are several values in the list that have j9 as the first two characters, and the third and fourth character vary, (j9am, j9FC, j9pa, j9PL, j9pm, j9pp). Some have the Creator as MIDI. If I delete all the j9* and MIDI files , one by one, will that clean out the Java installation?

Using FileZ to look at my SD card, I see two more files under the folder Palm > Programs, named j9stdout.txt, and j9stderr.txt, (standard Output and Standard Error?). The creator value for these displays as a dash, as do all the other files on the SD Card. I assume I should delete these files also?

I also do not want Java to reinstall when I do another hotsync, as happened after the hard reset for the Google Maps ROM update today. So I looked under palmOne\{device name}\Backup on my PC, and I see several J9* files. Fewer, (5 to be exact), than I see on the device using FileZ. But this does look like where the Java files came from after the hard reset (although I'm not clear how these files go from 5 on the PC to 11 on the device). And so I presume I need to simply delete the J9* files from this folder so they do not get reinstalled during the next HotSync?

To summarize, there are four questions here:
    1. On the internal ROM, do I delete everything with creator starting with J9*? Or are there more?
    2. On the SD card, delete the two files j9*.txt?
    3. Manually delete the J9* files from palmOne\{device name}\Backup?
    And last,
    4. Isn't there a cleaner way to do this delete/removal? This couldn't be more disconnected, manual and un-intuitive. I realize there is no conduit for this Java installation (assumign that would make it cleaner to delete/remove), and the ReadMe that came in the WEME571.zip file makes no mention of how to uninstall.
    i'm not the best person to answer your questions, however in my experience WEME571 (october 2004) is more unstable than 572 (January 2007)
    Deletion is done via the system preferences - there is an entry there for it.
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Deletion is done via the system preferences - there is an entry there for it.
    I don't have that. I think I did before the recent upgrade and ROM reset, but the entry is gone.
    You could try reinstalling Java, and see if the option reappears. I have Java installed, and have not done the 1.07 update yet, and although I do have both the "IBM Java VM" and "J9 Java Options" selections in the system prefs, I could not find an option in either for uninstall, so I don't even know if this option exists.

Another possibility is to use Filez, and delete anything that starts with "IBM", "Java", or "J9".
    Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    I looked at the ReadMe and ReleaseNotes.txt, and unfortunately none of then mention unintalls.

It annoys me that deleting this is so disconnected and there's so much guesswork needed to figure it out.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I looked at the ReadMe and ReleaseNotes.txt, and unfortunately none of then mention unintalls.

It annoys me that deleting this is so disconnected and there's so much guesswork needed to figure it out.
    I did what TJSunDevil with FileZ, it was seamless to remove.

The reason it's so hard to delete is because Palm doesn't support it on the Centro and a program like this on a strictly supported device probably wouldn't get deleted. You get?